tender ears

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PeterDevonMocha, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Mocha has been really good about us testing her so much. Lately though, within the past two months, she is fighting us, bobbing her head all around and putting her paws up to her ears when we test them. We are using the neo on her ears, we were using it just at night, but now we are using it in the mornings as well. Today I noticed that on one of her ears, she has some definite bumps, looks like they could be red, but with her ears being black, it's hard to tell. She ducks her head away when I go to touch them so I imagine they hurt.

The last time she was at the vet, the vet told me to stop testing so much. She said it hurts, and she doesn't need to be tested that often. Of course that hasn't stopped me and now I dread the idea of calling the vet for ideas on how to soothe her sore ears.

Is there anything else we can do for mocha, other then the neo? Or if that is it, how often can we apply it, without it being too often?

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Do you have the neo ointment with Pain Reliever?

it has a mild numbing agent that really helps my allergy cat. He hates plain ointment, but actually comes to me when he needs it now that I switched to the pain relieving neosporin ointment.

3. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

yes it is neo with pain relief in it.

4. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a limit on how often you can apply it

Could you try poking at a lighter lancet device setting?

For example - Tiggy has tough ears and we have the device set for 4/5. Rusty has softer ears and we change the setting to 3/5.

5. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hi Devon-

I feel for ya. Boomer never protested during ear pokes but when I talked to the animal communicator she said it hurt him and he didn't like it. <<<GUILT>>>>
    What about using her paw? I tired it with Boomer. It's a bit awkward, but it's a new spot.
    His ears got bumpy and scabbed up too. I guess in the end it's better for us to know what their BG's are. Maybe you can reduce testing to 2-3 times a day for a while?
    Hugs!

6. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

Bruising and tenderness are caused by inflammation. Constant testing will cause this, so will infection.

After you are done testing etc. You might try applying a cool or cold washcloth to the ear about a half hour later. Sort of like putting ice on it.

7. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

do you reuse the lancet? Or do you use it one time only?

If you reuse - you may want to not do that and use it one time only - as it can dull after use, not to mention possible infections as blue pointed out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.