Tina and Jan finally saying Hello!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tina Marie (GA) and Jan, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

This group has been helping my girl Tina, and I since the beginning of July. We started Lantus on July 3rd.

Tina had I-131 (radioactive iodine treatment) for hyperthyroidism the end of 2018. Soon after that, her kidneys became a concern, and arthritis seemed to be getting worse. We had complete blood work done, and in February, she had very high glucose . . . and I was not told. It was over 500 again in July, and the doc called and said she was diabetic and to immediately start her on 2 units Lantus BID. I was curious and asked for her past blood work. It was extremely upsetting to learn Tina was suffering neuropathy and had high BGs for a long time. Doc apologized profusely, also commenting about cats BG going up during those stressful office visits. Note to self . . . always ask to see blood work!!

The vet agreed with me on NOT feeding that awful prescription kidney stuff, and feeding Weruva Paw Lickin' Chicken for example. No need to limit her protein at this point. Low phosphorus and carbs, yes. Plus I began giving Zobaline.

Many thanks to all of you and this AMAZING resource; I feel close to many of you through your kitty's stories. I would love input, questions, anything to help me do better with Tina. She is the heart of my kitty soul. She is amazingly sweet and an awesome diabetic patient. I want her moving around better and feeling like a whole cat instead of confining herself to a small area of the house.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    (GA) Gypsy's Parent likes this.
  2. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Hi,
    It looks like I was not successful with my spreadsheet link. After a good break and a kitty ear prick, I'll see if I can fix it. Thank you all!

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Jan and Tina Marie, welcome to FDMB. You are on the right track with changing the diet and home testing, as well as insulin therapy. There are lot of low carb wet food options and we will be happy to share information if you like.

It's shocking to learn of the diabetes diagnosis and in your case doubly so as it had been going on so long. Take heart, you are in the driver's seat now and doing everything you can to help Tina feel better as soon as possible. It is not necessarily a quick process but we will help every step of the way.

Going forward please post in the Main Health forum, so that more members can read your posts and respond. It might take a little while to navigate around the board, there are different forums dedicated to different areas. But, please don't hesitate to ask a question.

Another thing you can do is to read the yellow tagged stickies at the top of the Lantus forum, lots of good information about the insulin and the protocols used here. We have many experienced, knowledgeable members that use or have used that insulin and can really help you as you learn.

Very best wishes going forward :cat:

4. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Thank you so much Lou! Very happy to be in the drivers seat now!
    Your kitty is beautiful. I think I may be heading to the Lantus forum soon - I've seen you there :)
    I need eyes on Tina's spreadsheet, so hopefully I can get the link done right soon. I have entered her numbers since July 3, and it is great seeing our progress in color on the spreadsheet. I have been color coding my little book to match the color system used here.
    I think I've reviewed all stickies a few times, but I will keep at it because it keeps helping.
    We are so happy to be here!

5. Idjit's mom

Jan, if you can't figure out the spreadsheet link, we have members who can help. It's very valuable information that is needed to help you go forward.

Thank you and I will pass the compliment on to Idjit. He thinks he radiates in glory already, he has two elders who cater to his every need and desire, and adore him. And Tina Marie, I just wanna nuzzle and hug that little bundle of fur. She's precious.

It helps to review those stickies, not everything made sense to me the first few times around. There is so much information! And there is only so much you can absorb at a time.

6. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

I have the spreadsheet linked, finally. The spreadsheet instructions are great; I finally followed them correctly:D
    I kept trying to type "Idjit" without auto correct jumping in. Catering to that beauty, and all our precious felines is A-ok in my eyes.

7. Idjit's mom

I am trying to view the spreadsheet, but I need permission. I think there is a sharing option there somewhere. I didn't set my ss up myself, so I am no help there.

8. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

I had to sign in to Google again - I think you can see now? I promise I will get help if I don't get this worked out!

9. Idjit's mom

@JoyBee&Ravan would you see if you can see Tina's ss? It might be a glitch on my end that I can't open it.

10. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Access denied. You need permission.

11. Idjit's mom

TY!

12. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Goodness, I think I finally have the SS set to share. I have been trying so hard to reconnect with my "smarter" days, ha!

13. Idjit's mom

Success, and you still are as bright as you ever were, just dealing with a whole lot of new information. And it makes things seem harder. Love those blues and greens! Jan, you have been very very smart, and look at Tina's progress! Next step, the Lantus forum and let those members meet you and Tina Marie. They are going to be able to help you better now, and see the progress you have made. You are a super cat mom. I am hoping that Tina is going to be able to attain remission and join Idjit and others at The Falls! Wouldn't that be great?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.