to shoot or not to shoot...should I give insulin?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by NRL, Aug 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NRL

NRL New Member

Trident was at 156 1.5 hours post feeding. Now she is at 173, about 3 hours post feeding. We just gave her some more food, which is our normal routine and in case we need to give her insulin, which will probably make her BGL go up more. This is one of the few times we have tested her BGL after a meal. Thoughts?

2. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

When was her last insulin shot? Giving an insulin shot should make her numbers go down. Giving food will send it up. The numbers you have are ok. What were they before feeding and shooting?

3. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

I nust looked at your SS. It looks like all your AMPS are in the no shot range. Im not familiar with your insulin, but it looks like you should lower her dose. Someone with more dosing experience should be along soon to help. I don't think you should shoot with such low numbers.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with novolin, but I personally wouldn't shoot with a preshot level in the blues, esp. since you don't test in the night. I probably would reduce to .5 u too, but like I said, it's not the same insulin I use.

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  5. NRL

NRL New Member

We did go ahead and give her a shot last night. We have been trying to give her a lower dose than 1 unit, but our syringes only measure to 1 unit. We have more syringes on the way so we can give her .5 units, because I think that would be a much better dose. Her numbers aren't super high, but they do seem to go up with food, so a small amount of insulin would probably be best.

6. LindaMS

LindaMS Well-Known Member

a cat will go up with food, for an hour or two after feeding. It is called a food spike, and totally normal. The question is whether they can bring themselves down on their own. A diabetic cant. A non diabetic will. Most of us do, everyday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.