UPDATE -Got refund today :)Problem with meter reading comparison (relion)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cindy&Taco, Jan 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cindy&Taco

Cindy&Taco Member

I've been using the relion PRIME for a long time and have gone through thousands of strips,(test-aholic):) I've had 4-5 of the PRIME meters and I always make sure they read comparable to the new one.

A couple weeks ago, I couldnt find the strips, for PRIME,I still had about 100, but, prepared myself just in case.
    I bought the relion PREMIERE BLU, and 200 strips to do a switch over if I had to.

The first time I used it to compare to PRIME , BLU was 10 points higher. I thought I could live with that. His numbers I believe were in the 200s.

Tonight, he started going low, so, I thought this was a good time to compare again.
    At BG 64 on PRIME, he read 96 on BLU. Same drop of blood.To me that's a big difference when dealing with lows.

I'm wondering if anyone else has done this comparison? I'm not so worried about the higher numbers as much as I am over the lows, we all know where they can land out kitties.

Needless to say, I don't trust the BLU, and there goes about 60$, hoping the Prime stays around for some time :)
    Anyone compare these 2 meters? Please :)

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Try doing a few more tests to compare especially with lower numbers. There is a difference between 69 and 96 I agree. Maybe a one off.

3. Cindy&Taco

Cindy&Taco Member

Thanks , I will. Almost felt like I was comparing an Alpha track to a relion.;) This was the second time I had done the comparison, and in the 200s it was a 10 point difference. But this time it was actually 32 points. :(

Just now, BG 142 PRIME
    BG 147 BLU
    Guess I'll have to wait for those low numbers :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  4. Cindy&Taco

Cindy&Taco Member

Well, I had the honor :rolleyes: of trying out the BLU against my PRIME this morning and it was a fail again. At 55 on Prime he was 80 on Blu. I threw it all away, and then thought there's got to be a number on that box to complain to someone about it. It felt terrible to throw 60$ in the trash. I found a number to call and explained everything and after giving the woman the numbers off the boxes, she assured me that they were sending me my 60$ back. Nice surprise after working on getting Tacos numbers up for a few hours:joyful: adding- I did give the lady a good laugh when I told her I just couldn't rely on (relion) that meter.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  5. Casey Warner

Casey Warner Member

What about the Premier Voice? Has anyone tried that? I was going to purchase it today, but now I'm worried. I'm also concerned that the Prime may be discontinued. It's starting to look that way online. I don't see the blue version listed, the red version is not available for shipping and is out of stock at my local store. I still have the Relion Confirm, so I guess I have some decisions to make. :banghead:

This situation with these meters is so upsetting. What is wrong with Walmart? :mad:

6. Cindy&Taco

Cindy&Taco Member

They reassured me that the Prime wasnt going anywhere. The Premier voice looked exactly like the BLU. No E.
    I haven't ever bought online from WM , so I don't know what is available, but, I know my 2 stores still carry the Prime and I like that one the best. Creature of habit :)

7. Cindy&Taco

Cindy&Taco Member

It only took 9 days to get my $60.00 refund in gift cards. Fine with me, they'll be used for more supplies. WM came through, especially on items that are non returnable. :) Anyone else with problems on meters or strips,from WM(Relion) look for the phone number on side of box. I did even mention that they were used on my cat and the problem it could HAVE had if I didnt have my relion prime to compare it to. Hope that helps someone. :)

8. Yvonne & Andy &BJ (GA)

Yvonne & Andy &BJ (GA) Member

Cindy - I can relate to your problems - I had 2 Relion confirms and they read between 20 to 40 pts different from each other. I got a refund for both and switched to an Arkray that uses the same strips and I order via ADW. The Arkray was roughly 30-35 off from my alphatrak2.

Cindy&Taco likes this.
  9. Cindy&Taco

Cindy&Taco Member

I've always used the relion prime and never had problems with them. I get a new one about every 6 months, since they're only $9 and I test so much, and always test the new one against the older. I just hope they keep making them, I'm a creature of habit and don't really want to switch. My daughter and I even have it down to where we use our foot to hold the meter and have both hands free for the rest of the test. :eek: It's funny sometimes how feline diabetes makes some people a little crazy :rolleyes:

10. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

When WM first started discontinuing the confirm/micro I started looking at options. I used the micro and love it. I also had a Nova Max, AT and another one I think Ultra touch which is to temperamental for Olive who doesn't keep her head still. I checked on ADW for the strips that fit the micro. There price went up when WM discontinued. The Nova strips are cheaper although I don't care to much for the meter itself for daily use, it is what I will stick with. It's nice that it's a ketone meter too.

Cindy&Taco likes this.
  11. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I like the One Touch Ultra. I used mtom use it even though it requires 1 uL of blood (compared to 0.3 for the Confirm/Micro and 0.6 for the WalMart replacement Premier meter. However, the One Touch mstrips just got too epensive

Cindy&Taco likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.