Tucker's potassium - Sat., it's only getting worse

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tuckers mom, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

[I posted to below, a new reply]

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers. I'm exhausted so will try to write this so it makes sense, although I don't really understand.

The vet said this acute episode was caused by a drop in his potassium level. Normal levels are 3.5-5.8, his is 3.3. He has to start potassium supplements. She said every cell in the body needs potassium which is why he crashed this morning. He will need monitoring going forward because apparently too much potassium is bad too.

He has lost another full half pound. This is now about 3 pounds lost since November.

He is getting an enima, he's got some stool, but he's not blocked.

He is to get miralax every day going forward.

He will be given some subq fluids today and should be coming home tonight.

Also have to start him on prednisone. We don't know what's causing the weight loss or the dymensia and circling but think it's a brain thingy so the pred should help with his IBD and hopefully make the brain thing better as well as add some weight on my skinny little man. He's now at 14 pounds 10 ounces. He is a large cat, part main coone, 18 pounds is a good healthy weight for him. Right now he's boney.

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Re: Tucker's potassium level dropped so he crashed

I am so glad that he is 'ok' but what a scare!

Jen

3. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

((((((Jenn and Tucker))))))))) You have no idea how glad I am to read this update. I hope the meds and pred help him.

Lots of love and (((hugs))) to both of you...

4. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Oh, thank goodness he is going to be OK!

5. tuckers mom

The vet just called. His condition is called Hypokalemia.

She gave him insulin, potassium, pred and the enima. He passed some stool, he ate some food.

He's there all day, I have to bring him back on Tuesday to monitor his potassium level. He'll be taking 1.5 pills BID of the potassium. She said I can split the pills and use cream cheese or pill pockets if I need to.

When I found him this morning, I thought he had already passed away. I've never seen him look so lifeless. I hope when I get him tonight he has some energy because this morning really scared me.

The vet said potassium loss happens with diabetes, I don't think I've ever seen anyone post about that here.

6. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Oh, Jenn..... ((((Tucker))))

7. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

oh my goodness. (((tucker))) (((jennifer)))

in ckd kitties, potassium loss can happen with polyuria; the potassium gets lost in the frequent urination. since diabetics has polyuria too, could that be how it happened for tucker?

meowzi gets potassium supplementation daily, BID.

be sure to give K to him with a meal; if he eats it on an empty stomach, it may hurt his tummy, and he may vomit.

8. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

I just posted on the other one, Jennifer...I'm so glad to see that Tucker is going to be ok. Thank God!! Our prayers have been answered.

9. tuckers mom

Thank you, I know nothing about this. He has a bad belly to start with, I certainly don't want to make it worse. Does Meowzi have to get rechecks a lot? My vet said recheck on Tuesday and then we'll see from there, maybe recheck every month depending on how he does this weekend through Tuesday.

10. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

Whew, Jennifer! Scary but a nice update. Hope this takes care of these issues for Tucker.

11. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Whew! Scary but something treatable! Low potassium is not a usual side effect from diabetes unless there is still uncontrolled PU, renal involvement or DKA, and then it becomes a huge concern. The muscles get so weak, they can't even hold their heads up. :-(

Supplements work well (with food, as mentioned) but frequent rechecks are needs to make sure that it is working, and that it isn't going too high (a whole other problem!)

Is Tucker on any meds that may be binding with the Potassium and leaching it from his body?

By the way, Pred should be given in the morning for optimal efficiency, and, of course, you know to watch the BGs carefully. It should ease the IBD and increase his appetite.

Fingers crossed and thanks for taking the time to update us!

12. Patticass & Tyler (GA)

Patticass & Tyler (GA) Member

I'm so glad he is going to be okay and they know how to treat it. How scary for you. (((Jennifer)))

13. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

So glad to read Tucker will be okay. Just wondering though......had you seen him in the past few days look like a stallion with the head tucked down to the chest? That is a good sign to watch for when it comes to low potassium.

14. Dale

Dale Member

So sorry to hear about this episode. Hope he's feeling better soon. Potassium supplementation may have to be an ongoing thing now. When Charles was in DKA a couple years ago I was told by the ER vet that I was in a catch 22 situation with him being diabetic: insulin lowers the potassium levels but he needs the insulin for the diabetes. Food can bring potassium levels up but at the time he wasn't eating much. I'm sure I told you about 22-year-old Batley who I adopted that had cancer, hyper-t, heart disease, and low potassium (but not diabetic, lol)...I used to have to give 3-4 scoops of Renal-K powder to keep his potassium levels up and to relieve the lowered head stance. He too had "collapsing" episodes where all of a sudden his level would just bottom out and he'd either go down on his side or be so uncoordinated he couldn't walk. I adjusted his potassium supplementation according to his blood levels. But for Batley it took 3-4 scoops a day. I used the powder cause Batley hated to be pilled. I feel for what you're going through. It scares ya when you see them just drop. But now you know what to look for.

BTW, just a thought...ask your vet if when Tucker has (hopefully never again) another episode if you can take the powdered form of potassium and mix it with water and shoot it rectally to get some quick results.

15. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Jennifer, I'm sorry to hear you had such a scary episode with Tucker! Sounds like you have a good vet though, thank heavens!

Also, thank you everyone for sharing your info about low potassium. It may help others whose kitties experience low potassium. Sounds very scary and with a diabetic most of us would think hypo if we found them incapacitated like that.

Glad Tucker's on the mend.

16. tuckers mom

Wow, thank you all for the information.

Tucker is on Lev, B12 (weekly) and Miralax but no other meds. He did get into the foster kittens Wellness Core dry food about 2 weeks ago and had a CP flare, but other than that his diabetes is pretty much the same as always.

He was fine last night. Well, other than the circling that he's been doing. His head was up high, his tail was up high, he jumped on the bed and I do have a tall bed.

This morning was a complete shock to me. There was no indication that anything was wrong.

I will need to learn the warning signs and will ask the vet about the powder to keep on hand.

17. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

((((((((((((((((((((JENN)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

How scary!! OMG I am so glad they caught what it was. I hope he will be on the mend soon.
    Sending cyber hugs..

18. Ruthe and Smokey (GA)

Ruthe and Smokey (GA) Member

Wow, what a scare! I am so glad that Tucker is doing better. This is an amazing board. I am always in awe of the information that is available for situations like this.

Hugs,
    Ruthe and Rugs

19. Donna and Flame

Donna and Flame Well-Known Member

Oh gosh Jenn.... I am just catching this now. How scary!! I'm so glad to hear he is feeling better and that it is something treatable.

Continued positive thoughts and healing vines coming for Tucker.

((((Jennifer & Tucker))))

20. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Jenn))) (((Tucker)))

Glad to hear they are helping him. What a frightening thing this morning.

21. Barb and Tori

Barb and Tori Well-Known Member

Oh wow ! What a terrible scare you have had. I'm so glad that you got him to the vet right away and they have been able to help Tucker. It sounds like they have a good handle on things. Will be praying that he continues to improve and that you can take him home soon.

22. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

Oh Jennifer, how scary! I am adding my thoughts and prayers to everyone else's for Tucker's complete recovery. I am sorry you guys had to go through this but glad he is getting the help he needs from the vet. (((hugs)))

23. tuckers mom

Thank you everyone.

I just spoke to Tucker's favorite vet tech, I'm so glad she's there today. She has him out of his cage and he's walking around the back with her. She said he's a little confused. His cage door was open and he was out of the cage but when he got to the door, he stopped, as if he thought he was still in his cage. She had to scoot him around that.

I'm hoping he behaves and doesn't start circling so that Aimee can keep him out for a while.

My husband went to visit him about 2 hours ago. Tucker was able to stand and take some steps. He made some strange meows, I heard them while DH was talking to me, but hopefully that will prove to be nothing.

24. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

I just commented on the other thread.. but may ask the vet if the powder K would be absorbed faster than a pill? or if it makes no difference. Cuddles was getting enough allergy pills, and poked with everything, that I used a powder, and mixed it into about half a jar of baby food every day for her. It was her little treat, just for her. :smile: She seemed to enjoy it! But yeah.. when they're low potassium, it's scary. My dad was even dangerously low one time.. not sure if anyone remembers me freaking out on here back then. We had just put him into one of those group homes because he couldn't be by himself. Well, his pacemaker defib started going off one night while he was there!!! Apparently it's like being kicked in the chest by a horse! It did this multiple times before they raced him to the ER. Found out later that he was way low on potassium, and it was affecting his muscles, as well as his heart! I think he was only like 1.something on the potassium reading. VERY scary, but something as simple as potassium can REALLY affect the body! We had a BBQ over there that day too, and he was very quiet, subdued, and even went to bed when it was still light outside.

I hope Tucker feels MUCH better with the potassium! Unfortunately you do have to keep a close eye on it since you can get too much of it too.

25. Karen & dB (GA)

Karen & dB (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow, how frightening. My mom just went through this, so I hope they will both be fine! Glad to hear Tucker's out of his cage and checking out the place. Please let us know when he is home!

26. tuckers mom

We're home now but Tucker is not good.

Once we got into the car he started to foam at the mouth and then vomitted. I turned back and they gave him a shot of selenium, it's supposed to stop vomitting for 24 hours. On the way back home again he was limp.

In the house I placed him on his bed and he fell off of it, then stumbled a bit, fell a few more times. Then he started to walk the house, he didn't seem to see anything, just kept walking. Walked right through the litterboxes, walked into the bathroom, the bedroom, just kept walking.

He got to the cat's room and walked into the corner where the cat skyscraper is and his head went into the piece of furniture and now he's lost. He doesn't seem to know how to reverse or get out, but at least it made him sit. So now he's sitting on a bed with his head in a climbing tree. He looks lifeless, there's nothing in his eyes. This is devistating. The vet said she'll call me later to check on him but just to give him his potassium again tonight with his insulin and some fluids.

27. Suzanne + Nemo (GA)

Suzanne + Nemo (GA) Member

Re: Tucker's potassium - PM update, he does not look good

I'm sorry to hear he's not doing well back home. I hope you can reconnect with your vet soon and see what's going on.

28. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Jennifer))) (((Tucker))) I hope things turn around quickly for Tucker....you and DH are wonderful beans, for sweet Tucker. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sherry & Zoe

29. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Oh, Jennifer, this is so sad. I will keep him in my prayers. (((Tucker))). Common, baby!

You will be in my thoughts tonight as I am sure you will be for many here. Know that we are all with you in spirit.

(((Jennifer and DH)))

30. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Jen, has Tucker had a complete cardio workup?

31. tuckers mom

Thank you everyone. Tucker's last cardio was over a year ago. He's had some ultra sounds of his heart to check for HCM because his heart is large however since adoption the size of his heart has not gotten any bigger.

He moved his head a few minutes after he passed gas. I guess that's good. I think instead of trying to pill him, the potassium pills are large and he needs 1.5 pills, I will crush them and make a slurry. Vet gave me permission earlier to do that. I'll do that now and hope, pray, that tomorrow will show some improvement.

32. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Jennifer I'm so sorry that Tucker is having such a bad time. I don't even know what to say except that you two will be in my thoughts and I will be hoping that the vet gets back to you with some kind of solution as to what you can do for him. You've stopped the vomiting and that's good as you don't want him to lose any more potassium. Were you told to give him any fluids or anything?

Poor Tucker.. :-|

Hang in there.
    (((Jennifer))) (((Tucker)))

33. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I echo Caryl's sympathies - and hope that he turns around.

I can tell you that my father has this issue - potassium leakage/loss and it's scary when it happens. - he ends up in the hospital to get it regulated and it seems somehow to coincide with him going into A-fib and needing a shock to the heart to get it beating correctly again.

I don't know if something similar is happening to Tucker, but it's worth asking about - if there is some correlation with the two and maybe he needs his heart checked.

34. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Lot and lots of get strong/stay strong thoughts for Tuckerman.

35. tuckers mom

I am supposed to give him subq fluids tonight. Just waiting for DH to get home, he can squeeze the bag for me so it goes faster.

I mashed the pills in some A/D and made a food slurry so hopefully he'll be feeling better. I had to feed Lilly Grace so didn't get to do his BG yet, but will do that now.

Tucker is sitting in his cat bed and his head is up, he looks tired but he's not limp at this point.

I'll probably bring Tucker back to the vet in the morning and have her check his heart. I'm assuming she would have been monitorig that today, she's a pretty decent vet, even came into work early to be with Tucker this morning. She's always gone over and above for him, I really should send her a card... sorry, rambling.

36. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

If you do, please do sign it with thanks from all of us too!!

37. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

((((((((((((((((((((((Jenn and Tucker))))))))))))))))))))))))

I wish I knew what to say... or had a magic wand...

Both of you are just so special to me...

38. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

((Jenn)) ((Tucker)) I missed your first post because I haven't been on here but am now reading this one. How scary for you - am so glad you were able to get Tucker to the vet and she was able to help.

Low potassium can be really difficult to see. I take two supps. a day and it drops slowly and isn't noticeable until it's almost too late. I hope that these supplements will do the job for your sweet boy and that he will be much better tomorrow and the days to come.

Sending many healing and comforting prayers your way -

Will be watching for your update.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

39. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Pearl had a time when her potassium got low. Sometimes when she acts odd, I will mix some in her food for a few days and she perks up. The time I discovered it, she leaped off my bed one night and went and sat in the corner. SHe was carrying her head low. I took her right in to the vet in the morning and that was the only thing that was off. Also, one time this happened to a co-worker and, my, she was hospitalized and awful one day and after getting the potassium she needed, back to normal. I'm so sorry Tucker is doing poorly. ((((((hugs))))))) I hope this perks him up.

40. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Maybe when he perks up he can get the tumil-K powder? That's what I use for Pearl. It mixes in to the food well. Maybe he needs too much right now.

41. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

The fluids have lots of good potassium in them..maybe Tucker has gotten them by now and has hopefully perked up a little bit? I'm betting the vet did check Tucker's heart this morning since the heart is directly affected by potassium deficiency. If lots of us know that..your vet is, I am SO sure, on top of this :)
    Not limp is a good sign but please keep us up to date

(((big hugs to you both)))

42. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

So sorry to hear about Tucker's troubles. Just wanted to send a cyber hug and well wishes for a speedy recovery. You will be in my thoughts tonight.

43. LindaLee & Napoleon

LindaLee & Napoleon Member

((((Jennifer)))) I'm so sorry to hear about Tucker. Sending mega prayers for Tucker.

Linda Lee

44. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Sending healing thoughts to Tucker!!!

45. tuckers mom

There was no improvement overnight. BGs stayed in the 270 range. I force fed some A/D last night but couldn't get too much into him.

I placed him on the bed with me and he laid there all night, on the blanket without moving. Now we're up and he's walking the house, getting stuck in corners. His walking and inability to comprehend what's around him reminds me of when Lucy(GA) lost her sight. But he can see, I think, but he keeps getting stuck.

As I wrote this he got stuck with his head in between the steps to his cedar house, DH pulled him out.

He will be going back to the vet as soon as they open this morning.

46. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Sending good thoughts and healing vines. I hope he comes out of this soon.

47. BobsMom

BobsMom Member

Please know that Tucker will be in my thoughts and prayers.

48. Melissa&Paul-Kyle

Melissa&Paul-Kyle Well-Known Member

Sending healing vibes your way...watching for futher updates.

I don't know how this compares, but my Grandad had an extreme potassium deficiency that was thought to be related to kidney failure/dialysis.

We found this out by my uncle finding him on the floor of his apartment one morning- he'd been there for two days with only a thin blanket over him apparently.

Once we got to the hospital and tests were run it showed the deficiency....he also had a deep infection that was not found for another 3 weeks- but during that time he was confused, actually "forgot" how to swallow so he had to be tube fed, didn't recognize any us, could barely walk and would turn over in bed and say things like, " I don't like walking on the ceiling."

Doctors said dementia, that white counts indicated cancer and also found that he'd been having mini strokes.

The short of it is, that by accident an infected sore was found deep inside him- a bed sore on his bum that would not heal- a pic ( cat scan or mri, can't remember) revealed a large sac of infection almost on his tailbone- like 3 inches inside him associated with the sore.

He was put on several BIG hitter antibiotics at once and within 24 hours he was sitting up in bed, asking for food AND able to swallow again, his potassium levels straightened out, white counts returned to just outside normal and he recognized all of us...this after 3 weeks of "lights on/nobody home"

It was like the infection was so powerful it sucked all the life from his body- brain function, processing nutirents, just everything.

The dementia dx was retracted, btw and they never found any cancer.

As I said, don't know how it relates but wanted to share it in case there was something that could help.

Thinking only positve thoughts for Tucker.... cat_pet_icon

49. tuckers mom

Thank you all for sharing your stories about the potassium and what it can do.

This is so hard to watch Tucker being gone and normally I put quality of life first and not quantity but in this case I am trying to let things be and see if Tucker can come out of this.

When I brought him to the clinic this morning I learned that they gave him his potassium before I picked him up last night, I assume he vomitted that up as we were pulling out of the lot. So maybe the only potassium he really got was what I gave him last night and then this morning. So, maybe he will perk up.

The vet tech on today, I don't know her well but she seems to be really smart and caring. She said she will watch him for ketones today and will start an IV if the doc approves it. Dr. L should be in soon, her hours start at 9AM but she knows Tucker is there and will probably come in sooner.

When she calls I'll ask her about his heart and what his white blood cell count was.

This morning's BG was 189 so I gave him his normal dose of insulin.

50. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Re: Tucker's potassium - Sat. AM - he's at the vet today

Continuing prayers for him, Jennifer .

(((Tucker)))

51. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Continuing prayers for Tucker and holding you both in my heart, Jennifer. ♥
    Will be looking for updates

52. tuckers mom

Things aren't good and it doesn't look like there's much time or much that I can do.

Dr. L consulted with a neuro vet at VCA Shoreline. Tucker's potassium level is normal now but his symptoms are worse. They feel that either he has a tumor in his brain or he threw a blood clot and had a stroke or seizure, I don't remember which.

I can get an MRI next week and if it's a brain tumor all I can do is continue with steroids. He's too old for the surgery, she doesn't think he'd survive that and the chemo that he would need after.

If it's a blood clot I guess we wait it out and see if it dissolves. I really can't think right now so I'm not even sure what she said about that.

He can't stay at the vet overnight because with his circling he'd get caught up in the IV lines so he'll come home at 1:30 and the vet will be calling me tonight and tomorrow. I'll give him fluids, the potassium and she said that it's important to continue the steroid.

I don't know what will happen this weekend, I don't have any answers or ideas or thoughts on this so even though I wish I could tell you all that I had a plan, I don't. I don't know what to do.

53. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Oh ((((Jennifer))))((((Tucker))))

I am so so sorry to hear this. There are never any words that are right or good enough. Poor Tucker. Poor you. All you can do now is what you already know. Bring him home and love him and hope that it's a clot that will dissolve. I'm crying for you because I know, we all know, the terrible feeling of helplessness that comes with news like this. You go to the vet for one thing and come back with something that is so much worse than you expected.
    I just don't know what to say other than love him, help him and we are here to help you.

Stay strong, Jenn. And, don't lose hope until you absolutely have to.

hugs~
    Caryl

ETA: would you consider a second opinion or are you confident with the one you got?

54. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

55. Patticass & Tyler (GA)

Patticass & Tyler (GA) Member

Jennifer, I'm so sorry. I'll be sending prayers for you this weekend.

56. Lisa and Spooky (GA)

Lisa and Spooky (GA) Member

I am so sorry that you and Tucker are going through this. Praying that you have the strength and courage needed for Tucker and that he pulls through all of this.

Lisa & Spooky (GA)

57. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Prayers.

58. tuckers mom

Thank you all, again.

I am confident with my vet, there are three vets at the practice and they not only consult with eachother but they often consult on VIN and with VCA Shoreline, my vet is a VCA vet so she has access to a lot of information.

My plan is to take Tucker home, keep him comfortable, hydrated, keep his meds up, feed him A/D as much as he will accept and to let him rest. My hope is it's a blood clot.

I've thought about the MRI, but if it is a tumor, he can't have surgery, he had major surgery in '05, biopsies and removal of a hairball from his belly. He was healthier then and barely survived that surgery. I don't think he could survive any surgery or chemo at this point. But if this was just a seizure or clot and there is any possibility that he could get better, I wil keep him comfortable for a time and see how he progresses.

I'm trying to write this between crying fits, so if it comes off strange, I'm sorry for that. Tucker is a part of my soul and the thought of losing him, it's just a lot to take in right now.

59. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Jennifer please no apologies...I am crying with you.
    Healing vines constantly being sent to Tucker
    Hugs to you

60. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

Jennifer, I sincerely doubt that any of this is related to a potassium level of 3.3. That is barely outside of the normal range--sometimes samples like that can be repeated and the next value will land inside the normal range. A level of 3.3 is not a critical value and should not cause such severe symptoms. I get the feeling that your vet isn't quite sure what's wrong and is grasping at a slightly abnormal lab result for the answer.

Sorry to say but with the continued weight loss, I would be highly suspicious of some form of cancer.

61. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

I'm so sorry this is going on. I will be thinking of you and Tucker. I know he is your heart kitty and that makes it so much more difficult to think clearly. I'll pray for guidance for you. (((((hugs))))))

62. Cheryl & Tux

Cheryl & Tux Member

((((Jennifer))))((((Tucker))))

I am so sorry that you and Tucker are going through this, Jennifer. My thoughts and prayers are with you both and I'm praying that Tucker pulls through this and still has a lot of quality time left with you.

Sending comforting hugs and healing prayers to you both.

63. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Crying here for you and your big orinch dude. ((((((((((((((((((((((JENN)))))))))))))))))))))))) Sending many many healing vibes. I really hope tucker rallys.

Sending cyber hugs too.

64. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Just sending prayers that Tucker can rally through this but.....if he can't........that he lets you know. So very hard the not knowing what is going on and the waiting and the watching........my heart truly goes out to you.

65. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I am sending prayers.

66. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

You and Tucker are in my thoughts, Jennifer. I know you and your vets are doing all you can, just know I and so many others are pulling for you.

67. Sunshine and BA

Sunshine and BA Member

Jennifer and Tucker:
    All kitties are special but a heart kitty is an exceptional special feline friend where spieces boundaries are crossed forming a bond of one. Sending comforting thoughts to Tucker and you as you travel this moment's journey.

Sending Hugs and Cyber Support
    Sunshine and BA

68. tuckers mom

Again, thank you everyone. I don't know what else to say other than thank you.

We're home now.

He has the following meds for the next few days.

Cypro for appetite
    Cerenia, two injections, 1 tonight, 1 tomorrow night to prevent vomitting
    potassium
    prednisone
    valium, to be given only if he wont rest and continues to circle
    sub q fluids
    a/d food

He'll also get his insulin. The vet will call us tonight and a couple of times tomorrow.

Now it's time to watch him, see if he can rally, I will try to hold out hope but it doesn't look good right now. My vet was crying and that really hit home, if she's crying and I'm crying, it just can't be good. She also said she'll come in on her day off, Monday, if I need her to. That tells me she doesn't expect him to rally, but I will give him the benefit of time and love and hope that I don't wait too long or move too quickly.

69. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

70. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

I have to bring this up in case your vet somehow missed it --

Could his low potassium be a symptom of Diabetic Ketoacidosis? (It's one of the usual symptoms) Does he have a fruity or nail-polish smell to his breath?

Alternately could this be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonketotic ... molar_coma Nonketotic hyperosmolar coma?

The way he's crashing sounds so much like DKA/nonketotic it's scary. And low potassium is a symptom of both.

It's possible that the low potassium is a symptom of something grave, rather than just a problem on its own. If you haven't already discussed this possibility I'd ask another vet or two in case your vet's unfamiliar with DKA.

And if it is DKA, or the other one, kitty needs to go to 24-hour vet right away -- that stuff kills in a few hours.

71. Tim & Chris

Tim & Chris Member

Sending tons of prayers your way. I'm so sorry Tucker is so ill. He's such a Regal Cat.

72. karen and splash (ga)

karen and splash (ga) Member

Wanted you to know that I've been thinking of you and Tucker since Carolynn alerted me yesterday....wish there was more I could do for both of you.

73. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Jennifer, thinking of you and Tucker today and checking for updates.

I wish I had something wise and helpful to say, but I don't. I am praying for a miracle for your sweet Tucker. Be with him, do what you can. We all know too well that place where you want to act "not to slow and not too fast"... praying Tucker will let you know if it is time.

:YMHUG:

74. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

Continuing prayers that he just needs to get his potassium back up, and will be fine again!

75. tuckers mom

Tucker just ate some food by himself. I let him off my lap for a while and he went into the kitchen and found the food that Angel and Sam didn't finish, almost a full half can of Fancy Feast was left and he ate it all.

He struggled though, his jaw made a grinding noise, like a loose tooth is stuck, I have to pry his mouth open and try to see it, but I'm not very good at doing that, may have to wait for DH to get home from work. But he ate, without me giving him any cypro, I'm happy about that. Will ask the vet if she gave his some, but I don't think she did.

He's not resting unless I hold him so I may give him the valium, I don't want to over tax his system.

Regarding ketones, he was tested at the vet and there is no fruity smell, so I don't think that's it, but when the doctor calls I'll see if she can access her e-mail at home and send her the link.

76. Sunshine and BA

Sunshine and BA Member

.......con't supportive thoughts, chin scratches and gentle head butts for Tucker and you, Jennifer.

Sunshine and BA

77. Melissa&Paul-Kyle

Melissa&Paul-Kyle Well-Known Member

sending prayers and love to you both.

Can you share some happy memories with Tucker, out loud in story form? It may help you to lighten and relax with him, so he can do what he needs to do- heal or...or fly....

I've had it both ways...my old Dog Sandy went to fly while I told her stories of our good times and younger years, stroking her fur and laying beside her on the floor, while my old gal kitteh DebraAnne, the night I let go of hope for her and told stories with her on my lap and other kittehs around, well- the next morning she ate on her own for the first time in 2 weeks. She is still with me.

Sometimes they just need us to be "normal" so they "know its okay" to go in the direction they need to.

((((HUGS)))))

Will be adding Tucker to our list of names tonight at dinner...52 paws crossed here for you both.

78. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

(((((((((((((((((((((( Jen ))))))))))))))))))))))

((((((((((((((((((((( Tucker ))))))))))))))))))))))

It was good to read he ate some FF on his own.
    sending prayers and good thoughts for Tucker..............for you and DH and the other furries too.

79. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

I was wondering about the same, Jennifer. I looked back at Meowzi's b/w and she had K readings of 3.3 for two tests, a month apart, and she didn't crash like Tucker has.

80. Wendy & Tiger

Wendy & Tiger Member

(((((Jenn))))) (((((Tucker)))))

Just popped on quickly looking for an update... I'm so sorry... Sending hugs and prayers... Many paws crossed here...

81. mikasmom

mikasmom New Member

I'm very sorry that this is happening to Tucker. I don't even know what to say-except you are a great mom to Tucker. I hope all goes well and the fact that he ate on his own is a very good sign.

Our kitty had a brain infection and would not stop moving and one vet said give her valium. We ended up taking her to a specialist and she said Never give her valium...I don't remember why-sorry. But I thought I'd mention that for what it's worth.

Sending you hugs and prayers.
    Tammy

82. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

I've seen the ensuing updates on Tucker (sending postive vibes) but wanted to comment on the potassium/diabetes issue -- more specifically, the potassium/insulin interaction.

My Charlie crashed from hypokalemia (low potassium) brought on by insulin usage. It's not common, but happens, mostly in cats who have low or borderline low potassium levels to begin with.

Charlie's crash occurred when I first started him on Lantus and caught us all by surprise. It required an immediate trip to the University E.R. where he was hospitalized in critical care for several days and received IV potassium supplementation and fluids. His potassium values were carefully monitored during this time as pushing the potassium too high is bad, too.

Charlie was a steroid-induced diabetic and we knew that his other conditions were causing him to have slightly low potassium levels, but his internal med specialist didn't want to supplement at the time. However, within days of starting Lantus, he crashed. Insulin causes potassium to move out of the bloodstream and into the cells. According to the docs, it's usually an insignificant amount and so they weren't worried. However, when I started Charlie on insulin, the extra potassium that the insulin caused to move out of the bloodstream was just enough to cause a crash. In his case, the potassium levels in his blood dropped enough that it WAS a problem.

He recovered and ultimately went OTJ after the steroid (prednisolone) was removed. A year later he went on budesnoide which again caused him to become actively diabetic. Given the history, we ran full bloodwork and carefully evaluated this potassium levels before restarting Lantus. Same for the third time he went on the juice. Fortunately, there were no more hypokalemic crashes.

The docs all said it was a rare event. I don't have the records in front of me, but I believe his K+ value was in the 3.1 to 3.3 range before starting insulin and he was acting and feeling fine. Even though it was slightly below the low end of normal, it wasn't low enough to cause a problem. The insulin drove it down into the upper 2's, and that's when the crash occurred.

As others have said, I'd be really surprised if a K+ level of 3.3 caused the crash. However, I'd never even heard of the possibility of insulin lowering potassium levels before this happened to Charlie, so wanted to share the info.

83. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Continued good thoughts for you and tucker. I hope that everything works out for his greatest good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.