? To Shoot or Not to Shoot.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MeltyCat, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

He's beautiful, Melanie! :) Reminds me of Saoirse when she was a kitten. She was all eyes and very willowy-slender.

On the two forms of insulin in Caninsulin, the amorphous part kicks in first and drops the BG fairly hard and fast after onset at the beginning of the cycle - typically between +1 and +2 - depends on how fast the individual cat metabolizes the insulin - and it takes the BG down to nadir, or close to it since it typically exerts peak effect between +3 and +6. The crystalline fraction gradually becomes available as the cycle progresses, and in some cats it may produce a second nadir later in the cycle as it overlaps the action of the remaining amorphous fraction. The manufacturer gives about +7 or thereabouts as the time when the crystalline fraction exerts maximum effect.

With regard to preparing Caninsulin prior to drawing up a dose, because part of the insulin is crystalline it tends to settle at the bottom of the vial. You need to mix Caninsulin gently so that the crystalline fraction is evenly distributed in the diluent thus enabling you to get the correct proportions of both amorphous and crystalline insulin in the drawn up dose.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  2. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Thanks Áine, and from Saoirse's photo she's still all eyes - even in a full body shot, oh! Those eyes of hers!

You mentioned she saved your life -- that sounds like quite a story
    . not to pry, but if you're in a personal sharing mood, I'm intrigued!

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so thankful for this particular thread because I needed this series of lessons and information. :bighug:
    I will post a new thread about Radar's current status... and my concerns

Good Job Nikki and Phil. It looks like it's been a long couple of days but you have done well with lots of caring support and kindness from this group of wonderful animal lovers.

Brashworks and Critter Mom like this.
  4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

:D:D:D

Brashworks likes this.
  5. MeltyCat

MeltyCat Member

Okay. PMPS is 19.9.

My gut says 0.5u and a wet meal at +1 or +2, depending on his numbers.

6. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

He went fairly flat today, so I would agree with your .5u and see how he does with that in the morning.

7. MeltyCat

MeltyCat Member

Thanks Rhonda! :)

8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I like the plan, Nikki.

Remember that you can edge the dose up gradually should you need to (easier with U100 syringes). How is the food transition going, btw? Is Melty still getting dry food?

9. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

I think Melty is still getting dry - Nikki - is his tummy still gracing you with explosive poops? I'm guessing from what you have said previously you would love to transition him completely to wet (and Agapaw would have NO objection) but he can be a bit perplexed yet about the texture and his digestive issues can make it problematic. Have I got that right?

10. MeltyCat

MeltyCat Member

I switched the dry food over to Orijen Cat & Kitten, which by my calculations is about 17% carbs.
    I am still having to mush up the wet food and add water to make it more of a gravy for him to eat it but I've noticed him eating more of the chunks so I think he's getting used to the texture a little better.
    He ends up getting very little dry food. I feed half of a daily total of wet food usually 1/2 hour before shooting, and then give a small dry food snack at +1.
    Tonight I changed it a little to give the dry snack first, then the wet meal after. I was concerned he wouldn't be hungry but he was fine. :)

@Brashworks hahaha
    Unfortunately, yes :(
    Although, I must say they are ever so slightly more formed than yesterday, so I think the FortiFlora is at least helping a little.
    I may stay on the safe side a shoot at .5 in the morning, then do .6 or .75 on Thursday (I'll be home all day). <--- This is only if his numbers stay relatively high and flat of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.