? Throwing up before meal/after meal

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KJC80, Jun 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KJC80

KJC80 Member

Toby was super thirsty this morning prior to his AMPS, so I let him drink out of the sink (his favorite). He then threw up all of the water about 30 minutes later. I assume his stomach was upset from the 2 hours of fasting. He ate normally yesterday and overnight, although he had a tiny hairball last night. I fed him his breakfast after his AMPS, he ate small portion, and was clearly nauseated afterward- lots of walking around and lip licking. He then threw up everything he ate this morning. His AMPS was 300. He used the litterbox normally this morning (pee and poop).

I know I shouldn't give him insulin without food, but would a small token shot help him feel better enough to eat & drink? I decided to stay home from work to keep an eye on him. I have about 20 more minutes in my "shot window", otherwise I'll just have to skip it and hope he'll eat something later.

2. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

I know I'm hyper sensitive to vomiting right now with my situation, but I would suggest looking into some possible causes outside of the diabetes such as pancreas and gall bladder. Grandpa's liver enzymes had shot through the roof in just a month. Pancreatitis is treatable when diagnosed early from whatI hear.

Best of luck.

KJC80 likes this.
  3. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

2hrs doesn't sound long enough of a fast to upset tummies. if it is not a regular occurence, maybe hairball issue. learned after trial and error that when tux (and another cat) throws up water and then his food every few weeks, it always is an excess hairball blockage issue since he doesn't hack them up. i give him about 1/2 tsp of pure petroleum jelly for 1-3 days to help him poop or hack out the excess fur and he is back to being good till the next excess hairball episode..

if you have regular pepcid ac, 1/4 of a tablet works great for upset stomach. and at 300 bg, i personally would give a small token insulin dose without food being in belly.

KJC80 likes this.
  4. KJC80

KJC80 Member

I'm hoping it's just a hairball and nothing more serious. He's managed to keep down a few spoonfuls of water and he wants more, but I'm worried if drinks too much all at once he'll throw it all up again like he did this morning. I'm giving him a little water every 20 minutes or so and he's resting. He doesn't appear to be in pain... he's jumping onto the bed and into the sink. He doesn't want to eat yet, but I'm hoping he'll eat tonight. He was fine yesterday, but he did throw up that tiny hairball and some string. He may just have an upset stomach from that. He just peed, so I checked his ketones and they were negative.

5. KJC80

KJC80 Member

Well, he kept throwing up, so I took him to the vet. Bloodwork came back normal, except for his glucose, and he was a little dehydrated. He got fluids, B12, a Cerenia shot for the nausea, and Convenia just in case it's pancreatitis. My vet seemed to think he was fine, but gave him the antibiotic as a precaution. If he doesn't start eating by tomorrow, he told me to bring him back in and they'll run some x-rays. I'm hoping the Cerenia will help and he'll eat something this evening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.