Unbelievable!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cherie Hogan, Jan 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cherie Hogan

Cherie Hogan Member

Hello all!!!
    This may be a bit premature but Riley has been in green numbers for one whole day now and I am celebrating. Looking at my notes, I never thought we'd get there. I want to thank all for your help and advice. I know Riley isn't there yet but he's on his way.

My question is if he continues in green do I hold the dose at 2 units for 3 days before I attempt a .25 reduction or should the reduction be .50? I am clear that should a reduction not work I then go back up to the next best number. Since January 22, when I took a .50 reduction, Riley continued to come down except twice and both times I increased a small amount to stabilize his numbers and he has responded by continuing to come down.

Gee, I sound like a genius, but I am just reacting to what I see and making small adjustments to keep him trending down but who knows if he'll stay in low numbers.

I just need a little advice on what you all would do. I have read the stickies but would feel better if I could get a better handle on how to proceed if he stays green.

Thanks again and again for your help.

Ozzy Pawzbourne likes this.
  2. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

I don't have any advice (new to Lantus and still learning) but YAY for all green!!!!

3. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Congratulations. What was his AMPS this morning? I remember when Doodles finally "snapped" as we call it, went all green and started earning reductions. Just a few observations though.

There's been a too many dose changes the 8 days to really tell where the depot is (2.75, skips, 1.75, 2.5, 2u, 2.25) . Because of all the dose changes it's really hard what dose is good for him. You'll need to get a few more tests in to see what he's doing and I would've gotten another test or two in last night with that 88 @ +3. There's just not enough data for you to trust the cat to surf yet.

Think holding the 2 units for now is OK because there is likely some depot from the higher doses influencing his numbers. If you can be consistent with the dosing for at least the next 3 days we might have a better idea. The other way kitties earn reductions under TR is by staying green for 7 days. But you're following SLGS so when he goes under 90 he earns a .25 reduction.

4. Cherie Hogan

Cherie Hogan Member

Thank you. I had a hard time believing that more and more insulin would help Riley because of his behavior but these wonderful people have helped me to understand what has been going on with Riley from the beginning. I was in shock and discouraged so much that even though I would read the stickies it was just too much for me to comprehend. Their patience and snippets of information helped me to absorb what I was seeing and feeling and I don't know what would have happened without the folks on this website.

5. Cherie Hogan

Cherie Hogan Member

Thanks so much. I will hold the dose. I'm sorry I couldn't get another test in last night. I had a mild case of food poisoning and was quite ill. That and Riley has developed a bad habit of keeping us up all night by mewing until one of us gets out of bed. He never did this before and sleeps peacefully when we are up which he is doing now. Not fair!! My husband says he is spoiled from us carrying him around and being with him 24/7 and now he wants the attention all the time. Lol

6. Cherie Hogan

Cherie Hogan Member

Hi
    He is actually down another 3 points from an hour and a half ago. First test 92, now 89. So, I will shoot him at 2 units, correct?

7. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

only shoot if you can monitor closely. Meowing in the middle of the night could've meant he went to low and needed food. It's dangerous to shoot these numbers and not monitor

8. Cherie Hogan

Cherie Hogan Member

I already shot 2 units. I'll get another test in an hour but not hopeful it will tell me much. At some point, with low numbers I am reading and hearing that I need to hold the dose for a certain number of cycles. So, in the past, I have made those minor adjustments up or down but this time, I went ahead and gave him the full 2 units in order to hold the dose. Now, I see that maybe I should not have shot at all. I am confused.

9. Cherie Hogan

Cherie Hogan Member

BTW, I leave lots of wet food down and always free feed Young Again zero carb kibble.

10. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey there and nice to see Riley in greens. Karen made some good points To not keep changing the dose, the depot needs time to fill in so right now it is hard to know what is the best dose for him right now.

And the other point Karen made is to test through the night when he is in green numbers since this is uncharted territory for him.

I see that you did shoot the 2 units and since you are shooting your first green number, please be vigilant testing today and make sure you have HC wet food if needed to steer up . You are using a human meter, correct ?

11. Cherie Hogan

Cherie Hogan Member

So, just to be clear on dosing....if we find that 2 units holds him in the green how many cycles do I hold the shot before taking a reduction? Also, would the reduction be .25 or .50 under the SLGS method? In the case of this morning, when he moved down from 92 to 89 an hour and a half later, and just before preshot, do the protocols say that I should not have shot at all? This is where it gets confusing to me, because my initial thought was to skip the shot, which would drive his numbers up, which I don't want to happen. Shooting 2 units for the next two days before taking any reduction or skips is what I am reading and hearing to do and obviously I cannot be here to monitor because of my work schedule. Very confusing!!

12. Cherie Hogan

Cherie Hogan Member

Yes, Relion meter. Our posts keep crossing but I won't worry so much knowing I have you. I will need to leave in about two hours and will be gone for four hours but will test before and after.

13. Bobbie And Bubba

When you leave in 2 hours , it will be before onset so depending on what number you get, you might want to give him some MC food to bump him up some since you are not going to be home for 4 hours.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  14. Bobbie And Bubba

Cherie, I looked at your SS and it looks like Riley surfed for you today. Thank God! I was very worried that you were shooting that low and leaving. Don't be surprise if he bounces high tonight from being in lower numbers that he is not used to. But, leave the dose where it is. Do not increase it. The bounce will clear in 3 days or 6 cycles. Okay?

15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

16. Cherie Hogan

Cherie Hogan Member

Yes...so wonderful! I didn't leave until I was able to get one test and verify that he was acting normal. I tested as soon as I got home and he is rising. One more test and I will shoot 2 units. Thanks so much for your help.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  17. Cherie Hogan

Cherie Hogan Member

Unless he goes low enough to earn a reduction means? I am taking baby steps so where would that reduction be and how much would I reduce? And thanks for keeping an eye on us!

18. Bobbie And Bubba

Cherie are you following TR or SLGS?

19. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi popping in to say how happy I am to see Riley doing so well and that you hung in there!!:bighug::bighug:
    AND! Love seeing his picture!!

20. Bobbie And Bubba

In case I am offline after you respond. If you are following TR and using a human meter ( it's not in your signature) then the reduction point would be anything under 50 would earn a reduction. A pet meter and following TR would be 68. If you are using a human meter and following SLGS the reduction would be 90.

21. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

She is following SLGS because he's still eating some YA dry.

Cherie....the reductions will be at 90 and his reductions are by 0.25u increments. He earned a reduction to 1.75u.

This is always the point where I wish you could follow TR because I worry that reducing him will cause his numbers to go up (maybe not); however, with dry in the picture, the reduction point is 90.

He's looking so much better and I hope he's acting like his old self more and more. How's the neuropathy?

22. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

To add to what Bobbie wrote whichever you follow it's a .25 reduction when earned.

23. Bobbie And Bubba

Thanks Marje, I missed the YA in the signature.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  24. Bobbie And Bubba

Cherie, I missed the YA food in your signature and that would make Riley be SLGS. .So, the next dose, please take a reduction and shot 1.75 in the AM no matter what the number is. It is expected that he will be higher because of spending some time in lower numbers (bouncing) but don't let that concern you. Just shot 1.75. To be continued......

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  25. Cherie Hogan

Cherie Hogan Member

SLGS...and he is staying in low numbers. He is 112 this morning about an hour and a half before his 2 unit shot and I am immediately leaving for work. Do I hold the shot or reduce .25 or .50? No one will be here but I do not want him in high numbers and he seems to be holding going into his second day in low numbers.
    Thanks!

26. Cherie Hogan

Cherie Hogan Member

Just saw your answer. I will shoot 1.75. So happy Riley is still surfing!!!

27. Cherie Hogan

Cherie Hogan Member

Hi Marje,

Thanks for all the info and I will reduce this morning. He is still in low numbers and is jumping down now but can't jump up. His neuropathy is better. I am still working on that. I am investigating the use of alpha lipoic acid as it works in humans for neuropathy.

This has certainly been a journey and an education. Riley is no longer zombie cat but he has changed. We really spoiled him so he has become quite demanding now. He doesn't want us sleeping at night so he gets under the bed and howls. He only does this at night. Last night we shut him out. Of course that only lasts so long as he just barges through the double doors so we know he is on the way to getting better. We tried to keep him awake last night so he would be tired and not keep us up but that didn't work either. Lol

His appetite and peeing is normal. No more constipation and he is taking care of himself. All good signs. I can't thank you enough for all you have done.

Glennie likes this.
  28. Cherie Hogan

Cherie Hogan Member

Riley is a big, handsome boy and I didn't want to post a picture of him when he was sick so that picture was just taken yesterday when he was surfing which he is still doing today!!

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  29. Gussie's mom (GA)

He is a gorgeous boy! I am so very very happy for you Cherie! It always makes my heart glad when a member who is sure there is no turn around finds that with sticking to the protocol ( even when it makes no seeming sense) and wearing those difficult patience pants, change does come! He is looking great! Big happy hugs to you Cherie and a big scritch to Riley from me.
    Les

30. Cherie Hogan

Cherie Hogan Member

Thanks, Les....by the way is a 'scritch' the same as a 'scratch' or is it something else? Lol...been meaning to ask you.

Glennie likes this.
  31. Gussie's mom (GA)

Scritch...so much more civilized than a scratch...gentle scratching in a most pleasant fashion appropriate for feline furbabies, :bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.