? Tyler & M : Concerns. Weight/BG numbers

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by PussCatPrince - GA, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

That was the week that was.
    Poomageddon
    9th Mar - 17th Mar
    First. All loves and hugs from me & Ty to Heidi, even though I know she already knows this. Tiz also me being sneakies in the hope of getting her out from inside Myagi's closet or under the bed with the carpet fluff, to come & keep company with me/us. We knows you're hurting very badly Heidi but I /we miss you so.

Myagi was and is Ty's best mate & I do feel the latest poomageddon the last few days is Ty's feline form of "dirty protest" at a sometimes very unfair world.

So. Ages since this lazy mare updated what with one thing and another. Ty is fine enough . Eating, taking his meds easily and.........pooping. As per the SS, mostly soft, part formed logpats <--- that is my new word for his offerings - of the type he can tread or sit in before wobbling off leaving a trail behind him.
    To be fair some days are quite good. This morning though , not so good. A choice of 3 trays and the shower tray and he chooses the bedroom carpet. I've reintroduced the SEB & now the boulardii on the strength he is getting the B12 shots.

Here is my current puzzle over Tylers BG numbers. Some of you may have some thoughts , ideas, knowledge.
    Ty's diet at the moment remains the Royal Canin Renal pouches = 16/21 carbs , plus the Hills i/d canned = 23 carbs. This is because of the poop issue. I did try a little raw venison which seem to give the quits so I am now wary of what foods might help and which foods will irritate his thickened bowel ,although remain concerned for the low quality protein content ( re muscle wastage). May add in cooked egg white carefully.

Given the horrible high carbs of the diet, why is it then that his BG numbers look so reasonable on paper. He hit green at AMPS this morning with no change to dose or diet at all.

Thanks

Myagi (GA) and Heidi likes this.
  2. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I'd be grateful for the good numbers. As I'm learning with Silver they have a mind of their own! Heidi is in the Facebook group and you could message her there? She might be on fb more often. Just a thought.

3. PussCatPrince - GA

I know that a lot of folk would be thankful to see such numbers through little to no effort but TBH I am a little bit concerned as nodules were found on Ty's pancreas and liver.

With the high carb diet I would expect to be upping his insulin dose to combat that, not skipping a dose for fear of a hypoglycemic episode. It was this that brought him to ER last time with a dx of pancreatitis and the new knowledge of enlarged pancreas/liver + nodules.

This morning at AMPS he'd had no food for a good 10/12 hours . Today he is being fed that high carb food as has been the case but so far numbers have remained in blue.
    Perversely , I would almost wish to see a high BG number to indicate that high carbs+diabetes = insulin shot.

I am in touch with Heidi. I am trying to winkle her out into our group light.

Myagi (GA) and Heidi and Juliet like this.
  4. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I miss Heidi too, I think she will come back when she is ready. :bighug:

My thoughts would be Ty is just feeling a bit better? You have slightly better poos, walking up 15 steps, b12 injection, and they all seem to line up with the string of prettier numbers, on less insulin than before the ER incident. This is what I'm hoping anyway. It seems like he is doing better now than he was then, and I would not be alarmed just because a lower number or two. It could mean good things too. :)

As far as the carbs go, in some way it doesn't make sense, in another way it does. Firstly, all these wet food "high carb" foods are not nearly as high carb as most dry foods. So by that comparison, it's still lower-ish carbs. Also, if he was feeling poorly before and eating a low carb diet, perhaps his numbers were higher than they would have been if he weren't feeling bad/in pain (even thought they weren't that high). The low number crash before the ER was likely due to his appetite being off? Maybe he is feeling a bit better and the diabetic things are sorting a bit, higher carb food and all? When we got pain meds for Asia and started treating the pancreatitis, I know her numbers quickly followed suit. I sure hope this is so with Ty. :bighug:

5. PussCatPrince - GA

Now I am trying not to be concerned.

We weighed him today and he's lost weight despite eating well. You can see it in him anyway. Very bony around the hips & spine now.

6. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Silver is the same. He will gain back once he is regulated. They can't use the food for fuel when unregulated. Doesn't matter how much they eat they are hungry and lose weight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.