911 Tylosin for diabetic cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rebeccarn, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebeccarn

Rebeccarn New Member

My little Lucky Bell was diagnoses with diabetes in August 2014. She was 8y old. She was in DKA and spent 10 days in kitty ICU. We lived in CA at the time. Her critical care doctor was awesome - saved her life. She put her on Tylosin twice a day and explained that Lucky needed this to prevent liver trouble, (I believe it was to manage the hyperlipidosis that can appear in diabetic cats). Lucky was not obese; she was barely six pounds when I took her to ER. She gained weight and is just over 10 pounds now!!
    My problem is that we moved to NC a year ago. Her vet had been refilling the Tylosin, but 2 weeks ago she said Lucky didn't need it. I was skeptical but went along with decision. Lucky has been vomiting, more than the usual hairball spit up, the last 36h. She is not eating her treats either.
    When I look up Tylosin I can't find anything about it's use for diabetic cats. The vet only knows about it as an antibiotic for colitis and diarrhea in cats. Since Lucky hasn't had diarrhea I guess the vet thinks she doesn't need it. I think she is sick because she stopped the Tylosin.
    Does anyone have experience with Tylosin and feline diabetes? Her original critical care vet in CA cut it back to once a day but stressed she would need to take this medicine the rest of her life. I need some references or feedback from anyone who is familiar with my issue.
    Thank you for helping me find some information.

2. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

That's an antibiotic right, for the runs..?

I'm a little ticked off, what was your baby diagnosed with exactly..? That's not the best med... not for long term.

What kinda of liver trouble..?

Did your vet tell you, WHAT your baby was diagnosed with..? I'm sorry, I have idiot vet issues. :confused:

But NO, Tylosin should ONLY effect her if her lymphatic system and kidney system is showing symptoms - they're NOT according to your post - can you ask your vet to give your baby a kidney test? There's a few we can recommend but honestly... no, your cat, I'd want more tests.

I understand the previous vet.. your baby was under weight, had issues.. but not, anymore.

The throwing up, etc. could be a pancreatitis flare - among other things. What's her insulin and schedule..?

I don't know, something about this just makes me wanna scream or pummel some pillows. Something doesn't seem right - I'm sorry, I'm a but of an idiot/wild card. Can you tell us more about your baby and the diagnosis...? Something isn't right.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Sorry Lucky is having problems. I don’t know much about Tylosin, and I’ve not heard of it’s use the way your vet described, though of course it’s possible. If she is throwing up, it may be pancreatitis or something else, but it sounds like she needs to see a vet. Ask about Cerenia and ondansetron for nausea as well as an appetite stimulant. If a cat doesn’t get enough calories she can develop hepaticlipidosis. Could your new vet talk to the old vet and see if there’s something she’s missing about the tylosin?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I gave Tylosin to Teasel in July when he was ill and had diarrhea. He had been on metronidazole but the vet decided to try Tylosin because its side effect profile is gentler. It seemed to help and didn't have any adverse effect on his BG. He wasn't on it long though. Could it be possible that your kitty has IBD and needs a diet adjustment to single protein food or raw food instead of being on Tylosin long term?

Sharon14 likes this.
  5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Tylosin is an antibiotic typically used to treat bacterial infections in farm animals, but veterinarians often use it to treat certain types of chronic diarrhea in cats and dogs. The powder form is not FDA approved for use in companion animals, but it is common practice for veterinarians to prescribe this medication.
    • Used For: Chronic diarrhea and Mycoplasmic infections

Above from
    https://www.petmd.com/pet-medication/tylosin

I found nothing about using it for liver problems unless for a Mycoplasmic infection that could affect the liver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.