Ultra new to this. Diagnosed 9/21/10. Please read.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by underdawg, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. underdawg

underdawg Member

Last night I tried to get Bo's first BG reading. Poor thing! I tried so many times with no luck. He must have had 8-10 holes with no blood coming out. I just quit. He was getting so restless while we were trying that. Then when we went ahead with the shot, he was really becoming irritated with us. No bites or scratches though. I don't think he is capable of that. So any tips on getting the sample will be great! I used a lancet device that came with the AccuCheck Aviva and also one that I bought earlier called the One Touch Delica.

This morning, I got the BG sample the first time! It was 375. He had his shot last night about 7:50. I got his BG test done about 5:45 this morning and gave his shot immediately after. PLEASE tell me that is okay since his BG was 375. If I had not gotten a BG reading, I was going to wait to give the shot until about 7:15. But since it was 375, we went ahead with the shot. I don't know if I will ever know the right thing to do so any assistance will be fantastic! When I go back to work, he will have to have his shot around 6 in the morning if he is to have one that day. HOW do people do this if they have jobs?

It is now 7:53 am. He seems okay and even started to chase one of the girls but now I am doubting whether I should have given him a shot. Please let me know if I screwed up or not. Thanks

2. judy and squamee(GA)

judy and squamee(GA) Well-Known Member

HI. I am no expert---you'll have to wait for others, but I don't think you did anything terrible. It seems like you gave the shot at about +10. It is very difficult when you are working to keep on schedule, and we do the best we can. If you are worried about too much insulin, give some extra food. COngratulations on the home testing!!! That is super important. What insulin are you using? Good luck, and have a good day!

3. underdawg

underdawg Member

Thanks so much for responding. You don't know how much better I feel just with your words. I tried to do another BG test but was unsuccessful again after about 4 tries so I stopped. I don't want to get him where he doesn't want to come around me. He still has a little breakfast left so he has been nibbling. I am getting my notes ready to fax to the vet so hopefully I will have that soon.

I don't know if I will ever learn what I am supposed to do.

4. judy and squamee(GA)

judy and squamee(GA) Well-Known Member

It is all very overwhelming in the beginning, but believe me, you will be suprised how much you learn! Everyone starts from overwhelmed and then moves on. For us to be most helpful to you, more info would be good. I looked at your other posts and see you are on Lantus, but it would be good if you could set up a signature which includes that, also if you could get a spreadsheet going. That way people have to info they need to be most helpful to you. I found the computer stuff also very overwhelming (I am still no expert), but you can get lots of support to do that (Tech support, found on the Board Index). Also, any insulin advice is best found in the Lantus ISG (Insulin Support Group) also found on the Board index.
    If you are having trouble testing, look at the FAQ---it included many links to sites that give testing tips, also videos on how to do it. Among other things warming the ear in advance is good.

5. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Are you using Lantus, 3U twice per day?

I searched for posts from you and I saw that.

I'm no expert, but I think you could be fine for right now. Lantus takes a little time to build up in the system. But, I'd really reconsider that dose and start at 1 unit, twice per day. Forgive me if I'm wrong on what dose you gave today. Was it 3 units?

Great job hometesting. That's so important, and you are going to be an old pro at this in no time. It's overwhelming now, but it gets easier.

Can you confirm the dose? Also, what type of food is your cat eating.

Lastly, you may want to edit your original post and remove the candle. For some of us old-timers the candle represents that someone's kitty has passed away. Maybe use the question mark instead.

6. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

I just wanted to add warming the ear really helps in the beginning. Are you trying that before poking for the test? It may be, if you are, you just need to hold that warm pack on the ear another count of 10 or so. Good job on getting a test!

7. underdawg

underdawg Member

Thanks to all of you for responding. This board is really the greatest resource!

Yes, the dose is 3 units twice a day. We are supposed to go back to the vet tomorrow but I am going to fax him my notes that I have made over the weekend and try to get some responses today.

Thanks for the note about the candle. I never found a list of what they are. I figured out the 911 icon quickly but the others.... I used the candle which I thought was used when actually someone was up at all hours of the night because it was bright and moving. I will use the question mark from now on.

Prior to this disgnosis, Bo and the two sisters were on CD because his brother had to be due to urinary tract problems. Now that Bo has been put on MD which is high protein, low cards, his food has been mixed about 50-50 so he can make the transition to the new food. He has no problem eating the MD.I have dry and wet. I just have to keep Andy out of Bo's bowl. Apparently everyone wants to eat out of Bo's bowl. It does not matter what the girls eat but Andy has to stay on CD because of his major urinary issues.

I will update the signature today so that will help. I looked at the spreadsheet last night. It looked overwhelming but when I read about it, it may not be as bad as I thought. The only reading I have right now is the 375 from this morning. I will try to set up the spreadsheet today as well. Another overwhelming part was when I read the Lantus posts.... Ugh! Then I got a list of the terms so now I hope that will be easier.

Thanks!

8. underdawg

underdawg Member

Most of the time he has really warm ears. I have not used anything to warm them up other than just rubbing them.

9. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Don't worry about using the candle, I just wanted you to know.
    I'm not sure what all the icons mean, I believe the three candles and rainbow signify to most of us that a cat has crossed. 911 is obvious.

If you want to discuss food at some point, please let us know. You'll find that most of us do not feed the prescription food, I buy food that I can get at the grocery or even Walmart.

10. Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor

Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the sugardance :)

Well done for hometesting, that's an excellent start! Especially well done for trying so hard - many of us have experienced the frustration of having to poke several times before getting a droplet, don't fert, soon you will be breezing through the pokes.

With our cat Karre, we never rubbed or otherwise warmed his ears - instead, we got a small torch, shined the light through his ear, saw exactly where the "sweet spot" is, and memorized that. Unless it's freezing outside (or inside of course), we never found there needed to be extra warmth on the ear - also, not using warming-techniques makes the whole procedure faster and less hassle, so it can be a really good thing. Still, nothing wrong with warming techniques if you prefer to use them, and Karen is right that for many, they make a huge difference. You'll find out which way is best for you soon - stay confident ok? :)

There are a number of pictures you could look at that show you where that little blood vessel runs, but it's also useful to know specifically for your own kitty. Here are two links for you to look at:

Here is a photo of the "Sweet Spot"

Here is a video on how to do a BG Test

Also, I was wondering whether you've read the "stickies" at the top of the page? I notice that you haven't yet confirmed if it's Lantus insulin you're using? Here, we tend to "start low and go slow" in terms of dosing, because it helps get a clear picture of how your kitty will respond in a safe way. There are a number of protocols to determine dosing - again, once you've had a chance to read the "stickies", you'll see what these are, and it will help you understand why many here would advise you to start at 1u instead of 3u. Take the time to read them, alright? And be sure to come back with any questions about what you read :)

Well done for finding this place! Keep up the good work!

Jane

11. RuthV

RuthV Member

Congrats - you, for a newbie, are way ahead of me. I have yet to home test - it took me forever to realize that I need a lancet 'applicator', then the one I bought didn't work too well.

I'm trying to get Joey used to a grooming-followed-by-treat session, and he is not even letting me touch his ears for more than a second. If I only could grow that 3rd arm with hand....plus, dh is NOT at all helpful. My goal is to incorporate a blood test somewhere in the grooming session.

You are doing fine.

btw, I switched Joey to all wet food and he doesn't miss the dry at all.
    RuthV
    Lantus - 2 units twice a day - 8 am and pm.

12. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Welcome to the FDMB family and congrats on the hometesting. It does get easier with practice. Some other tips to try, that I have found useful. While at present I don't have a current sugar kitty I do have one on steroids so I'm still doing the ear pokeys just to make sure my civie remains a civie. Now Onyx has black ears which makes finding the right spot difficult, what I do is I use the lancing device I just use it without the cap on, this way I can see where I'm aiming but don't run the risk of pulling my poke.

Some kitty ears bleed easier than others and at least with Onyx his right ear never fails to give me blood while his left ear I could turn into a pin cushion and still get nothing. You may have to play around with which ear works better than the other. Also make sure you have something stable behind the ear when you poke, I don't use the rice sock to warm Onyx's ear but I do use it to give me something firm to poke into, besides my finger. You can also use a little bit of neosporin or vaselin on the ear to help the blood bead up.

And well if all else fails you can try a paw pad stick, although if you do use the paw pad make sure to clean it well and keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get infection, since kitties walk in some pretty nasty stuff on a daily bases.

But sounds like you are doing great for just starting out...It will get easier, we promise.

Mel

13. underdawg

underdawg Member

All good advice! Thanks! This has been the most helpful group! I never used this type of thing before. I remember when my brother was diagnosed in 2007 with thyroid cancer (the worst one of the 4 you could get), my sister found a group devoted to that and the advice and tips she got from there were invaluable to someone with a trach. It made his last few months more bearable.

I saw on YouTube where someone was not using the Lancet device but did not think i needed to start that way. But with all my misses, that may be what i need to do. I have a tiny flashlight that can be used to warm up the ears.

All my cats are tuxedo cats - black and white. Bo has a Sylvester face. Like MommaofMuse's cat, his ears are black. That is definitely a problem with the ear testing. I do not want to use paw pads testing because Bo's brother, Andy, had MRSA in his bladder last year when he had his urinary tract problems. He took some very strong pills that almost killed him. I had to stop the pills because of that. Even now, I don't know if the pills got rid of the MRSA or if it is just laying dormant for now. So that is why I have to learn how to do the ears. I don't want to have Bo get MRSA infections in his feet.

I am lucky in a way because Bo is very patient with us and seems to trust that what we do to him is for his own good. But he did get tired of my poking his ears last night and tried to squirm away. He probably did not to have pierced ears. So far, he has been a great patient. Now as for the others, only his sister, Georgie, would be open to any treatment and that would be limited.

14. Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor

It sounds as though you've got a very understanding kitty - that's wonderful :) I'm glad you're counting yourself lucky. I bet your cat is too! FWIW, when we started hometesting, the first week of poking was a bit of a disaster marathon, but after that somehow it just worked. Shining through the ear (our tomcat Karre is all black, so I know what you mean about the black fur making it super-tricky) to actually *see* where the blood vessel runs was invaluable. Try it, you'll see. Literally ;-)

Jane

15. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

If he gets really squirmy you can also try the kitty burrito method, just drop a large towel over Bo and wrap him up like a kitty burrito. This helps on two folds, one it keeps you safe from the claws even the best kitty will still use you for a launching pad..lol. And most cats feel safer and more secure when wrapped up tight, thus they will sit longer for us bumbling humans. Cats are also very smarth they are mental creatures and quickly figure out what is good for them. We suggest giving treats when testing even if we don't get blood on the first couple of attempts, so they associate sitting for the pokeys with something yummy. Now if I forget to test Onyx he comes and reminds me. He will wander into the kitchen, jump up on the counter and stare at the cupboard where his pills and testing supplies are kept, if that doesn't get my attention then he will meow and paw at the cupboard. Then immediately after he is done he starts nuzzling my hand looking for his treat, he is a sucker for boiled chicken breast. Up until he got sick with allergies I would have never dreamed of him being such a good patient, he isn't exactly a snuggly kitty except for my husband, but he quickly realized that if momma pokes his ear and gives him a pill that he doesn't itch so he gets it done and over with as quickly as possible.

After having a sugar kitty I'm just a little paranoid about my other 10 civies so periodically they all get their ears poked and even my most feral twins will allow it when we wrap them up like a little kitty burrito, and will even occassionally purr through the whole thing. Just hang in there your doing great.

Mel

16. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

gingerand((calliope))(GA) Member

Well, look at you with your first test under your belt and your info in your signature!!! WELL DONE!!! I'm so excited for you and Bo! PROGRESS!!

Now, just keep on keeping on and I promise this will all become so much easier and rather habitual like brushing your teeth every morning and night. It seems like a lot to learn at first, but once you get it down, it will not be overwhelming like it appears to be now. You will pick up on the terminology quickly.

Read the lantus stickies again because the more you read them, the more it sinks in. Once you are testing regularly, you can post daily on the lantus forum for suggestions and comments, which you will find so helpful. You're in the right place being here.

Your next chore is to get the spreadsheet set up. Work on that since I recall that you are off work this week, right? It's a good time to get all your "housekeeping" chores taken care of, so you'll be good to go when you return to work.

Figuring out your shooting and testing schedule around work will come. Just worry about this week and learning to test regularly for now. Don't panic over shooting times for the work week. We just have to work around those things. Most of the folks here have jobs and there are more tricks to that, too, when you need help. Being able to test before shooting and starting to spot check is the most important factor right now. Lantus builds up in the "shed" as we call it and it takes some time to do that, usually, so getting into regularly testing by the time that happens is important. It may be that the dose needs to change or it may be that it's fine. Testing is what will give you the info on that and you can do that at home and then fax your fancy schmantzy spreadsheet to your vet, who will marvel at your organization and information!

I'm going to reference your first thread here just in case someone would like to read the history of your posts. If you like you can even edit the first post in this thread and add this link to it, though your signature now gives a lot of the info people will want.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=25944

Now, about that candle. When I saw it, my heart just about came out of my chest. I thought something had happened to Bo. If you can, go to edit on the top right of your very first post. Click on it and then you'll see those icons. Click on the circle next to "none" and that will remove the candle, so that people don't think something happened to Bo. If you like, you can click on the circle next to the question mark icon for questions.

You have done so well! Just keep trying to test. Remember that some kitties' ears have to "learn" to bleed and that happens with more test attempts. I used the lancet device that came with the aviva to test. I took the cap off because I felt I could pick the spot better without it on and I think it was more comfortable for Calliope. You can play around with what's most comfortable to you. I had to have the setting on pretty deep too. Calliope had leather ears!

I'm so happy for your first test!!

17. Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor

Hello again!

In case you've not seen these on the TECH forum, here's the info on how to go ahead and set up a profile and a spreadsheet (ss); It will help people here give you informed advice on your particular situation, ok? Have a look at how to do it:

How To Create Your Spreadsheet

How To Create And Publish Your Profile

Jane

ETA Ginger!! How lovely to see you!

18. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

19. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

Just dashing off a quick note. Heat was really important for getting blood out of my first diabetic, Danny. I had not been heating with a sock that was warm enough (needed to be almost uncomfortably hot) or long enough. I poked at least a hundred times with nothing. I was wondering if my cat was some sort of mutant with no blood in his ears. :eek: Then a kind member of the board met with me, showed me her technique and in ten minutes I was good to go. Another tip is sort of pulsing your fingers on the ear around the poke-hole, which helps milk the blood drop out.

By the way, what size lancets are you using? You might need one a bit larger to start with.

here is Danny's hometesting slideshow. You can indeed poke all around the top of the ear, not just the "sweet spot", and spreading out the poke sites will help keep your cat's ears from being sore. Just look where the blood vessel runs around the ear top. here is a big photo with ear blood vessel layout.

20. RuthV

RuthV Member

21. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

The Coolification web site works: http://fdmbcoolification.blogspot.com/ Just fill in the boxes and click on the Gimme Code button at the end to get the HTML code. Then copy the HTML code and paste it in the appropriate section of the Google document (see profile instruction sticky for where).

OR

Use this profile suggestion template in a Google document: http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/p ... php?8,1888 Then just follow the profile instruction stickies to publish your document, get the correct URL to share with others, and how to put the URL in your signature.

22. underdawg

underdawg Member

Thanks to squeem3 for the alternate method of creating a profile since what I experienced with google did not match the original instructions. But then Google had problems so i put the profile information in Word waiting for another chance to do the profile in the correct place. I guess if I need to, i can attach the Word document. I will be working on getting the spreadsheet done. Thanks!

23. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

More progress!! I just noticed the picture of Bo! What a SWEET face! I love tuxedo kitties. I have one myself.

24. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

Love the tuxedos :cool: Yes, those black ears can make it a pain in the butt to see the blood drop. If my Donovan isn't reclining in a well-lit place, I grab a small flashlight and hold it in my mouth while poking. Initially I used a microwave heating pad to warm up his ear, but now I just rub it between my fingers. I also only poke his right ear. The initial position I used to test him made it very awkward to poke his left ear. Nowadays I just reach over to wherever his Royal Highness is snoozing and poke away.

Let us know where you're located if you haven't already. There may be someone nearby who can help you.

MJ&Donovan

25. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

Calliope had black on her ears, too. What a challenge. I just poked until I saw blood. The vaseline helped the blood bead up, which was wonderful.

26. squeem3

Google seems to be slow today. Guess it's having too much fun celebrating it's 12th birthday [​IMG] :lol: Try it again tomorrow or whenever you get a chance. No big rush to get a profile (and spreadsheet) done and viewable to this board :smile:

The profile instruction sticky may need to be rewritten. Google has changed some things in the documents.

27. SaraJaye

SaraJaye Member

First thing, unless I missed it, you should get your kitty on low-carb wet food. My cat who is also large like yours (he was 18 + lbs for most of his life), was 600+ at diagnosis. We switched to ultra low-carb food (Merrick - Cowboy Cookout and Grammie's Pot Pie) and were able to phase down the lantus based on his daily curves. And it took me days to figure out a way to get blood correctly! He was only on insulin for a few weeks and now his BG is awesome. So please hang in there and stay focused on lots of tests throughout the day so as to identify his peak... Good luck, all will be well...

28. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and handsome Bo.

I use the multiclix device that came with the Aviva, with the middle setting. If you're having trouble using the outside of the ear, you can try the inside (I've found with my kitty it's easier to see on the inside, but I also approach him from the side instead of head on).

Lantus seems to be typically started at 1.0 units twice a day so it's especially good that you'll be testing Bo's blood sugar at home.

29. underdawg

underdawg Member

Thanks for all the responses! Bo really is a sweetheart! He took off running this morning when it was time for a shot. At his height and length, he can cover some distance in just a couple of steps! He was gone!

I finally got Google to cooperate and have Bo's spreadsheet and profile available in my signature now. I had to write up the profile on a WORD doc and then put on Google since I could not complete the instructions as is. I have the same information in the same order as the one I was supposed to use.

We went to the vet yesterday and his BG was 287! Progress. But he had gained 1/2 pound. I think I have lost at least 5 in the past few days. We will all be on a wet diet now. All were eating c/d but now everybody wants m/d! Andy has to be on c/d because of his urinary problems but the girls can eat either. Lots of joys with 4 kitties but many challenges too! Thanks for your help!

30. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

Glad to hear it!! You're going to do just fine once you practice.

I may have missed it, but why does Bo have to be on Hill's MD wet? I ask because the carbs in the MD are higher than some of the other cheaper options, so I was wondering about it.

31. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

just so you know. a wet diet (canned) is very good for a cat that is prone to blockage or urinary problems. been there done that and since the switch, none of my cats (6 now +2 fosters) have had any urinary problems. you can also get canned food that costs a lot less than th eMD from the vet. check out janet and binky's food chart.
    special kitty
    fancy feat
    nine lives
    friskies on
    wellness ect. as long as they are the pate kind and less than 10 grams carb. then all cats can eat same food and be healthier
    just a thought here for you

32. squeem3

Great :thumbup

Most of Part C of the profile instruction sticky doesn't apply if you use the generic profile suggestion template link I provided above. The very last part of Part C (#5 click on "share" on upper right. then click on "publish as a web page"......) is the only one that applies.

Actually, C/D isn't the best food for urinary problems. The key for most cats with urinary problems is to get more water into the diet, ie eating more canned food, and it doesn't have to be prescription junk. Dr. Lisa's web site has info on diet and how it can cause all sorts of health problems like diabetes and urinary problems, http://www.catinfo.org

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.