Trouble testing for Ketones?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by FurballLover, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

I was at the vet today, getting a checkup for my civie Molly, and and 'official' otj/remission for Charlie:)
    When discussing the difficulties for collecting a sample for ketones, my vet talked about a product that is easier to use.
    Donna & Buddha was kind enough to give me the link:
    http://www.purinaveterinarydiets.com/FelineProductDetail.aspx?prod=262

It seems like you can only get it through the vet, but it is an alternative for those who have trouble catching their kitties at the box. Not sure of the cost yet, will ask the vet tomorrow. I just wanted to share, and see if anyone has used this product before? I know its not great for an up-to-the-minute result, but for those who need occasional 'spot checks' it might be worth checking out.

You mix it in with the clumping litter, and can check any 'result/clump' within 12 hours!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Purina® Glucotest® tests for Glucose not Ketones

It tests for glucose not ketones. The referenced link says:
    "A simple, accurate at-home way to determine the amount of glucose (sugar) in your cat's urine."

3. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Re: Trouble testing for Ketones? This might help

Thanks Larry, a couple of us missed this last night--duh!:) I am wondering if there is a different one that my vet was talking about. Will ask her this morning when I stop by her office.

4. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

This is probably "Gluco-Test".

It's confetti-like stuff you mix into the litter. When damp with urine it will
    change color if there is sugar in the urine. DOES NOT TEST FOR KEYTONES.

I hated it. Very inaccurate. I hated di-secting urine clumps for the little pieces of paper.

Once mixed into the litter, it's only good for 3 days then you must completely change the litter
    box out (their instructions).

It was something like $7 per packet from the vet.. 1 use per packet. Discard 10 days after
    opening...something like that.

Read directions very carefully....after they are peed on, you have to wait some period of
    time before reading the color change.

5. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Ok--stopped by the vets this morning to drop off Molly's 'sample' (she didn't cooperate yesterday, had to get one this morning)

My vet wasn't there, but a tech looked for the one she was talking about--yes it only tests for glucose--darn! Was hoping there was a new product that would make it easier for us. oh well.
    I'm editing the title of this post to remove the "this might help" part--it obviously doesn't, too bad:(

Karen-thanks for letting me know about your experiences with the product--I doubt we will try it. Seems like it would be mostly worthless, and not all that easy to use. Not to mention having to discard all the litter from the box, what a waste.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.