Tobi, just recently diagnosed and starting insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by rebecky, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebecky

rebecky New Member

Hi everyone!
    One of my cats was just recently diagnosed and it has been quite difficult because my vet has been out of the office and had temp vets in for her. She is still out.
    At first they thought Tobi was just prediabetic, but found glucose in his urine so the determined he was diabetic.
    I have started him on the Purina DM canned food and Lantus insulin. I have been testing his blood sugar with the AlphaTRAK2 glucose meter. His highest number has been 153 and my vet told me to give him 1 unit of insulin if it was above 120. Looking at all the numbers here in this forum it seems his number aren't very high.

Any advice would be appreciated! I'll attach the journal I have been keeping of his numbers and a picture of him(orange) and his sister.

IMG_7436.JPG IMG_8349.jpeg

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and Tobi. Beautiful kitties!
    Sounds like your vet diagnosed Tobi simply on the basis of sugar in his urine. While sugar is not usually found in the urine, normally a fructosamine test which gives a picture of what blood glucose has been over a period of roughly 2 to 3 weeks prior, would be done to confirm the diagnosis.

I agree your readings so far are looking pretty normal and we normally don't suggest giving insulin with any pre-shot less than 150 or higher given you are using a pet meter.

I'm going to ask you to copy your post and repost in the main Health forum HERE as this is just the welcome mat and we don't give specific advice here as there is little traffic and this is a peer reviewed board. I'll look for you over on Health. :D

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Your numbers are in normal range. Normal on a pet meter it's 68-150. I wouldn't give more than 0.5 units and only if 180+ and really keep in checking.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

And perscription food is not necessary. Most of us feed fancy feast classic or Friskies pate.

5. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Welcome! Beautiful kitties, looks like they are holding paws, so sweet! There is a great group of pet parents here, very knowledgeable about feline diabetes. You are already off to a good start with testing and those numbers do look pretty normal. The experienced members here can help you figure things out.

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Lovely pair of kitties! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.