Testing Newbie: Bad First Experience

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Livvy's Lady, May 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

Good morning ~

Livvy and I tried to do our first test with the Alpha Trak II this morning, not that the model of tester matters because I was unsuccessful. Livvy jumped every time I tried to use the lancet needle. (I'm not using a lancet device - just a needle. I tried a 28 gauge and a 32 gauge when I failed with the 28.)

Livvy's ears are black, so I was having a hard time seeing if any blood had come...except that I saw a tiny smear of it on my finger after one attempt. I couldn't use it, though. In testing example videos (Yong sent me some, plus I watched some on YouTube), the cat doesn't seem to react.

What could I be doing wrong...and is there a trick to seeing the bead of blood on black ears?

I'm so discouraged because on top of it all, Livvy's appetite isn't good. She only ate half of her portion this morning. I gave 2 units instead of her usual 3 per the vet's instructions when she doesn't eat well. We had the same issue last night. She actually seemed to feel better on the lower dose despite not eating much...but I need to test!

Any help will be much appreciated!

P.S. She usually hoovers all of her food plus some of our other cat's food, so this not eating much thing is worrisome, too. The stress of all of this is getting to me today. I want her to be ok so badly!

2. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Boomer's ears are black but I don't have any trouble seeing the blood. Are you able to change the location you test in to get better light perhaps? Or is there someone else with you that could possibly hold a flashlight until you get more experience in testing?
    Many of us use a rice sock to make it easier to draw blood. Take a sock, fill the foot of it with rice then tie a knot at the top and warm it in the microwave. I warm Boomer's for 20 seconds. Hold it on the ear for a few seconds. It really does help! I also use a lancet device although I know that some beans use just the needle.

Glennie likes this.
  3. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

My husband could hold a flashlight for me...or I could use a headlamp if he's not around. Good idea!

What about the jumping? The 32g needle is so thin that I was hoping that she wouldn't feel it, but clearly she did.

Would a lancet hurt less for some reason?

Thank you!

Judy and Boomer and saltycat like this.
  4. Jen1218

Jen1218 Member

Headlamp should definitely help. My guy is pretty cooperative, but sometimes he won't bleed on the first try. If he won't give me the goods - I'll poke him 2-3 times in rapid succession (like a sewing machine needle) in a tiny area. That usually does the trick.

And yes - use lancets. The higher the number - the finer the needle.

5. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

Thanks, Jen. Does Rudy react when you prick his ear? That surprised me when I tried on Livvy; other cats don't seem to react. I don't want to torture the poor thing. She's already feeling generally crappy.

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  6. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Livvy's Lady and Jen1218 like this.
  7. Jen1218

Jen1218 Member

Sometimes he reacts. Not usually though. He lets me test him at will, so he's mostly not bothered by it. (It just interrupts his naps.) I have better luck with a 33g lancet vs. 29g with him, but every cat is different. I also freehand the lancet. I can't manage that pen thing they give you for it.

8. saltycat

saltycat Well-Known Member

They do get more used to it as time goes on... some are more fiesty then others. Jack is black too and I find a headlamp works great for seeing the blood. Is he a food motivated cat, a petting motivated cat. Associating something good with the test helps. Jack knows he gets a chicken treat after the test and is happy to trade a quick poke for a tasty treat.

Picking a consisitent test spot so the cat knows what to expect can help establish a routine. Some finicky cats work best by slowly introducing each step. Start by putting them in the spot, then rewarding them. Then in the spot, hold them and play with the ear a bit, then reward.... slowly work up to actually testing. Most of us use the free-hand method you are using, the device clicks which can startle some cats.

My best advice is keep at it, it gets easier as time goes on and as you test more the capillaries buildup in the ears making it easier to get some blood. It was hard for me at first and I have a very cooperative patient. Now I can test while talking to a client on the phone and not skip a beat.

If you shine a flashlight from the inside of the ear, you can see the veins in the ear when looking at the fuzzy side. You want to go inbetween the vein and the outside edge of the ear. Hitting the vein can be painful.

Glennie and Jen1218 like this.
  9. Judy and Boomer

For me the lancet device was much quicker than using the needle but I did try 3 or 4 different ones before finding one that I liked. And warming the ear with the rice sock will help dull the pain and make it quicker to bleed.

Glennie and Livvy's Lady like this.
  10. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

Using a headlamp seems like a great idea. Thanks for the link!

I used rice warmed in a sock to rub/warm her ear. She liked that part.

I was trying to test on the back of the ear. I'll try the inside of the ear next. That, along with the headlamp, would probably make things easier to see. Thanks!

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  11. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

What lancet device do you use? Thanks, Judy!

Judy and Boomer likes this.
  12. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

I'm hoping to make the 32g lancet work. I may try a lancet device next since I'm now skittish about freehand. Hopefully this will get easier!

Jen1218 likes this.
  13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm surprised that no one mentioned using a very small dab of Neosporin Pain Relief ointment. It's an antibiotic ointment (don't get the cream) that gives the area a tiny bit of numbing and because it's oily, helps the blood to bead up. It's carried in most pharmacies and probably even some supermarkets.

Livvy's Lady likes this.
  14. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

Lucky for us, Livvy is pretty docile. Reading your post, I think that I was probably hitting the vein. Poor Livvy!

She is food motivated most of the time, but we feed her on a really strict schedule. Maybe it's not necessary any more, but while she was in remission we developed the habit of feeding 2x/day, and limiting access to the food to three hours starting at each feeding time 12 hours apart. From what I've read, that was a good strategy to keep her body producing insulin. Is that still a good habit while she's on Lantus?

At any rate, luckily she likes petting a lot, and loves hugs. Since she's been sick, she loves it when I hold her - she rests her head on my throat and purrs while laying on me like a rag doll. It's sweet but also sad to see her with her energy so low. Regardless of this, I can reward here with extra hugs and kisses!

I'm also fortunate that she loves having her ears stroked, right up to the tips. I've done that with her for years, so having her ears handled isn't an issue. Poking a vein - that's an issue. I'm hoping that was the problem this morning. If at first you don't succeed, try try again, as they say!

It's heartening to know that you struggled at first but now can do this easily. That gives me hope. Thanks!

15. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

That makes perfect sense and sounds like an excellent idea. I'll pick some up on my way home from work. Thanks!

16. Nicole Z

Nicole Z Well-Known Member

I use a 30g lancet that I get at walmart with the relion supplies

Livvy's Lady likes this.
  17. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

Thanks!

18. Jen1218

Jen1218 Member

It does get easier. Lots of great info and people on here to help us through too. :)

19. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

So glad to hear that! It's terrific to have this forum as a resource. My husband and I feel like we're really high maintenance with our vet - we have soooo many questions - and it's great to have such a knowledgeable community to assist.

Jen1218 likes this.
  20. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Jones ears are dark grey and I sometimes lose the drops. I started off with my DH holding the flashlight too. Eventually I got to a point I knew what I was seeing so to speak without the flashlight.

I was using 31 gauge lancets and recently moved to 28 gauge. I prefer the 28 gauge - way easier to get a drop from as the hole seems to be just the right size to get a quick drop.. I find if when he gets irritated (which still happens some days) I pick up the drop in my thumb nail and let him go. I can then test from there. Heck the other day he twitched his head and I lost the drop on the table just as I was putting the meter to it - I just stuck the meter in the drop and got my reading.

It takes awhile for their ears to "learn" to bleed. The Neosporin is great - I put it on Jones ears each night when I am done testing for the day.

21. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

Thanks, Tracey. Now for tonight I can be armed with a few tools that I didn't have this morning (Neosporin Pain Relief being at the top of the list). I have a headlamp, flashlight and 28g lancets at home. Hopefully I'll have better luck tonight than this morning. Thanks again!

22. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

Gordy has furry, dark ears too. And I had so much trouble seeing the blood too.

It definitely gets easier (as others have said) and your kitty's ear will bleed "easier" for you too.

:bighug:

23. Judy and Boomer

I use the Bayer Microlet II. It does make a tiny clicking noise which I really thought would scare Boomer because he is so skittish but it doesn't bother him in the slightest.

Livvy's Lady likes this.
  24. Judy and Boomer

Ditto on the neosporin pain relief!!

Livvy's Lady likes this.
  25. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

Thanks, Judy! I'm thinking that I'll go with a lancet device until I gain more confidence.

26. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

Thanks, Nicole!

27. Judy and Boomer

I found it easier than using just the needle but others have luck with just the needle so it's whatever is easiest for you!

28. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Some people get a strip of their cats ears shaved. I seem to be the only one using an Aviva Accucheck ( a human meter), the reason I got it was because Consumers Digest said it was very accurate and it takes an incredibly small amount of blood to function. Most people here use the Relion meter (Walmart) which I believe has a setting for cats and dogs. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. I use Accuchek 28 gauge lancets because they're very short and won't go right through Noah's ear. In Canada they always push a Bayer meter on you even though they're free. They need a huge blob of blood. It's painful getting those constant error messages. It will get easier, I just thump Noah's basket now and even though he knows what's coming he jumps right in.

29. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

You might be hitting the vein. The flashlight under her ear will help. Phoebe has black ears too. 20170412_075546.jpg
    You don't aim for the vein but the section between the vein and outside edge. Hugs you'll be a pro in no time. Remember to breathe. :)

Livvy's Lady likes this.
  30. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

I'm going to try the lancet tonight. Fingers crossed! I'm not sure of the depth setting. Is that just something that I have to experiment with? There's so much to learn. Thanks!

31. LizzieInTexas

Test it on yourself. Pinky finger. When I first started it as set on 3, now I can get a drop with it set on 1.

Livvy's Lady likes this.
  32. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

It's encouraging to know that Noah has gotten so used to it. We bought the Alpha Trak II which was recommended to us by a friend and by our vet...I understand that it, too, needs very little blood - but now I also know that the strips are really costly. So, we may come to regret that purchas. We're learning new things daily. Thanks for your input!

33. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

I'll try it on myself. That's a good idea. That will give me a sense of how hard to press. Thanks!

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  34. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

Such a tiny area that I have to aim for! Thanks for the encouragement and advice. Good to know that this can be managed on the ear of a black-eared cat. Yes, I think that I was probably hitting her vein.

35. LizzieInTexas

36. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

This is great! Yong sent me links to a couple of videos which were really helpful, but the details on the page that you linked me to will be really helpful. I'm going to study the details and watch the additional videos now. Thanks!

37. Jadi & Tiffany

Jadi & Tiffany Member

You are getting so much great advice. It is hard at first, but I use the lancet device and warm a small piece of a wash cloth in the microwave and put it in a small plastic snack baggie and apply to her ear. Neosporin is also a great suggestion. I use a little towel on my kitchen counter so she is reachable. The lancet worked better for me and the outside of the ear really does not seem to bother my kitty. I give her a small treat...roast beef is her choice. She now sits in my kitchen and meows at testing time...ready to go...she actually purrs through it all. Never thought in a million years did I think I could do this...but it really does get easier. Hang in there!!!

Livvy's Lady likes this.
  38. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

Thank you for the success story. It helps to hear these for sure!

39. Jadi & Tiffany

Jadi & Tiffany Member

One more thing...I ordered some serious readers on Amazon, so I can see the ear better.

Livvy's Lady and LizzieInTexas like this.
  40. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

It does get easier, after maybe one or two months. Bwahaha! It will get easier. The best news I got when I started was that they develop new capillaries and bleed more easily. I see someone wrote about that above---it should give you hope. I don't aim for the tiny rim of the ear: I go to the inside near the vein. That works too. Yum will never come to me for a proffered treat when she thinks it means I want something. However, I think consistency with the treat POST test has made a difference---as people on the board told me over and over again before I listened.

41. LizzieInTexas

Good point. 99% of the time I test Gizmo in one spot. He now knows when I take him there he is getting tested. I shoot in a (different) specific spot also. He is such a good boy about it, though he does ***** about it on the way to the spots. Lol. But I think a routine and consistancy (what ever that is for you) will help also.

Livvy's Lady likes this.
  42. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Here's another tip: blood flows from the tip of the ear down. So, after you warm the ear and put a little Neosporin or vaseline on it (to get the blood to bead up), put some pressure on a spot below where you are going to do the prick. This will help create a dam and the blood drop will form easily. I hold a small gauze pad under the ear (on the inside of the ear), prick the ear, get the blood onto the strip, and then fold the gauze pad over the ear and hold it with a little pressure so that the bleeding stops. This pressure at the end of the prick keeps the ear from bruising. Put a little Neosporin with Pain Relief on the ear when you are finished.

It will all become second nature very soon!

p.s. I use a camping headlamp.

p.p.s. treats are a must!

Livvy's Lady and Nicole Z like this.
  43. Nicole Z

Nicole Z Well-Known Member

I had a hard time with the device so I just use the lancet and that's it.

Livvy's Lady likes this.
  44. Noah & me (GA)

Just imagine me chasing Nigel down the hall with a syringe hanging off his back. We all make it sound so easy. My first lesson I had a tech hovering over me looking at her watch, "It's Friday, I want to go home, just do it!" I did everything with Nigel on a bath towel on the kitchen table. Traction for him, good lighting for me.

45. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

Makes sense to reward after. We have Livvy on such a strict feeding schedule, though...we really have no experience with giving any treats in her regimen. Maybe we should? It's been ingrained in us that she should feed twice a day at regular intervals with access to food only during the planned feeding time. No snacks. But maybe that was just to help her maintain remission while she was in it? That's over now.

46. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

I have to figure out about whether some sort of treat is ok for her at this point. It seems like lots of the sugar kitties here do fine with occasional treats.

47. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

I did it! First successful at-home blood glucose test tonight. Result was 89 in the Alpha Trak II (set to the cat code) at +4. (We gave 2.5u at her dinner time instead of 3u as usual because she wasn't all that inspired to eat...but she did end up finishing her full portion of food.) I tested with control solution first, and that was in the acceptable range. Then, I used the rice in a sock method to warm her ear and a 28g lancet in the device that came with the tester. I used the Neosporin with pain reliever and tested her in an area with plenty of light. I wore reading glasses and used a flashlight to find her vein, and aimed the lancet needle between that and the perimeter of her ear. Voila! It may not always be so easy, but at least now I know that I can do it! Thank you all so much for your help throughout the day. Truly.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  48. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

Wow, that's quite an image! Ha! I'm so glad that it gets easier.

49. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

YAY!!! I have just been reading through all the posts and didn't have any info to add because all the bases seemed to be covered.
    That's awesome, congratulations:bighug::bighug::bighug:
    I think for me the ear warming was the best advice I got to help getting a successful tests in for Uncle.
    I've been testing him since Oct 2016. You know what's crazy? When I gently shake the container that holds the strips, he runs over to his ottoman, climbs up and waits for me to test him. I NEVER thought I'd see anything like that!

Livvy's Lady likes this.
  50. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Oh yeah, wanted to mention you might want to check Livvy again at +6 to make sure she stays above 68 on the AlphaTrak. If it were my cat I would get another test around +6 since it's the first test she's had and you can't know how fast (of if) her BG is dropping from her pre-shot.
    Just a thought.

51. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

Wow! I'm definitely going to need to introduce treats to get to that advanced level!

This morning pre-breakfast was a struggle, simple because Livvy wanted to get down to continue her begging routine.

I got a sample which resulted in a 171 (at +12, before any food). I didn't believe it. So I tried another right away, and it was 145. So two things went through my mind: first, that's a really high variance iPhone which I knew about, but I didn't realize it would be that high! Second, I think this meter is running low-it's certainly low compared to what the vet would've found that +12, based on past experience.

Now that I seem to of gotten the hang of this (fingers crossed), I'm going to map out a time when I can do a whole curve. I was reading the board about how this can be done by somebody who works full-time.

I'll start a spreadsheet, and away we go!

52. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

That's great advice. I'm about to check to see if I can work from home for the morning to make that happen. That might have to be an overnight strategy for me. Darn this pesky job! LOL!

53. LizzieInTexas

Hoorraayy! Congratulations!

Yes, please check her, ideally at +2, and post # here. That is a low PS # to shoot so we need to make sure she is at safe numbers.

I don't use treats when testing, like you, had never given treats before. I just give him lots of verbal praise and lovins and scratches.

ETA - I do give these every now and then and Gizmo goes wild for them

https://www.chewy.com/purebites-beef-liver-freeze-dried/dp/35170

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  54. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

Thanks! I'm going to try to squeeze in a test at +2 before leaving for work. If she looks to be trending low, I'm not sure what to do...but I think that's unlikely. Despite being on insulin for weeks, she has been drinking crazy amounts and peeing crazy amounts. We've spoken to the vet about it. She's already at 3units (seems like a lot), and he hasn't suggested increasing (probably makes sense - she only weighs 10.5lbs at this point). At the vet's, her last test was 277 at +10, and that's been typical at the vets at that time. We think that maybe she has some other issue(s) given the strange twirling episodes. So we're off to a specialist on Monday of next week...and maybe back to the regular vet this week.

55. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

Could Livvy's numbers look low this AMPS because of too little blood? The meter seemed to register fine, but I really did get only the tiniest drop each sample. I'm using a 28g lancet in the device that came with the Alpha Trak II, set at depth 1.

56. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

Livvy is at 206 now, at +2. I think that I may have had too little blood at AMPS this morning, but I can't be sure. My husband will keep an eye on her this morning until noon (which will be +6). Thanks again for all of the support. I'll make a spreadsheet today and keep tracking!

57. Noah & me (GA)

Of course you did it, we all knew you could. Wait until you have to get a pee sample from a dog. I had to follow her with a little pie plate and then left up her tail at just the right moment. I'm sure the neighbors had their suspicions confirmed, "See, he is nuts. And that poor dog, better call Animal Services".
    Continued good luck.

58. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

Oh, my. What we'll do for our pets!

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  59. Noah & me (GA)

Yes, I just love washing my hands from the elbows down with an SOS pad and gasoline after cleaning 5 litter boxes. I know they wait until I've swept the basement stairs and floor, used a putty knife to scrape up souvenirs (mementos, keepsakes, tokens of remembrance) and mopped the cement wall where they "missed". "If you sprinkle while you tinkle..." They all look so innocent don't they? Right before they knock me down the stairs and run to the boxes. 1, 2, 3... poop and kick! It's a conspiracy.

60. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

Yikes! Makes our two kitties seem like angels! Well, except for the odd "present" from Livvy while she's been feeling poorly. She's definitely started to think outside the box, so to speak.

61. Noah & me (GA)

Oh yes, "Angels". When "those people" come knocking at out door we just say "We worship our dark Lord and Master, Satan. Do you have a brochure?" Then if they're still near the door they might see a cat, or 6 cats. "Here Beelzebub". That's when it's time to leave. I'm not a bad person am I? Maybe more like Crazy Joe Davola.

Livvy's Lady likes this.
  62. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

That's great. It will be easier for you to get opinions and answers to your dosing questions etc. when you start getting the SS going.
    Again, congrats on getting the tests in!

Livvy's Lady likes this.
  63. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

Thanks! My outlook on testing is looking brighter now. This afternoon, I'm taking Livvy to the vet so that we can each test the same blood sample with our meters to see how they compare. The vet actually suggested that. It sounds like some people on this forum don't go through that step. Anyway, we'll see the extent to which they agree.

64. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

I honestly don't know how it happened! I only used treats (bonito flakes) when I very first started out testing. Uncle would get so wild and wiggly because of the treats he wouldn't hold still for the tests and I finally stopped giving them to him.

Livvy's Lady likes this.
  65. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

I think some people do. It's crazy though. I've taken 2 tests in a row (matter of seconds) and had different results. So please remember that the meters can have up to a 20% variance. It seems weird but it is legally allowed and just something to keep in mind :bighug:

Livvy's Lady likes this.
  66. Glennie

Glennie Member

Hi, Livvy's Lady! The testing does get easier. I was terrified at first, and it took me days to get a successful test. Now I don't know how I was injecting without testing her BG first. But in the beginning it scared me more than the injections. I still don't like it, but we get it done. The warm sock works wonders. After using it to warm her ears, I wrap my insulin-filled syringe in it to warm that also. We were having problems with her crying at injection time, but she's better since I've been doing that. The advice on here regularly saves us, and warming the syringe was just one more time these 'beans' came to my rescue. I do use the lancet device (the device does it) since I don't have to poke her myself, and after using the larger 26 gauge lancets for a few weeks, I was able to change over to smaller 30 gauge size.

About the food...we feed Callie whenever she is hungry except the 2 hours before AMPS or PMPS. From what I've read from experienced members, they say smaller meals eaten more often are easier on the pancreas.

Hang in there--it does get easier--most days. Livvy sounds like a little love. :bighug:

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  67. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

Funny that you said that! I had trouble testing Livvy AMPS because she was so eager to get down to eat! Treats might have the same affect on us.

68. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

I'm thinking that this "calibration" experiment at the vet's has to use the same blood sample - same drop, not two different drops - because of the variance. (I'm probably going to drive my vet crazy...SO MANY QUESTIONS!)

69. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

Livvy is a little love! I have to agree, but I admit that I'm biased.

The testing was scarier than the insulin injections for me, too.

My next task is to get the SS going...and to learn what to do based on the readings. I have some understanding, but a little knowledge is a dangerous thing as they say. I've been reluctant to change anything in reaction to the readings so far because of insecurity (am I doing it right? was the blood sample big enough? just because I got a reading doesn't mean it's valid...) I'm driving myself a bit crazy I'd say...but I know that this part will get easier, too.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Glennie and Barbara & Uncle (GA) like this.
  70. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Yes, it is a lot to take in at first. The best advice I can offer is to read and then re-read the stickys as you go along. They will start to make more sense to you because they will link up with your "on the ground" experiences.
    Also remember, there are no dumb questions when it comes to FD. So ask away, hopefully people will be able to answer your questions and illuminate the whys and wherefores of their answers. I know I wouldn't have gotten this far without the wonderful, smart, generous people here.

Livvy's Lady and Glennie like this.
  71. Glennie

Glennie Member

Learning what to do based upon the readings is what the people on here are best at. There are some number guidelines in the stickies and they're so helpful, but even then I ask people that are more versed in the patterns and numbers. Their expertise is amazing. As you go along, all of a sudden a sticky will come to mind, and it makes sense. And like Barbara says above, there are no dumb questions on here. And I should know since I've asked more than my fair share. I've always been met with patience, compassion and understanding. So ask away. :bighug:I most likely won't be able to answer, but someone knowledgeable should be able to help with dosing and such.

72. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

This group has already been an invaluable resource! I'm sure that will be spending a tremendous amount of time on here. I set it in another post, I think, but we are finding it really difficult to communicate well with the vet-this is such a complex topic, and a brief appointment just doesn't cut it. That's one of the reasons were off to a specialist on Monday of next week. That, and Livvy's symptoms are so strange, what with the twirling and all.

Glennie likes this.
  73. Livvy's Lady

Livvy's Lady Member

Thanks so much! The next thing we're contending with trusting our glucometer. But, I think I better start another message thread on that topic, because it might help somebody else, too. So, more later tonight on what happened when the vet tested the same sample of blood with our glucometer and his.

Glennie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.