? To Shoot or Not to Shoot???

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jerzgrrrl72, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerzgrrrl72

jerzgrrrl72 Member

Sorry to keep bugging everyone on here, but I'm just trying to be really proactive about this re: getting Sake into remission and OTJ (if possible.) I don't want to rush the process, but I just want to do the best thing for her.

So she has not had a shot since yesterday morning at 8:00am, when I gave her 1U w/Lantus pen (using the dialer.) It is now ~32 hrs later, and she's got a BG of 200 at 7+. She also seems to be hungry. I've got my low dose syringes now, so should I give her 1U, .5U, or nothing at all? What do you guys think??? Thanks in advance :)

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

First go in and make your spreadsheet shareable. You are the only one who can see it.
    If you are using your phone I believe you go to the three dots at the top right and make sure link sharing is turned on.
    You are only at +7 so it's impossible to know what it will be at shot time. If it's over 200 shoot. I'll let someone more experienced with lantus to give specific dosing advice. @Kris & Teasel

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

jerzgrrrl72 and JanetNJ like this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes, to posting on the Lantus forum. :)

It would help us if you set up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    • click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    • click on "signature" in the men that drops down
    • type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using /glucose meter you're using/what he eats/any other meds or health issues he has.

5. jerzgrrrl72

jerzgrrrl72 Member

I had it set to "Anyone with the link can see it," but I guess it was still not able to be viewed. I think it is now "Public," but please let me know if it isn't and I'll try again. Thanks!

6. jerzgrrrl72

jerzgrrrl72 Member

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  7. Kris & Teasel

No I can't see it. You have to click on the blue "share" button at the top right of your spreadsheet, then click on "anyone with link can view" and then copy/paste your SS's URL into the box.

8. JanetNJ

See how the blue is showing? Man me sure yours is checked

9. jerzgrrrl72

jerzgrrrl72 Member

I have copied & pasted at least 3 times, and it has the Public Share icon in the upper R corner (please see the screenshot,) so I'm not sure what else to do.

Attached Files:

10. jerzgrrrl72

jerzgrrrl72 Member

The link seems to be working now.

11. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Yup, I can see it!

jerzgrrrl72 likes this.
  12. JanetNJ

Good job fixing it

jerzgrrrl72 likes this.
  13. Kris & Teasel

I can see it too.

jerzgrrrl72 likes this.
  14. jerzgrrrl72

jerzgrrrl72 Member

Still no shot, and right before a delayed dinner, and we're at 154, 13+! I think the Spreadsheet updated, but I'm not sure. Thoughts???

15. JanetNJ

Nice numbers. Ideally he'd be below 120 but being new you are right to skip.

jerzgrrrl72 likes this.
  16. jerzgrrrl72

jerzgrrrl72 Member

Good (late) morning, Everyone! 51 hrs+ and still no shot. I finally got a pre-breakfast test from her, (and THIS time I DID NOT hit the vein--WOO HOO,) but it delayed her breakfast by about 2 hrs, which was definitely not the plan. It was the highest # so far: 257 @ 13+. I also have my 4 yr old with me this weekend, so it's more difficult balancing taking care of him and now, closely monitoring her as well, than it is on weekends when he's with his Dad. That 257 is her highest # since starting the Lantus 2 weeks ago. Her Spreadheet has been updated as well. Happy Sunday, Everyone :cat:

17. JanetNJ

you may want to start a little insulin support. I don't have lantus experience so I would ask on the lantus forum, but I would think you could start with half a unit twice a day just to try to keep her under 120. Looks good.

18. jerzgrrrl72

jerzgrrrl72 Member

Thanks, Janet. I do have it posted over there, but I've only had one person even respond at all. They're not very responsive over there, or at least not to me :( I figure I'll test her midway through her feeding cycle, and if she's not back to her lower #s, then I'll give her .5 unit at dinner.

19. JanetNJ

Change the title to something like dosing advice please.

20. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

I think a good place to start is to check out the "stickies" on the lantus forum for the two dosing methods used, Start Low, Go Slow (SLGS) and Tight Regulation (TR). Both give ways to calculate a "starting dose" that I think would be reasonable for Sake (even though you technically already started). Once you figure out which method will work for you, you can get started and maybe start getting conversations going about Sake's progress.

I'm sorry you haven't gotten a lot of response yet on the Lantus forum itself, but don't worry, things will pick up :). It takes a little while to get in the groove over there, and weekends are a bit spotty sometimes.

jerzgrrrl72 likes this.
  21. jerzgrrrl72

jerzgrrrl72 Member

Color me completely confused at this point! :confused: At 3.5+, still no insulin in 55 hrs, we're back down to 110. :confused: I think I'll give her a snack now... (#neverendingscienceexperiment)

Kris & Teasel and JanetNJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.