Thank you for being here!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by katpaf, Jul 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katpaf

katpaf New Member

My rescue cat Penny Lane (yes, we like the Beatles!), age 3 and only 5 lbs. was just diagnosed. Not on the vet's radar, but she just wasn't "right". Biggest concern was that even though she was eating far more than my chubby rescue kitty (Eleanor Pigby) with IBS, she couldn't gain weight. Soooo, the blood test confirmed what my gut felt. Now my gut just feels anxious. Nice to know that I'm not alone on this journey. I did my first injection tonight, it was unnerving, but successful. I'm guessing it gets easier with time. Thanks again for this site, I'm still overwhelmed, but I will be ingesting all the information I can in the coming weeks and months.

JeffJ and English girl like this.
  2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB .

Tell us a bit about how you're managing all this - the insulin, dose, and frequency; the food choices, etc.

3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello to you and to Penny Lane (...."is in my ears and in my eyes..." <Eliz hums tune> )

Many of us felt overwhelmed at first, so we absolutely understand how you must be feeling. But it soon gets easier. Honestly.

Your kitty is very young to have diabetes. Has she had any steroid treatment previously..?

Sending reassuring hugs to you. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Eliz
    upload_2016-7-30_8-49-20.png

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your Penny's diagnosis. So young to have it! My almost 12 yo girl CC was diagnosed in May. I was so so upset. Things are getting easier but it's definitely a life change. The people on this forum have been so great and patient and willing to answer all my questions. I'm sure you will find it to be an extremely valuable resource as well.

5. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. The people here are amazing. I'm new too. I procrastinated on typing in insulin and glucose logs. I recommend you start a log soon. It took me 5 minutes to start one, and 30 minutes to type in 30 days of handwritten logs. Link below.

Link to FMDB spreadsheet

6. English girl

English girl New Member

Hi all, just wanted to echo katpafs comment, great to find you all. After a tough couple of weeks my beloved muma kitty has been diagnosed diabetic and every time I've searched the subject I end up in cat panic mode! Think we've got a long way to go but so glad to find supportive advice! Thanks

7. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

@English girl - Welcome! ...Waving 'Hi' to you from sunny Surrey! ...There are a few of us Brits here. :)

8. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I see you are new to injections. My first injections were challenging too. They initially gave me 1/2" needles. For me, the 1/4" needles are easier to use. Less chance of shooting "thru the tent" - when you fold the skin and poke all the way thru to open air.

9. katpaf

katpaf New Member

Its all so new. She gets one unit twice a day. I have switched her to wet food (Royal Canin for diabetics), but I'm investigating other brands as well. She's slightly underweight, and hungry all the time. Right now, I'm just feeding her as I can. As far as 'managing', pretty much I'm just existing minute by minute and trying not to crumple into a wet ball of tears. I have been assured it will get better.

10. katpaf

katpaf New Member

Thank you - I would like to try the 1/4" myself. Its on my list of requests!

11. katpaf

katpaf New Member

Elizabeth - Thank you for sharing (go Beatles!) Thank you for the assurance and hugs - they mean a lot; at least I can eat now my stomach has stopped knotting up! She is very young and has no predisposing factors that I'm aware of. No hx of steroids, low end of weight. I'm hoping to put at least a pound on her - I think it would be easier to give her injections if I had a little more cat to work with!

12. katpaf

katpaf New Member

Thank you - it is indeed a life change. But, when I signed up to be her mom, it was for better or worse. We'll get through it!

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  13. katpaf

katpaf New Member

And I know I posted above, but I'm waving back from across the pond.

14. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I can assure you that it will get better. Initial treatments can be challenging. Needles were foreign to me 1 year ago. Now they are just part of the daily routine. And I do make occasional fur shots (missed the skin) even now.

Your cat is lucky that she has a Mom who cares. That is too bad she is only 5 pounds. That is a little kitty. What? No cute kitty pic for us here? :)

15. katpaf

katpaf New Member

There you go! My cell phone is full of cat pictures.....

16. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Pretty little girl. I hope the treatments are going well.

17. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Come post any questions you have over in the Feline Health section.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.