Testing a cats urine

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathy, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy

Kathy Member

I am at a loss as to how to do it confused_cat
    We have 2 cats s boxes.

I assume he can not go on the cat litter...so then what?
    It was a nightmare trying to get urine from the vet to test.

He will not let me follow him to the litter box. He gets back out with out going and walks away like "Can a guy have a little privacy please!!"
    They are use to a hooded litter box and will not go in one that is open.

Help!!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Sometimes placing clean plastic wrap over the litter helps in that the cat might still urinate on the plastic. Another alternate is to get a clean box and put clean aquarium gravel (or similar non absorbent material) in the box and test right after the cat leaves the box.

3. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Larry's suggestions are good. You can also get a Smart Box at this site (uses non-absorbent litter and catches the urine in a tray below) or use the Breeze litter system without the absorbent pad. In an emergency you can try an empty litter box or one with just a teensy bit of litter in it.

4. Tara and Nick

Tara and Nick Member

Here's what I do to test my cat's urine with ketodiastix...

1) Pour a little plain water into the box to make a clump, then stick a test stick in it so it gets nice and wet, and wipe off the litter with a paper towel. Start counting the proper amount of time for a result (best to start counting as soon as the stick is wet even if you haven't wiped it off yet). If there is no change to the test stick colors at all, it means your litter won't affect the result. (If there is a change in colors, this method will not work. I use Tidy Cat and there is no change.)
    2) Now try it the same way on real pee. Try to get it right after he goes so the clump will be super wet.

I don't know for 100% certain if this is as accurate as dipping it in a stream of pee, but it's the best I can do with a cat who won't let me near the box while he's peeing and who uses a covered box. He's never had ketones, but the glucose part of the ketodiastix is generally consistent with what I see in my home blood tests.

5. mooreay

mooreay New Member

hi all,

We have a civvie and our sugar cat sharing a litter tray. Before we started using a meter and hometesting we would isoate them for the day when we wanted a urine sample. We have two litter trays sitting inside one another. The top tray has holes punched through it - making it a litter colinder and filled with aquarium gravel. That way when Loki would use the tray the urine would drain through and be sampled later.

The hard part of course is isolating the pair of them for the day....

6. Kathy

Kathy Member

That is a great idea.
    The smart box is quite pricey!!

I agree with keeping them apart.
    They will never be best friends, but I tell you what they know what the other one is doing at ALL times.

Crazy cats...LOL

7. alexia&wednesday

alexia&wednesday Member

My vet told me you can remove the clump of litter (i usually hear my cat leave the box, and then i go gather her litter)...i stick it in a bowl that i use specifically for this.
    then i add water to the litter, and try and mix it a little to get the urine out of the clump of clay (i use tidycats).
    I have been able to test that way, and it *does* say there is glucose present, and i have gotten varying levels, so i assume it is somewhat accurate.

hope this helps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.