Test strips

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Louie B, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Louie B

Louie B Member

can I use another brand test strips for alpha trak? I need some ASAP!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Some people use Freestyle Insulinex strips successfully. Generally, though, you can't put just any strip into a meter. Most of us would suggest you buy a human meter that has cheap strips that give a reading with only a tiny blood drop. There are more options in the US. If you're in Canada, all strips are expensive but AlphaTrak strips are REALLY pricey.

3. Louie B

Louie B Member

Thanks for your response. What type meter, and what’s the normal reading for cats?

4. Louie B

Louie B Member

I’m in USA.

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm in Canada so I'm not aware of the range of human meters you have. Walmart's house brand, ReliOn, is popular although I think one of the models that was used by many is discontinued. You can ask that question specifically on this forum.

As for normal reading for cats: ideal would be a nadir in the 50 to 80 range as measured on a human meter. They read lower than a pet meter. It might be 80 to 120 or so on an AT meter. Have you read this or any of the other yellow info stickies from the Lantus forum?
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ntus-basaglar-levemir-group-start-here.18139/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.