Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

Thank you all for the great input on keeping/renaming this forum... and for posting! :mrgreen: I will try to check in here more regularly and keep you all updated on my boy(s)-- and the rest of the crew, too, just because!

As I type this, there's a snuggly orinch boy purring in my lap trying to use my hands as a chin rest dancing_cat Fletcher's on 2u Lantus (we got 3 free 5 pen boxes so are using that since we drained the Levemir vial) with numbers basically in the 100's with some preshots creeping slightly into the low 200's range. He had been off insulin again for about a month (spreadsheets so not up-to-date) but restarted a week or so ago. He's up to 10mg Prednisone daily and 1/2 baby aspirin every 3 days and seems relatively comfortable. His claws are ridiculously thick and grow really fast and when I went to trim them yesterday (he needs it done every other week) I found that one back claw is so thick it's trying to meld into his paw pad... not the tip of it, the entire length of it! So I need to try to file enough of it away to trim it... or let his fabulous vets/techs give him a manicure! (he's adored at the vetty bean's-- probably because he is never ornery and actually purrs no matter what they need to do). He's holding his weight at 11 lbs which is underweight for him, but it's a heck of a lot better than when he wasn't even tipping the scale at 9 lbs! (It's hard to believe he's the same kitty who went over 19 lbs...gaining over 6 while unregulated... before we knew how special he is!). I still look at him and can't believe he's still here... 3.5 years after becoming an official founding member of the Acrocats Society.

Robbie is still a conundrum to me... even after 8 months. He's at 4u bid and the preshots are becoming more regularly in the upper 100's/low 200's, dropping maybe 70-85 points, then throwing me a low preshot in the low 100's/upper 90's which I shoot but doesn't do anything but glide back up (no real bounces). I wish I could get more spotchecks on him, but work/life gets in the way of my good intentions many times. Robbie is F-A-T... over 18 pounds, eating only low carb canned, 5-6oz a day. I think he may have eaten a soccer ball at some point. Yes, acro whispers in the back of my mind... but, honestly, I'm terrified to really think about it, so I don't (yes, bad me). He's happy and still carries on a conversation with anyone that will listen and has discovered that he loves to rub his head on my foot so my toe sticks in his ear :roll: and that's what I concentrate on.

Want to hear about the others? :lol: (not that you have a choice!)

Rex: beginning to wonder about hyperT with him. I've been seeing him at the water fountain (not crazy, but he's never drank since I adopted him, so I notice it) and he's overgrooming a bit. He's due for a checkup so guess we'll find out then.

Itty Bitty: She's still a sweet toothless "money cat" calico who likes to wrestle with Taylor and sleep on my feet.

Taylor: He's getting so brave! He will actually seek out my lap or one of my dd's laps at times... and yesterday jumped up next to my mom looking for some lovin'! Got him 4 years ago so he's a bit slow... but once you touch that bunny soft fur you don't want to stop (even if he does drool!)

Casey: He's still diet controlled and also a drooling purr-er. I may get a lion cut for him (he's a Norwegian Forest cat) since he's got some matting... and I want to see what he looks like nekkid!

Santana: She's still a little sh*t... hisses at the others but is so sweet and cuddly with her beans. I swear, my Gabi(GA) sent her to us since she is so much like my deaf, feisty girl was!

Greta: She's back up to 5u bid with her desmopressin and her eye infection keeps popping up (it will be a lifelong thing since the mucosa of her eyes is wrecked from the desmopressin as eye/nose drops when she was in the shelter-- no slight to the shelter since they actually treated her instead of PTS). I am replacing the carpet in my master bedroom with hardwood since I can't get the smell out from her peeing there to let me know she was sick... but that's ok, I like hardwood better than carpeting anyway!

So that's us in a nutty shell! Hope you all are having a great weekend!

2. Debbie and Bryce

Debbie and Bryce Member

Hello Carolyn and "kids"!

Wanted to say hi. Enjoyed reading your update! You've got a house full !

We're having a quiet day. Bryce keeps dipping pretty low and has done this again today. We were out yesterday afternoon (family in from out of town), and ended up getting home later than we thought we would from dinner. You can normally set your watch by our shot times (6:15), but we were two hours late last night. Will take a day or two to get back on schedule, so today has been interesting. She's very quiet today. Tested her a lot this morning. She needed some extra food which brought her back up. We've been lucky in that regard. She responds very well to regular and HC food. She was 100 at +6.

Well, getting ready to head off to the airport. Have a good evening, and say hi to your kids from Bryce in Florida!

3. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

I like hearing about your fur-family. I need to post an update on Boo soon, but I'll probably wait until I get her most recent tests back.

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Now that is one AWESOME update! It sounds like everyone is getting by just fine too.

I need to put something for mine as well.

I am very happy to hear Fletcher is doing OK. You make me think to look closely at Ollie's nails as his are huge and massive. I clip Shadoe's but his I am not sure I can do, but I will give a look.

If 18lb is F-A-T, then Ollie needs to look out later. He's around 21lb and the belly is starting to appear! Is Robbie a large, long cat or is he just like Shadoe who looks like she swallowed a football.
    Are you thinking of having him tested, just to quiet that thing in the back of your mind?
    It's really not all that bad, having a couple acros, honest! Oh this twitch? It's nothing, really LOL.

What's with the over-grooming? Shadoe's a crazy cleaner, and I did not know what to make of that.Is that and thirst a couple signs? Hope Rex tests OK at the vets on the checkup when you go.

5. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

Robbie was really good looking at around 12-13 pounds... he's a big faced boy with "thick" legs (kind of like u-know-who) who absolutely does look like he swallowed a football! *as a side note: my Gabi(GA) had a "football belly." We xrayed her to check her organs and they were fine, so my vet said that Gabi "just had a very unfortunate figure for a girl." haha_smiley * If Robbie's dose goes higher (like 6u bid), I will think more strongly of having him tested. For now, I'll just let him use my toes as an ear massager/cleaner. :lol:

Yes, overgrooming, increased hunger & thirst are all signs of hyperT... along with weight loss and poor coat condition (hmmmm... just like FD huh?) I'll have them include a T4 test in Rex's labwork. He's 10 so is in the age group where it will most likely appear (the older a kitty gets their T4 should drop so if it's in the high end of normal, have a free T4 run which is more accurate).

Can't wait for an update on your gang! Scritches to the furries... ((((hugs))) to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.