? Understanding the +1 etc numbers

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nicole dorsey, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

I have read through the sticky notes etc but I am not certain I understand what exactly the +1, etc numbers mean exactly. Also not certain I completely understand how/what is meant by reaching its peak etc
    Thank you

2. apple

apple Member

Numbers....

The board is world wide. To save brain pain, when figuring out time after insulin has been given, the times zones are nullified.

Insulin shot
    +1 = one hour after insulin shot
    +2 = two hours after insulin shot
    +3 = three hours after insulin shot

and so it goes.

Nicole dorsey likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi Nicole. Is the number you input at +1 the result of a test an hour after insulin? I'm thinking it may be before. AMPS is the BG before injecting. Maybe you didn't do a test then. Just checking. Congrats on getting your ss started and testing.

5. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

@Tif

6. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

@tiffmaxee or @Kris & Teasel

how soon before shots should they be fed? And how much?

7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

The sequence is test/feed/shoot. Some people do it all within 10-15 minutes and shoot while kitty is eating. Others wait until food is finished. Lantus is a slower onset insulin so a full meal isn't essential before shooting. A tablespoon or two of food should be enough if your kitty is a grazer. It's important that there's no food for at least 2 hours before the pre shot test so the BG isn't elevated by food.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  8. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

Thank you so much!

9. Meridith and Zeke

Meridith and Zeke Well-Known Member

@Nicole dorsey, my sugar baby is a grazer so I pull food 2 hours before (at +10) and then I test, immediately get food down for the kitties, and as long as I see Zeke start eating, I do his shot. I don't wait til his meal is through because he is a slow eater. His shot could end up being as much as 45 minutes after his PS if I waited.

10. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

Thank you very much!

Meridith and Zeke likes this.
  11. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

If you are talking about nadir, here is a good explanation:

12. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey Nicole and Welcome to the Lantus and Levemir group. Below is the explanation of interpreting the SS that helped me when I first started here.

AMPS is the AM Pre-shot test (always test before shooting to make sure they're high enough to give insulin)...then the U column is for "Units" (how much you gave)

The +1, +2, +3, etc are for how many hours since shooting...so +2 is 2 hours after the AM shot, +9 is 9 hour after, etc.....Since we're all over the world here, saying "he was at 148 at 8pm" doesn't tell us anything...we need to know how long since his last shot

At the end of a 12 hour cycle, it's PMPS time! (PM Pre-shot) and the whole thing starts over

13. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

Thank you so very much. This is incredibly helpful!!! I feel very overwhelmed with all that is going on and throwing This into the mix, so I really appreciate the feedback!

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  14. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

You are welcome! We all remember how overwhelmed we were in the beginning. Keep asking questions as that is how we all learned. We are here to help you learn this sugar dance and help your kitty. :bighug:

15. Nicole dorsey

Nicole dorsey Member

It sure is a sugar dance! So thankful for the wonderful group and people!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.