? Trying not to panic - hypo later? Pmps 139 0.5u since friday. +1.5 150 , +2.5 144, +4 137, +7 237

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Myagi (GA) and Heidi, Dec 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Myagi (GA) and Heidi Well-Known Member

Ok. Breathing. Going to eat my dinner. Myagi pmps 139. Only couple days on. 5u. He's eating. I'm staring. How often do I need to test to make sure no hypo??? I shot anyway cause those are the rules for wearing big girl pants to care for sugar babies! His lows have only been 200s. Breathing. Putting phone down to eat.

2. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

I can't stay with you but I'll offer the first pieces of advice...

Get a +1 and +2 tests. Those will show you if he has any startling plans. But you may want to get more in throughout the night just to get a feeling for what he does.

Do you have higher carb food on hand in case?

Hope others come by and give some wisdom! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

3. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

Great advice.
    Also, please post the numbers when you test so that you can get advice, reassurance or help as needed. :):bighug::cat:

4. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Can you update your SS with the PMPS and any additional tests you got during the day, it will help others help you.

I stay up pretty late and can keep you company, but I am not very experienced, we've only been at this since September.

How often you test largely depends on what kind of numbers you are seeing, since you are pretty new and you don't have a lot of data, you're probably going to need to test a good bit. +1 and +2 should give you some insight about the cycle ahead.

5. Stacy & Asia

Oh and in addition to the SS, post the numbers in your title so people can see at quick glance what is going on :cat:

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Next time you get a Pre-shot you're not sure about, DON'T feed!! Stall for 20 minutes or so and test again to see if he's coming up on his own without the influence of food.

That being said, since you don't have many mid-cycle tests (and none today) we don't know if he went lower earlier in the cycle and is on his way up, or if he's still dropping

Can you change his shot time tomorrow and shoot 2 hours later?....and then work your way back to your normal time 15 minutes per cycle?

7. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

@Chris & China ok. Timing wise can I work With a smaller window than two hours? Tomorrow would be ok but rest of week will be issue.

8. Chris & China (GA)

Well since you fed him, we'd want to wait 2 hours and that would be your PMPS tonight....so tomorrow you could shoot 1 hr, 45 minutes late at AM, 1 hour 30 minutes late at PM....but it would take a few days to get back to your usual time. 4 days in total @ 30 minutes per day so you wouldn't be back on normal time until Tuesday morning

It may be best to just skip tonight and start over in the morning. Just put N.S. in the U column (for No Shot)

We usually will shoot at 150 here, but you don't really have enough data on him yet to do it quite yet....eventually you work your way down to where you'll shoot anything over 50, but only after you have a lot of data on your cat and understand how they respond to both food and insulin

9. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

?? I shot him tonight. I thought I was supposed to.??

10. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

You're fine :bighug:
    Just get those first few hours of tests in and the forum will help guide.

11. Chris & China (GA)

OK....then you'll want to get a +1 and +2 and see how he's doing. IF we need to intervene, it's better to catch it early

Don't panic....he may do just fine!! Just make sure you have plenty of strips, high carb food, Karo/honey/syrup .....just in case you need them!!

We don't usually suggest shooting lower numbers until you have a little more experience on how your cat reacts, but it's OK....as long as you're able to test, you'll be able to keep him safe!

Myagi (GA) and Heidi likes this.
  12. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

I will! I have plenty. Grateful while breathing. He's been annoyed by the mid tests so this won't be fun but we got it. He's great for amps and pmps because of meals. But the mids I have to dag him out from under the bed or out of closet. But I have all and will set out to be handy and will post the numbers. Thanks!!!!@

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  13. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Curious... what would be a number for him that I wouldn't shoot below (presuming he goes back to high yellows)?

14. Stacy & Asia

Do you have any (low carb) treats you could give him that are just special for test times? That might make it a lot more appealing for him. :cat:

15. Chris & China (GA)

At first, our "stall" number is 150....if he's under 150, stall, don't feed and post for help.....test again in 20-30 minutes

If the number goes up in that time, it's usually safe to go ahead and shoot because it means the last shot is wearing off....plus, since the onset of Lantus isn't usually for a couple of hours, you've got time to get him eating well.

As you get more experience, that "no shot" number starts to come down. Those of us with enough experience that are doing Tight Regulation will shoot anything over 50 (and I've actually shot a 50 once!)

16. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

17. Chris & China (GA)

I learned from some of the best!....right here on the FDMB!!

Most of us are so grateful for the help we get that we want to "pay it forward"....that's what I'm doing!!

Not everyone is comfortable giving dosing advice and that's fine...it's a big responsibility....but a lot of times what a newbie needs to hear are things like "I was where you are a few weeks ago and I'm doing it!" and "We understand and will help you any way we can"

18. Chris & China (GA)

I'd get a +2.5 for sure....that's about the same as the PMPS...I would have expected a little more of a food bump

19. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

@Chris & China
    I tried to edit thread title to include numbers but don't know how.

20. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

And he's a eater!

21. Chris & China (GA)

upload_2017-12-3_23-16-10.png

Go to Thread Tools....you'll see the option to Edit there

22. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Darnell & Sprocket (GA) Well-Known Member

She has alot of fancy feast so its more of under 3 or 4 carb.
    I labeled any food I sent her so she has some medium carb & gravy lovers if needed. Also has zero dry & evo 8% dry before they changed it if needed.
    Shes in good hands with you so I know I can go to bed since Sprocket good n food packed tonight. I will check when I get up in few hours though Heidi!!
    Myagi be a good boy!!

23. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Big hugs!!!! Sleep well.

And yes Darnell actually labeled the cans with carb # for me! His meals are always less than 3, often 0 or 1 and sometimes with just a little sprinkle of zero on it for happy cat.

24. Chris & China (GA)

Guess who taught her about labeling cans?......LOL

Just in case, if you ever need it, there's a 911 "prefix" you can use (you'll see it on the left side of the subject line when you "edit")....the 911 is for emergencies like dropping too low so you get eyes on your post as quickly as possible. Once someone is helping you, you remove the 911 by changing it to "no prefix".

25. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Yeah. But I knew that while it was urgent to me to know what to expect out wasn't actually a 911. Thank goodness! And thanks for teaching her.! Between dcin, Darnell and all of you, my beautiful boy is in great hands!!!

26. Chris & China (GA)

I was thinking more along the lines of later in the cycle tonight, but I'll be here for at least the +2.5 (and probably later)

That test will tell us a lot

27. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Gotcha but my money's on good boy not needing it (or at least my prayers).

So if he is same or only incrementally higher should I feed more of same or a higher carb or give snack of the 8 evo?

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  28. Stacy & Asia

Don't bet on (or trust) cats, it's a good way to lose money. o_O

29. Chris & China (GA)

If he's about the same, I'd probably give him a teaspoon or two of his regular low carb food just to encourage him to surf

30. Stacy & Asia

Did you get a +2.5?

31. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Just finished. 144. He's eating now. So I guess I'll test again in an hour. @Chris & China

32. Chris & China (GA)

I think you could test again at +4.....so far he's doing great!!

I can't stay on much longer though. I forgot my 88 year old mom starts PT again tomorrow so I have to be out earlier than usual.

There's usually always someone on later like @Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey , @Wendy&Neko , @Gill & George

33. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Every time I see Asia I just want to eat her up! Oh my gosh!!!!!

34. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

I got my 84 year old mom's rxs today and they sit in kitchen where I laid them to test my boy. It's her med night so I totally feel you! Thanks for being here rest and take care of mom tomorrow. Thanks again!

35. Stacy & Asia

Thanks, she's a seasoned professional at being cute! ;) Even people that are afraid of/don't like cats have had a change of heart over her.

36. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

I agree with Chris. Myagi should be just fine between now and +4 take a bit of a pokey break until then and we'll see where things are headed :)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  37. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Thanks for staying with us!

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  38. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Congratulations on shooting your lowest number so far! You've earned these:

[​IMG]

You may find that she just surfs. Often shooting lower number results in smaller changes. But I'll be watching to see what your +4 is. I'm in the same time zone as you are. I'll check back in 5-10 minutes.

39. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Lmao! I read in the stickies about the balls of steel! Thanks! Back with a number in a few.

40. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

+4 137. Obviously not really scary but dies mean I have to keep watching and testing. Need sleep. Can I give a little kibble 8% evo and did a plus 6 or 7?

41. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

That's looking like a nice, flat cycle. I can't swear to it, with so little past data, but I'd guess he's not going to do anything exciting tonight. I wouldn't give him kibble as it takes longer to get out of the system, but if you have any moist food that's 4-6%, you could give him that. A +6 or +7 is a great idea, if you can manage it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  42. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

@Stacy & Asia @Barbara & Uncle @Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey
    That was question. Ok to do that?

43. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Tricia beat me to it! I totally agree, I'd give moist food that's 4-6% instead of the dry option and test again in a couple (or 3) hours,
    You and Myagi are doing great!

44. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

He's only been on insulin since this past Friday. I have low and high but no mid carb. He's eaten without the kibble and walked away so I'll just test again. Lol.

45. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

One more thing. There is a very good possibility that Myagi will bounce tomorrow, because his body may not be used to these lower numbers. Don't get discouraged. It's perfectly normal. We don't have any way to know if he's ever been this low before, but even if he has, he may still bounce.

46. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Which explains the lack of data. Interesting that you were testing so long before starting insulin. I guess I need to go back and read your past posts. ;)

You can combine the two to make mid carb.

47. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

You can "make" your own mid carb by combining a bit of low carb with a bit of high carb

48. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Sorry, I wasn't sure what you mean. We don't want you to have to test Myagi any more than necessary tonight ;)

49. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

50. Stacy & Asia

I'm on the east coast, so I'm going to sleep now that Asia gave me the all clear. I would set an alarm and test in a few hours just to be safe. Hard to predict what can happen since he's so new to the game. You're doing great!

51. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

I'm too tired to have thought of that! Omg.

52. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

That's what we're here for! Brain fog is very common in the early days of the FD Dance.

53. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Thanks. Sweet dreams

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  54. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

I felt the same way when someone here told me that trick for the first time. It was probably Tricia!!! I was like "I USED to have a brain :banghead:"
    I know, there is a lot to learn and keep together in the beginning, but it does get easier :bighug:

55. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

If you do get another test, go ahead and post it, if you can. I may still be up. I'm quite a night owl. [​IMG]

56. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

I've had some hardships and don't have resources for treatment or vet care. Dcin and kind people have been helping. I changed his diet right away and got a holistic supplement to tide us over till insulin. Still waiting for zobaline. Doing the best I can. Won't give up on him.

57. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Your love and comittment to Myagi is obvious. Glad you found DCIN and this board.

58. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

That's great. I was going to ask about Zobaline when you mentioned Neuropathy. It made a huge difference for Cinco. It's obvious you are committed to helping Myagi, and we will do all we can to help! :bighug:

59. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Cool. Thank you. I will do. The alarm is set.

60. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

+7 237. I know in my heart I should be disappointed its not still blue. But I just want to sleep without worrying about my boy. goodnight till amps. Thanks everyone.

61. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Darnell & Sprocket (GA) Well-Known Member

He is starting to go back up. He likes rules so far. Good job.
    Now you know what i go through...it can suck. I was worrying about my girl last night n Myagi. I barely slept...lol.
    A sleepy day...lol

62. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

No, don't be disappointed. It's totally expected that he will bounce. Sleep well.

63. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Omg. Excited to sleep and realize have to get up in two to lift the dishes! argh! Hugs

64. Stacy & Asia

If you know he's on the rise like that and the number is already relatively high (like he's not surfing greens or in a low blue), and you need to get some sleep because of a late night, I would just leave out a little bit of food that you know won't last him too long and call it a night. Just note that the AMPS is possibly food influenced in your SS & condo. The taking up the food really matters when you get a low preshot and you are wondering if it's safe to shoot, if its food influenced, it's harder to make that determination with food in the mix.

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in if that's rotten advice, but that's what I've done for late nights when I knew it was hopeless that I would wake up to an alarm. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.