? TiTi is maintaining BGs in mid 400s .NOW 649

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kathy and TiTi, May 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    Reason for edit: additional info
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I suspect she has not yet hit her magic dose.

3. Kathy and TiTi

But up or down? With such high numbers, I've no desire to experiment.

4. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I don't know what condition TiTi has that makes her high dose...IAA...Acro...etc High dose kitties are more difficult to figure out dosing ranges for.

It might be a good idea to change your title to "High Dose Kitty..Need Dosing Advice" There are a number of people on here with high dose kitties and they would be better able to tell you what could be a better dose for your girl.

5. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

The best way to determine if she needs more insulin or if she is overdosed is to leave the dose and test. That means you really need to have some tests at night. Cats tend to drop low at night so if she is coming down at night, she could be bouncing up into high numbers and it could take six cycles to clear the bounce.

So with preshot and mid cycle tests for 6-7 cycles, day and night, we should be able to tell what she's doing. You've been doing a great job of grabbing those needed daytime tests. If you are able to just get a nighttime test around +5 or +6 just for a few nights, it would help piece together the puzzle.

6. Kathy and TiTi

Is that 3 or 4am? I have one at 11:30pm

7. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

2;30 o4 3:30 a.m. is fine. That’s close to mid cycle.

I’m sorry I didn’t answer your question from the other day about why her fructosamine might be high at 9u. It’s possible that even at 9u she dropped low and bounced up spiking high numbers for several cycles. The fruc test would factor that in.

But because we are so far past when Julie first suggested you drop the dose back, why not just leave it and grab the tests and then we will know for certain. Thank you!

8. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

I agree with Marje - when you first came here it looked like 9u might be a place to start, but the more info you get now, the more it helps us see what the 13u is doing.

The reason Marje (and others) suggest a night cycle test is because we see regularly that cats might have low numbers in the night cycle, then bounce and be high in the day cycle. Since you shoot late in the evening, you could also grab a test at something like 7am, or whenever you first get up. Anything in the night cycle will help.

If the water drinking is diminished, that's a good sign. Although didn't you say she has been drinking an enormous quantity of water every day? So diminished might still be a large volume?

Have you had a chance to think about the high dose conditions? What do you think about testing her for acromegaly and iaa?

9. Kathy and TiTi

I have one at
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Her water intake and urine output is about half what it was, and remains so. But ues, it was gnormous until the last 2 days. So it is still a lot!

This leap into 649 is disheartening, but it's possible that her constipation hasn't been fixed yet. She just had a dry coughing fit, after nothing went into her mouth. My cats have this virus they pass back and forth. If she's developing that again, then this latest high number can be due to that.

I'll get a 3am test tonight, and try to catch some urine to check for ketones. Until the next test, I really can't speculate.

Acromegaly and AA tests are out of the question until I pay back my vet the 365 I owe her. Talking her into it won't be easy either. She's stubborn as a mule. Well, so am I , so we're probably a good match. :)

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  10. julie & punkin (ga)

hahaha you have to be stubborn to get help for your kitties sometimes.

There was a vet tech that posted a lot in the early FDMB days, named Jojo. She was just leaving as I came on, but she was known for some of her sayings. One of them was something like "be the tank. A tank always gets where it's going."

11. Kathy and TiTi

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    I don't get up till 9am. Get to bed round 2 - 3am. Certainly will run a night time does at 3am. If I try for 6 or 7 am, I'll be so groggy, I'll risk slicing her ear.

So far, I'm more concerned about the coughing and possible constipation than anything else. So, off now to dose with some lactulose, miralax, and zantac (apparently stimulates her digestive system).

As per the other tests, not feasible right now. Don't even know if my doctor knows the iaa test. According to symptoms described, TiTI looks nothing like a cushings kitty. Maybe the acromegaly tho'.

12. Kathy and TiTi

13. julie & punkin (ga)

ah, if you go to bed around 2-3 am, just grab a test before you go to bed. It's not usually necessary to set an alarm, especially not if you go to bed late.

14. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You're already doing a couple things for the constipation, but you might like to have a read of the Feline Constipation site.

15. Kathy and TiTi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.