testing for protein loss

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sara and Buttercup, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara and Buttercup

Sara and Buttercup Member

other than testing pee, can protein loss show up in the blood work? is that was the abulin and globulin show? my vet didn't do these tests yesterday when i brought my cat in even though i asked him to.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi sara

no you want to see if protein is in the urine only. You shouldn't see a protein loss in the blood unless there is a much more critical issue.

I read your other posts -- cats rarely get the type of kidney disease which causes protein loss, and benazepril/enalapril is used successfully to reduce damage from that type of kidney disease. The standard "CRF" cat old-age disease does not benefit from benazepril as far as anyone can tell. Individual vets feel it has made a difference and may continue to use it despite the recently published studies.

Do you have the results ofyour cat's urinalysis? Do you know what the specific gravity of the urine was? What were the levels of BUN/creat/phosphorous in the blood ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.