Thoughts on wet food and not drinking much?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ChloesMama, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChloesMama

ChloesMama Member

Hey all,

I have 2 civvies of my own and was wondering if it's all right that, since switching to ALL wet food, they're barely drinking water. Seriously, BARELY drinking it.

Are they really getting all the water they need from the wet food?

Many thanks!

2. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Most cats don't drink much water when eating canned food. If you are concerned, you can mix a tablespoon or two of water into the food.

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

This is normal, since cats have a low thirst drive.

However, I add 1/3 can of water to each can of food served and while they aren't drinking from the water bowls, they still are peeing a storm in the LB's. :D

4. Blue and Freddies Mom

Blue and Freddies Mom Member

I have two diabetics who use to be on only dry food as of about a month ago. They use to stand at the water bowl and drink and drink. I don't think I've seen either one drink from the water bowl since I changed to wet. I guess they are getting what they need from the food and they seem to be doing very well.

5. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

Yep. This is my experience too. Buddha still gets excited when I turn on the faucet, but never wants to drink from the sink any more. Still seems like a lot of wetness in his box, so he's definitely staying hydrated. And no shortage of poo either ... oh, yeah, I was going to scoop the box when the computer distracted me. Bye!

6. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

Your right, Harley doesn't drink nearly as much water from the fountain bowl as he use to. I attribute part of that to feeling better but it is probably a lot to do with the fact that he is getting moisture in his food instead of the dry dust he was getting before!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.