Tight regulation and vet opinion on the cure of your cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Wally & Stefano, Jan 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wally & Stefano

Wally & Stefano Member

Hello, happy sunday with your loved beasts.

I have a few questions to all of you and the approch you are using to manage your cat diabets

I would like to know what follows:

- Are you following the Tight Regulation?
    - Did you learn about this protocol doing your own research?
    - Did you get approval from your vet for using the protocol with your cat?
    - Did you feel in doubt when you had to choose between TR and vet protocol?
    - Did you feel guilty when you followed TR protocol instead of vet advice?

I'm curious to hear from you soon

2. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

I learned about TR here.

The sort answer is no, we didn't really seek approval, we just kinda did it. I don't know that we ever really discussed the particulars with our vet(s), outside of letting them know we test BG at home and adjust the dose when necessary. They are pretty open with us, though. With Boozle, it was actually recommended to us that we test at home and get numbers before shooting.

There really wasn't a vet protocol to begin with. I mean, the first vet sent us home with a script, said give ten units in the morning and feed twice a day. I'm not sure if that qualifies as a protocol. Now, I see the failing in that, but then I knew nothing about feline diabetes, so yeah. When I switched to Lantus from N insulin and dropped his dose down, it did make me uncomfortable. I mean, there are a lot of weirdos on the internet and the doc knows best, right? What we were doing wasn't working, though, and we were feeling pretty overwhelmed. I did feel somewhat guilty and unsure, at first. I certainly don't regret it. When Boozie was diagnosed, first thing I did was come here and set up his info and refresh myself on the protocols.

Wally & Stefano likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Not really. Teasel is a "special" case - very complicated.

I learned everything I know (that works!) about treating FD from this forum. My experience has taught me how to adapt it to my cat.

No. I began Teasel's FD treatment in January 2016 following my vet's guidelines (1 u Lantus twice a day, feed only twice a day, curve after 7 to 10 days to assess dose) and it didn't work. When I decided to do things the FDMB way I told her. She trusts my judgment and likes to work with her clients so it was fine.

I was reluctant for a long time to deviate from my vet's advice but once I did and saw better results my doubts disappeared. It helped a lot that my vet trusts me.

4. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Followed tight regulation with KT and Dakota both - KT crossed in 2014 but Dakota is still plodding along at 18 1/2 years old...been diabetic over half his life now.

I was researching feline diabetes and found Dr. Lisa's main site (catinfo.org) then found the message board here - such a wealth of info and real people using a medically proven protocol. I knew testing diabetics was important - my vet told me not to test at home but later figured out he didn't know HOW to test using the ear...he only knew to do a vein draw which indeed shouldn't be done at home.

I gave the info to my vet when I was too new to truly understand all of it - made him mad that I wasn't necessarily going to blindly follow his advice. When I got my feet on the ground a bit more, we got into an argument over treatment - we finally agreed to disagree. I treat the diabetes, he treats everything else. He does write my Levemir prescriptions when needed.

Not really as I quickly realized my vet wasn't truly up to date on feline diabetes - he took canine training and applied it to felines which just doesn't work well at all.

Again, not really for the reason in my previous answers.

If TR protocol hadn't been peer reviewed and medically proven/published, I might have had more reservations but since that wasn't the case, I've never felt bad. I DO feel bad for his other diabetic cats who are still prescribed bad insulins, home testing is discouraged - needless to say many don't ever recover.

5. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

I learned about TR/dosing here, and was feeling horribly torn early on because my vet had actually instructed me to start at a higher dose than the protocol would have (this happens often). I was trying to manage my cat, the advice I was getting here, and my relationship with my trusted vet. I compromised a bit, winged it some, tested a lot, but pretty soon when I showed my vet Quintus's spreadsheet and explained why I had done this or that, my vet quickly told me I had it figured and was doing everything right. From then on I went solo, he had a link to the spreadsheet, and every now and again I would send him an e-mail to let him know how things were going.

6. Hogan

Hogan Member

Hi Stefano,

I feel for you, I've been following Wally's posts, and I know the frustration and disappointment that comes when you try so hard and you are not getting the results you hoped for. But be patient, I truly think the advice you are getting here is the way to go.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Reason for edit: ETA: sorry, realized you were looking for TR-specific feedback.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.