There's an interloper in your midst!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sarah and Buzz, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Hi everyone! I'm back! It seems I feel the need to post here every couple of months, so I guess it's time. I need some advice regarding Lantus use, as well as some general advice. Here's my deal, made as short as possible:

Buzz went OTJ (Idexx PZI) on December 10th. I had been made aware of the free Lantus offer, so I convinced my vet to write a prescription for it in case Buzz needed it any time soon. I was pretty sure that my Idexx PZI wouldn't last much longer (it was opened on August 10) and I wanted to have a backup. Thanks to you guys, I had already made the decision to switch when she really started to go into remission, so I knew that that was the insulin I'd want should she need it. I also figured that if she didn't use it, I could find a person or two here who would love some free insulin. ;)

I checked Buzz's BG on Dec. 31 and it was 97, which was slightly higher than normal but definitely nothing to worry about. I checked it yesterday (1/4) and it was 255. Yikes! I did nothing and checked again this morning and it was 301. Double yikes! That's when I discovered that my PZI had floaties. :shock: I determined that the PZI is no good, as we shot her with 0.1u and her numbers went down 11 points in 4 hours. When we last shot her with PZI, we were microdosing with one drop, so I wanted to start at a decent but not huge amount. I suppose it's possible that it just wasn't enough, but it should have done SOMETHING, right?

I made an appointment for Buzz to go to the vet to see if she has an infection, which is my best guess at these numbers right now. The appointment is on Friday, so just about 36 hours from now. My questions are:

1. Should I wait and do nothing about her BG until I see if she has an infection? If she does, her #s will hopefully clear up with the ABs.
    2. Should I give Lantus? It makes me nervous to just randomly start on a brand new insulin without knowing what is going on, but I also don't want her to be in any danger. If you think I should give Lantus, how much should I give? I have no earthly idea about any of this, and I am worried. I'm a worrier by nature, though, so that doesn't really say much. ;)

Thank you all once again! Any and all advice/comment are appreciated.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Hi Sarah and welcome.

I'm not a long time Lantus user so please get input from some of the others who have more experience and expertise than I do. My biggest concern would be the presence of an infection and not enough insulin. That could be a set up for DKA. I guess one question is whether Buzz has a history of being ketone prone.

3. Sarah and Buzz

Hi Sienne, thanks for responding. :)

Buzz did have ketones upon diagnosis and for a couple of weeks afterwards. Once we got them under control (no treatment other than insulin and water added to food), she has not had a problem since. Once her BGs started lowering, I did not continue to check for ketones so it has been months since I've gotten a reading.

4. Nat and Ferdi (Pelusa GA)

Nat and Ferdi (Pelusa GA) Member

Hello! My cat went out of remission last year (after 13 months) due to an infection. She needed only a few micro-shots of Lantus and antibiotics to go back to the falls (and she's still there!). I wish the same to you. I can't tell you to shoot or not... You can't ask the thoughts of your vet over the phone before the appointment?

Good luck!

5. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

happy to hear you have an appointment set up with the vet to have buzz checked out. it's hard to tell if kitty needs a little more time on insulin or if something is going on. a vet visit will help rule out any health issues which may be causing the high numbers...

6. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Sarah! Isn't it wonderful that you checked Buzz back in Dec...and then followed up on it!!
    Another person would not have a clue that the BGs were higher signaling a possible infection...but with you
    experience with FD, you knew to do that important BG test!!
    Very good that you will be seeing your vet...a better picture of what is happening will emerge....
    When was Buzz's last dental?

Well, we are here if you need to come back to daily posting..hopefully, you won't have to, and this will be a passing
    thing. but good for YOU that you had a head's up about something brewing! Nice going!! Looking forward
    to your updates about Buzz...wishing you well with this...keep us posted??? :D

7. Sarah and Buzz

Thanks, Pat! :) To answer your question, none of my kitties have ever had a dental. I didn't even really know what that was until I started reading here. I am going to have the vet eyeball her teeth while I'm there tomorrow. :D

8. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

Hey Sarah, :smile:

Sorry to hear Buzz has something going on. Some of the top reason for diabetics to come out of remission are dental issues, infection (anywhere in the body), and hyperthyroidism. I hope the vet can pinpoint what is going on, and that we get to see you around these parts if it turns out she needs a short course of insulin again for whatever reason. While Lantus or Lev may not rapidly drop Buzz's BGs like some of the shorter acting insulins will (N, R, or even Vetsulin), they L insulins do provide more opportunity for pancreatic healing if that is what she needs. You know my feelings about this so I won't rehash for you. ;-)

Please do update us if you can!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.