The Oley, diabetic cat finds new vet!!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Minnig, Jan 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minnig

Minnig New Member

Thanks to all who quickly found resources to help my Huey at a bad time in his life. I am happy to state that on my very first call to a Vet (who came highly recommended by 2 family members) is on track with most of the protocol of this forum. She will accept Huey''s previous lab work from Oley Vet, no 4 day hospitalization but is putting us on for an extended visit one day to get blood sugar level, urine specimen, and select an insulin that is affordable. After that, we bring him in every 7-10 days to check how he is doing re; his blood sugar level. This can be done by a tech costing only $25 until the insolin level is regulated. In order for the Vet to keep writing scripts for insolin and syringes is a well care visit 1x per year.

2. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

Congratulations, for the initial 7-10 days visits ask why. Specifically. Are they looking to just do a single blood glucose test? See if they will allow you to do so at home. A lot of time Huey will have a higher number at the vet because of stress. I'm currently am still working with my vet to establish the right regimen but I give them my glucose readings from home to do so.

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Oh, that's fantastic news, Deborah! :D

On insulin choices, most kitties tend to do better on longer-acting, gentler formulations like Lantus, Levemir and ProZinc/PZI. Lantus in the US is very expensive (not sure about the others) but it's a very good insulin and there are Canadian pharmacies (e.g Mark's Marine) that many people from here buy from. Also there is a Supply Closet board here where members sometimes have insulin cartridges to sell at very, very reasonable prices.

Info on Marks Marine Pharmacy, Canada (your vet may need to give you a written prescription - also call them for up-to-date prices)

FDMB Supply Closet

Don't order syringes until you know which insulin you will be using. (Different insulins need different syringes.) Once you know the insulin, we can help you find where to buy at good prices.

Delighted that you've found a considerate and helpful vet; makes the world of difference.

Mogs

(NB - the "GA" prefix is one we use when kitties are no longer with us. Since Huey is alive and kicking, is there any chance you could use "Thread Tools"- on the right hand side of your opening post to edit the title to change the prefix to "?" or "None" - otherwise it puts the heart crossways when people see your thread. ;) If you get stuck with changing the title, let us know and we'll help you sort it.)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    Minnig likes this.
  4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Woo Hoo on the new vet!! So glad to hear you found someone willing to work with you!!

I'm glad Mogs gave you the link to Marks Marine....The cost of Lantus or Levemir in the states is outrageous at about $280 for a vial (10ml= 1000 units) and $460+ for a 5 pack of pens (5 pens...each 3ml for a total of 1500 units of insulin)

The price of ProZinc is comparable...since it's a U40 insulin you only get 400 units per vial and although I don't know exact prices, it's only available from your vet or a veterinary pharmacy and is around $90+

Yes, please remove the GA in your title....it stands for "Gone Ahead" or "Guardian Angel" and we sure hope Huey stays around for a long time to come!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Critter Mom

And it's a big Amen! to that. :)

(FYI, Chris: In case you get any UK bods enquiring about Lantus prices over here, I just got a quote for a 10ml vial on private veterinary prescription over here: GBP 70 - approx USD 100. Our vets actually dispense single pen cartridges, bless 'em.)

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

So glad you have a new vet. When is your first visit? Huey will feel better soon.

7. Minnig

Minnig New Member

Thanks for the correction. I had no idea what it stood for, but I didn't feel the other 2 choices were appropriate. I will look for "Thread Tools" next time.

8. Minnig

Minnig New Member

His appointment is this coming Wednesday at 6:00. Not sure yet if we are going to change all our pets to the new vet, but I have lost some of the respect I had for my current one. Oh, and what makes this change even better, the Tech Vet (of 18 yrs) "adopted a diabetic kitten that was left by there door years ago, so she is living it also.

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Critter Mom

Hi Deborah,

If you go back to the very first post on this thread, "Thread Tools" should be visible on the right hand side of the screen.

That can make a huge difference to how the practice approaches diabetes treatment. One of the vets at our practice has a diabetic cat. They actually hold dedicated clinics for diabetic pets. :)

Please check daily for ketones in the meantime (twice a day if possible). If you get anything more than 'trace' on the test result call your new vet immediately for a same day emergency appointment - even if it's out of hours. When a cat is throwing ketones veterinary intervention is needed as a matter of urgency.

Mogs

10. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Oh that's really nice. Someone there with a FD cat should be a great resource for you.

11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Depending on whether or not the Tech did any homework, the person may or may not be a good resource.
    The kinds of things you want to look for are the topics in my signature link Vet Interview Topics (compiled from posts here).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.