? Time for her shot but she won't eat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by nb123, Apr 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nb123

nb123 New Member

It's time for Cookie's shot but I can't get her to eat. I even put down some of the gravy stuff which I know is bad for her. Do I still give her the shot? Do I just wait until she eats then give her one or not give her one at all tonight? If I do give her one once she eats, do we stay on the regular schedule for tomorrow morning or does this now change our 12 hour shot schedule?

Help please.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

What insulin are you using? What dose do you usually give? Do you test her blood glucose at home?

Re food: if you're using Vetsulin she has to have a meal on board 20-30 minutes beforehand because it can hit quickly and hard. If you use a depot insulin like Lantus she only needs to eat a teaspoon or two before you inject because it's slow in onset.

Re timing: you have about an hour's flexibility with Vetsulin. With Lantus you have to keep a fairly strict 12/12 schedule.

3. nb123

nb123 New Member

Thank you. Sorry, it's Lantus. We're down to 2.5 units from 3. Her numbers were good last week. I do not do home testing. (couldn't figure out how to post a thread vs a conversation. I'll get there, I'm sure.)

Think the hairball she just threw up might've answered my question and possibly calmed my nerves.

Her regular feeding would've been 7pm ish. It's 8:12pm my time - are we still within the window?

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You can give her the shot now. Tomorrow and the next you can walk the time back by changing it by 30 minutes once a day or 15 minutes twice a day.

5. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

There is a thread in Think Tank, "Some bad advice for newbies". It is written by a senior staff member and goes well beyond my own knowledge.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/some-bad-advice-for-newbies.9070/
    A partial and unedited quote.
    "There is a strange meme that seems to have survived from the days of Humulin N, that I think is seriously endangering newcomers' kitties. The meme is
    no food => no insulin.
    I think this is just about as intelligent as
    no exercise => no oxygen".

As I understand it insulin will not metabolize without food in the cats system. Noah eats almost on command but there are days when his privacy is invaded or there's a knock at the door. I've also read injecting into muscle mass will produce a quicker but therefore shorter acting effect. This is way beyond my understanding and I've only ever used Caninsulin so please do more research.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.