Tom update

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sonia & Tom (GA), Jun 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Sonia & Tom (GA) Well-Known Member

Just came back from the vet's. Tom is still there.

She could feel he was constipated and was a little dehydrated. I'm concerned that he lost about 2 pounds since last summer :sad: I'm sure part of it is today's vomiting and dehydration but still...

Decided to do x-rays and check not just his bowel but take a look at his organs as well. His bowel didn't look too full but there is a "plug" of hard poop. Other organs look normal.

We left him there for a bit. They will do an enema, give him some fluids and run full blood work. They are open until 11pm so we'll pick him up later.

Once we have lab results, we'll discuss the go forward. Maybe I'll start giving him sub-q at home.

2. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

I hope that tonight's treatment will be all that Tom needs to feel better.

Keep us posted!

Odiesmom

3. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

Hi Sonia,
    Not sure what's going on, but constipation can cause vomiting (something about some vagal response) when they strain and get stressed... leads to vomiting.

Both my 16yo boys started getting constipated on a fair regular basis (monthly), so I started mixing in miralax into their wet food (I use 1/4 tsp for each meal, split between the two cats... so 1/4 tsp each cat per day). No constipation since then.

hope that helps!
    -Cyn

4. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Cyn,
    I'll try to find a Canadian equivalent for the Miralax but is it an issue if the younger ones have it too? Minnie is 12 so I'm not concerned but Sunrise is only 8 months.

5. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Miralax isn't sold in Canada. Here it is called Lax-a-Day, or Restoralax (same product).

I hope Tom feels better when he comes home!

6. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I am sure he will feel a whole lot better after that plug is removed! When I took Shadoe in when she had her p-titis attack, they did some "expressing" and cleaned her out. Boy was she ever upset, the little princess spent most of the day cleaning up her wet bum :lol:

When Oliver was there today for his Xrays, they mentioned he's got a whole lotta poop in there, to which I replied that happens when you eat 30oz food a day.. it goes in and goes right out again.

After Shadoe's 'flushing' and adding SQuids, she was like a whole new cat and I am sure that Tom will come home feeling tons better too.

7. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Handsome Tom...hope he feels better real soon...so glad the xray showed his other organs looked good!
    Hugs from us.... :YMHUG:

8. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Tom's home and we're on poop patrol.

The enema didn't work but we thought it would be best if he came home. If no poop by tomorrow morning, back to the vet he goes.

He is not a happy boy but went straight for his food.

On poop patrol for the night.

9. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

I answered on the other thread, but wanted to add that the daily SQ lactated ringers soln is very effective in helping especially in conjunction with the miralax.

Miralax dose that works for us: I add 1/4 t to each 5.5oz can of food. You will need to experiment- give too much and back off slowly.

Lately I mix up a big bowl of food, enough for 2-3 days, 3 cans DM, 1 of wellness core fish, 1 can full of boiled chicken mush, 3/4 can of water, and a rounded measuring teaspoon of miralax. Cody eats anything and thinks this slop is heaven sent!

10. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

Any more news on poor Tom??

11. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Had to take him back this morning for another enema. They finally had to manually help him get the "plug" out then he was able to go afterwards.
    Just got back home a few minutes ago. He seems better though cranky - understandably so!!

Thanks for all your help and advice.

12. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

FYI miralax is tasteless, so you can sprinkle a tiny bit on his food and he wont notice. If he's prone to this trouble its a life saver.

13. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

Glad to hear that he is home and that the "issue" has been resolved for now.
    I don't really blame him for being cranky after that :D

14. Sonia & Tom (GA)

I know! I get cranky for less...
    Btw, noticed you're from Ottawa. I live in Toronto but I'm from Hull (now Gatineau) Quebec. I love Ottawa.

15. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

I really like it here. I'm from NB originally.

16. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.