? Too low to dose

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by RRaptor, Aug 21, 2018.

1. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Olivia was too low to dose this morning. I'm working during the day and unable to get any midcycle tests during the day, but I check at night. I went up to 3u last night and everything seemed fine, but she was too low AMPS and was in the pink by PMPS, but I cut back down to 2.5 this evening. I meant to ask earlier, but it's been hectic. Right call? Better advice for the future?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Maybe try holding at 2.5 u for a few days. Get a before bed test if you can’t test during the day.

Rachel and RRaptor like this.
  3. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Still not sure exactly what's going on here, but I've started hiding the dog kibble containers since she's knocking them down to get them open and steal food.

4. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

I meant to get a mid cycle last night, but fell asleep. 228 AMPS so I dropped to 1.75 because I'm nervous. I guess I'll see by pmps if it's too low/high

5. Kris & Teasel

I understand your nerves. :) If you feel braver next time you have a low 200s PS you can try giving the full dose and test at +2 to see where she might be heading. If that's still too drastic for now, try lowering by only 0.25 u. These experiments are what teach you a lot about your kitty's responses and they build your dosing confidence.

RRaptor likes this.
  6. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Thank you @Kris & Teasel . I should have tried that since I'll be home until +5 today! Thank you for your guidance

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  7. Kris & Teasel

It takes time to get more comfortable making dosing decisions. Home testing and data collection as you have been doing are key but we're always here to offer advice too. :)

8. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Stalling on 189 right meow pmps

9. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

175 now, which I imagine is pretty much the same.

10. Kris & Teasel

You could stall again but it doesn't look like she's coming up. Try a lower dose, either 2.25 u or even 2 u if you're more comfortable with that. Get a +2 test this evening.

RRaptor and Rachel like this.
  11. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Whoops! Well hello Olivia...decided to drop lower than normal tonight, eh? Yeah 175 is basically the same as 189...you can call them the same since they're so close. Definitely want to drop the dose like Kris suggested!

RRaptor likes this.
  12. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Approximately what +2 numbers would indicate I can safely go to sleep?

13. Kris & Teasel

If the drop at +2 is about 50 points or less you *should* be OK but one more test at +3 would be worth doing if you can stay up. If the drop is more than that try feeding a small snack of her regular low carb food and test again at +3.

RRaptor likes this.
  14. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Thank you. I can definitely get a +2 and +3

15. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

130 at +2.

16. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Hi. Just wondering if she ate her regular dinner at shot time? Will be curious to see her +3.

17. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

@Jenna Josie She ate about the same amount as usual. +3 is 89 and I'm going to feed a snack.

Djamila likes this.
  18. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

I think that’s a great idea! When is her usual nadir? Looks like maybe a little early, maybe +5?

(I use a human meter, btw, so I’m used to seeing lower numbers.)

PS. our internet is misbehaving but hopefully is back up steadily now. Will be checking in on you and Olivia.

19. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Probably around +5 or +6, though I don't have a lot of +7 data. These are "good" numbers, but numbers that make me nervous to go to sleep!

20. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Yep, totally get it. Was there myself just last night! :) (And now of course am sad that she’s in the yellows.)

I think your next test is on the hour? Will certainly be here. (Internet seems steady again.)

How much of a snack did she get?

21. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

She ate about 2/3 of a can of friskie, I let her stop when she was ready. I feel great about yellows after DKA and all the black/red.

I think I'll try to get a +5 instead of testing now since she ate so much?

22. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Oh, I’m a data junkie :) so if she tolerates the tests well (or likes to be bribed with treats!), i’d get one. I think it’s helpful for “next time” to see the impact of food, which I think starts hitting the BG about 15-20 mins after it’s eaten.

Is Friskies 5.5 oz? If so, then she ate about 3-4 oz?

23. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

I want to test all the time, and I want to test the civilians too! I am, however, using the AlphaTrak and I'm low on strips. I think I'm going to try to pick up a human meter tomorrow. My wife is very frustrated with the cost of things and hopefully that will alleviate some of it and I can get all the information.
    So, with (hopefully) no current danger I can wait.

Yes, 5.5 oz cans. I would say your estimation is pretty spot on. I left the rest out for her or the other kitters.

24. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

If you’re almost out, then a +5 it’ll be! On one hand, now that the dose is hitting, the difference from the +3 might be on the larger side, but OTOH, she ate a good snack, so I would expect that might help her hold steady.

But only bc I edited the post before anyone saw that my math was wrong. :D

I’ll be here for your +5.

(Also, we use the Relion Confirm. My vet recommended going with whatever had the less expensive strips and that the patterns were more important than the numbers. That works except that I do have to remind him that we are using “human numbers” when I give him updates.)

RRaptor likes this.
  25. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

@RRaptor Were you able to get the +5? I am a little worried not to see you. I hope everything is okay?

26. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Well, her numbers should be coming up soon now in any case as (I think?) she's nearing +6, but just in case, the protocol would be to feed her like a tablespoon-sized snack and then re-test in 20 minutes until she gets into the "Good Greens" (as opposed to the lime, "take action" greens). If her numbers after 20 minutes are coming up, then test again -- without feeding -- in an hour to make sure she's holding her own. If they are not, then feed again, re-test in 20 minutes, etc. If they're low, then if you have some HC food, feed that. If you have some kind of gravy HC food, you can take off the lid and then lay it back onto the food to kind of squeeze out the gravy and feed her a teaspoon or so of the gravy.

If she went into the limes, then I believe that means she earned a dose reduction for her next shot (tomorrow AM's shot), but this is where I get a bit confused bc after a low cycle, especially if she went into the limes, her next PS number will probably be high due to a bounce, so reducing always feels counter-intuitive even though I know that the shot is based on the previous cycle's nadir as well as the PS number.

(Maybe you already know all this? If so, sorry! I didn't when I was newer than I am now.)

I am tagging @Caitlin M as I think she is here, and it is past my bedtime. Hopefully she can weigh in and clarify that/provide additional information if necessary.

I hope Olivia is doing okay!

27. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Thank you for staying up and for your concern! I lay here until nearly test time and then I must have fallen asleep. I just woke up and it is +7. Olivia appeared fine and tested at 222. She was asleep and seemed annoyed, then went to the food bowl where there was still a bit of the friskies left and began to eat.

I imagine the 222 is a bounce or she had just eaten a bit. I'm very curious about our AMPS numbers.

28. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

29. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

454 AMPS. Any one up with guidance?

30. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Here! Am I too late?

31. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

@Rachel you're not too late, I posted early!

32. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Well your AMPS is definitely a bounce. With that in mind I think I’d probably go 2.25 if you can since 2.5 brought her too low on a pink.

33. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

I can't be home to test today, would 2.25 or 2 to match last night be best?

34. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

If you can’t test maybe go with 2 for safety’s sake. Should be fine today with the bounce but never hurts to be careful.

RRaptor and Jenna Josie like this.
  35. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I like this meter: https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/8177/agamatrix-presto-blood-glucose-meter-kit-and-strips

It's cheap and ordering online makes it easy for me (as long as I remember to order well in advance of running out!). If you have a Kroger grocery near you, the test strips are the same as their store brand, so in a pinch you can pick up a box. The downside of this meter is that it takes a .5 blood sample instead of a .3 like some of the meters, but it's cheaper and my kitty bleeds easily enough that it works for us.

RRaptor likes this.
  36. Caitlin M

Caitlin M Well-Known Member

Well, I suck! I was on here earlier and there was no alert about being tagged! I'm so sorry but so glad that others were here to guide you.

RRaptor likes this.
  37. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

@Caitlin M it's alright!

Liv was up to 471 PMPS, but the dog brought out some contraband while we were at work so I'm not sure if it's that, bounce, not enough insulin. I stuck with 2u this evening and I'll check her before bed.

38. Djamila

Yikes. Looks like you'll have to be very careful about the dog food/treats. That can definitely be a cause of high numbers in cats around here. Especially as we cut carbs out of their regular diet, they get pretty sneaky about finding ways to steal them from other pets.

39. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

I bought a human meter last night, but haven't updated my spreadsheet. PMPS was 597, +3 was 331. AMPS is 324. Should I stick with 2 for a few more cycles? Is it dropping her too quickly?

40. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

@Kris & Teasel I'm seeing that you're active if you have a few minutes to answer my previous question.

41. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Hi. I hope someone who can answer your question with more experience hops on to weigh in, but she doesn’t seem ever to drop more than 50%, so if that were to happen today, I would think she’d still stay in the mid blues around nadir?

(When you do put your recent data in, I think it would be helpful to put in a highlighted row that shows you’re changing to a human meter and indicate that in the highlighted row. See JanetNJ’s SS and how she showed her insulin change a couple of weeks ago.)

RRaptor and Kris & Teasel like this.
  42. Kris & Teasel

No, her numbers are too high overall and that's a concern with a recent DKA. I'd try 2.25 u both AM and PM for a few cycles. If you don't see better nadirs on that, increase to 2.5 u. She seems to be a kitty who'll drop lower periodically and that can make dosing more complicated. I have a lot of experience with this! ;) As hard as it can be you need to focus more on overall trends in numbers and past the odd low bits to decide on a dose. I'm also a fan of keeping the dose the same AM and PM unless the data shows you otherwise. If a kitty is a little volatile - and Olivia is - frequent dose changes can aggravate that.

Re "no shot" if appetite is off: it's best not to skip insulin, especially in a kitty who has had DKA. ProZinc is slow enough in onset that you can give even a reduced dose and try to get her to eat a few teaspoons of food before about +2 or +3 when the insulin is kicking in. How much to reduce the dose is always tricky to figure out. That's where lots of data from other "dose reduction" experiments helps. You just have to try something to see what happens. Maybe 50% of the normal dose would be a starting point. Worst case is that you have to prop her up with some higher carb food. We say often here that it's extremely rare that a kitty who is being monitored the way we (and you) do has a symptomatic hypo. DKA is by far the more dangerous thing.

RRaptor and Djamila like this.
  43. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Unfortunately, I had to leave for work before I recieved your guidance this morning and I went ahead and shot 2u. 302 was PMPS and down to 187 at +3.5 on 2.25u.

44. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

317 AMPS. 233 PMPS. Shooting 2.25 right now. I started a new spreadsheet because I'm not sure how to merge the two, but I've got them both in my signature now.

45. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I think that's a good choice for the dose. That yellow after a pink in the AM tells me that the insulin may have brought her to a very nice number at nadir! Get what mid cycles you can this weekend (if you can...I can't remember who has to work weekends and who doesn't) and let's see if an increase is needed or not. If you could get mid cycle tonight or tomorrow, that would be especially helpful since you could then raise the dose and still have a day or two to see how that works out for her.

RRaptor likes this.
  46. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Got a curve today. Looks like increasing to 2.5 will be alright tonight.

47. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

That would be my call, too, and reading through the thread, it looks like this is what Kris &Teasel (post #42) And Rachel (post #45) we’re anticipating.

RRaptor and Djamila like this.
  48. Djamila

Yup, that sounds like a good idea. :)

RRaptor likes this.
  49. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

She was pretty steady throughout the day and didn't get too high PMPS. I think earlier high numbers were because she figured out how to open the dog food storage containers. Now everything is stored more securely and I think I'll see better patterns now that she and the dogs are not in league to get contraband.

Djamila likes this.
  50. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Why can’t we all just get along? Or, when we do, use our powers for something other than mischief!

It may be helpful in the future (if you see another pattern like this one) to put your contraband suspicions in the remarks section on the SS. This is the exact thing that I always am positive I’ll remember and then never do. :rolleyes: Writing it down sure helps.

51. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yep, that is what I was anticipating!

As for the dog food...well I can't recall who or when, but awhile ago we had someone who had a dog food stealer too. We used to joke that she was going to need to put the dog food in a stainless steel, airtight container with a padlock buried deep in her backyard!

RRaptor likes this.
  52. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Yes, I did note it a few times in the older spreadsheet, but I wasn't always sure when it had happened.

For instance, I came home to find the container containing dry cat food in the dining room one day. It's a repurposed tidy cats bucket, and it was upright and closed. So, the dog somehow opened the baby gate to the kitchen, transported this large bucket and then either got it opened and closed again or somehow never opened it. It's a mystery. I should get a camera.

53. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

I moved all of the food containers to a behind a closed door that none of the animals have learned how to open yet.

54. Djamila

yet :p

Jenna Josie and RRaptor like this.
  55. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Ok, kitter was at 204 this morning and I gave full 2.5u.

Djamila likes this.
  56. Djamila

That's the lowest PS number you've had. Will you be able to get a test around +2 or +3?

RRaptor likes this.
  57. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Yes, I don't have anywhere to be until +7. Just a little nervous.

58. Djamila

No need to be nervous. You gave her 2u on a blue not that long ago and had a lovely cycle. Fingers crossed you find a nice safe green today!

59. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

I like to get a +2 on days that I'm feeling a little anxious (like today! lol) I don't have a lot of data for these situations yet, but if the number has gone up at that time from a typical food spike (from the food she got at shot-time), then I can relax a little; if it hasn't gone up, then I know to be extra attentive. It's a little like an early warning system, and so I can plan in advance for what we'll do as the cycle goes on. Rather than, you know, making decisions while I'm in the middle of freaking out. :)

Kris & Teasel and Djamila like this.
  60. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Looks like she got her food spike at +2 and that the Prozinc is kicking in around/by +3. So that's all to the good! (And don't you just wish the +3 had been a point lower so you could have a pretty blue there? ;) )

61. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Got a blue for 4.5!

Rachel and Djamila like this.
  62. Djamila

Yay!

RRaptor likes this.
  63. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Awww, that's a beautiful blue! Nice and safe. It would be interesting to see what her +6 (possible nadir) is before you have to leave for the afternoon (hope it's a BBQ!) since you've pretty much got half a curve going at this point, but hopefully you are feeling less anxious now that the data support her going into a nice cycle.

RRaptor likes this.
  64. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Yes, I think she'll stay out of the danger zone. I'm curious about +6 too, yesterday she was pretty flat from +4-10. And yes, a BBQ today!

Jenna Josie likes this.
  65. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

191 +6, so really no change from +4 and really almost the same as AMPS