Unfortunately, we're back

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mom2Missy, Sep 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mom2Missy

Mom2Missy Member

Hi all! My cat Missy was diagnosed with diabetes a few years ago. She was on insulin for a few months, but we were able to get her regulated by diet and she was able to stop the injections. I would randomly check her glucose every once in awhile and everything seemed great. Then, we had children and life got in the way. The random glucose checks stopped, but she still seemed to be doing well so I wasn't too concerned.

Well, she has been really good at sneaking food from the kiddos and I think it has affected her glucose levels. She's currently eating Nature's Variety Instinct canned food, but she steals the kids' crackers and sandwiches. I, of course, try my best to prevent this, but unfortunately I can't monitor things 24/7 and my kids are too young to understand why she can't eat their food.

Over the past couple of days, I've noticed she's had difficulty walking. First thing in the morning, I'm going to get a new glucose monitor so I can check her levels. I'll end up taking her to the vet, but I want to get a couple of glucose readings at home since increased stress from vet visits can affect those numbers.

I'm 99% sure it's the diabetes acting up again, so I guess my question is: when should I take her to see the vet? Should I just check her numbers and maybe change her food to see if things get better? Should I go ahead and take her in tomorrow just in case there's something else going on?

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Were you on FDMB when Cat Info created some food charts with the % of calories from each of protein, fat, and carbohydrate? Its linked in the first page, right hand column.
    And there is an online calculator to get you the calories from each of protein, fat, and carbohydrate, so you can divide the carbohydrate calories by the total to get percent of calories from carbohydrate.

I would test, make sure the food was low carb, and encourage the kids to play with the cat, not feed her. The activity may help sensitize the insulin receptors.

Plus, check into methylcobalamin, which can help with diabetic neuropathy a possible cause of the unsteadiness.

And yes, do go to the vet to make sure it isn't something else.

3. Mom2Missy

Mom2Missy Member

She's eating Nature's Variety Instinct in Lamb. According to the Cat Info charts, it has 28P, 70F, and 2C. So I will plan on getting a new monitor, checking her levels tomorrow, and then scheduling a visit with the vet from there.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good plan. You can boost the protein and thus reduce the fat some by adding 1 ounce of lean meat or poultry to 5 ounces of cat food, mix well, and portion out for meals (Per Cat Info vet Dr Pierson.)

5. Mom2Missy

Mom2Missy Member

So I checked her glucose this morning and it was 128. We were out of town this weekend, so she didn't have a chance to sneak any food from the kiddos. She seems to be walking a little better this morning. Do you have any recommendations regarding the methylcobalamin, like a particular brand or place to purchase?

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I believe VitaCost makes one which has no added sweeteners or fillers that would be a problem for a diabetic.

7. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.