Traveling Question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by llinderl, Apr 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. llinderl

llinderl New Member

This is something I've been thinking about since Joey was diagnosed last month: traveling. I am a travel nurse and my hubby and 2 boys (Joey and Hanley) go with me to my new assignments. Joey has always been a decent traveler, and him and I have made many trips in his nearly 11 years. He mostly just sleeps. Last year we had a longer commute and stopped at a hotel and he seemed to calm down and not be too stressed fairly quickly. So, I'm a bit hopeful for any longer cross-country commutes we may be embarking on at the end of May when my current assignment is complete.

Long story short, anyone have any stories, tips, tricks, or advice with traveling with a sugar cat?

Is there a better place to post this question?

Good news: The boys love their new super sturdy crate. Though Hanley (a civvie if I'm using the term correctly (not diabetic)) prefers to sleep on top of it now...

2. llinderl

llinderl New Member

Joey and his ornery little brother, Hanley. (I love showing off my boys.)

Attached Files:

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

4. llinderl

llinderl New Member

5. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I bought this large 57" 2 door puppy playpen from Jet.com for my destination, but always keep my cats in seat belted in hard carriers while in the car. The cats should be micro chipped for just in case. I would also highly recommend getting them slowly used to being in a harness while in the house, now. Mine always have a snug fitting harness and leash on them at all times while traveling.

llinderl likes this.
  6. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I love that crate! Where did you get it? What size is it?

7. llinderl

llinderl New Member

Thank you! I'm hoping they will both travel well in it. Going to give it a trial run this weekend with a 3 hour drive down to my parent's house.

I bought it at a pet store called Premier Pet Supply. It may be just a local place, but I'm not for certain. The crate is a Precision Premium Soft Side Crate 5000. Measures 42 inches long, 28 inches wide, and 27 inches tall. It says it's made to hold a 90 pound dog... though I don't think it would be tall enough for most dogs that big to stand up in. But anyway, my goal is for both my boys, litter box, some water, and hopefully a comfortable, smooth ride! This crate is very sturdy too. It also collapses to lie flat (after moving and unsecuring the bars inside) and fits nicely in a carrying case. Quite lightweight too! (Hopefully the link works for you.) It was pricey where I bought it ($135) but was told I could return it if it doesn't work or fit in the back of our Jeep Renegade. We'll see how it goes!

https://www.chewy.com/precision-pet-products-soft-sided/dp/102013?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Precision Pet Products&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KEQjwt6fHBRDtm9O8xPPHq4gBEiQAdxotvLe_D1Utn95hiJGS6Pd_C2dWQbJjIUImGaE_0YYKWe0aApDn8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

8. llinderl

llinderl New Member

Very nice looking playpen! I contemplated one of those two. Luckily both of my boys love the one I got them. I am also lucky both don't mind a collar or harness. Both have been micro-chipped since kittens too. Great advice though! I'll have to try out a leash on both of them next and see what they think of that on them all the time too.

Dyana likes this.
  9. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Thank you so much! That looks great!

llinderl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.