? Tiki Cat Calorie Discrepancy on Food Chart?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rachel, Sep 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I have a question. I switched to Tiki Cat lately from Wellness due to the phosphorus change. I did my research first on the food chart and chose Tiki due to the low phosphorus, low carbs, and total calories. I've been feeding Puka Puka Luau and Koolina Luau. On Dr. Lisa's chart, they are both listed at roughly 220 calories/6 oz. can. Wellness Chicken Complete Health was also at that (for a 5.5 oz can). I figured since I was switching to the same amount of calories, it would be fine.

However, when I looked around some lately, I've seen indications that the calories on Tiki are much lower than I thought! About 150 calories per 6 oz can for both those flavors. That is listed on their cans as well. So my question is...which is right? Is Dr. Lisa's list wrong? Do I need to be feeding my cats more?

2 of them eat most of their food right up (but that's normal for them anyway). They don't act super hungry except at meal time. The other cat doesn't even eat all her normal portion of the food...she seems fine, just full.

Thanks guys! I'm just not sure where to go anymore on this one!

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

When we were working on a food chart the Tiki website had most info, and when I called them they answered all questions. I'd go with what they say.
    https://tikipets.com/cat/

Squalliesmom likes this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If your cats weight is stable and they don't need to gain, I wouldn't worry about it one way or the other on the calories

If you weigh them once a week or so and they start losing weight they don't need to lose, then you'd need to increase the amount of food if it's lower calorie per ounce

Kris & Teasel and Squalliesmom like this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I agree with using their weight as a guide. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.