UPDATE: Morgaine will not eat. Please help!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by skybar22, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skybar22

skybar22 Well-Known Member

Morgaine will not eat. She is not sick but she just refuses to eat. As some may know I had to change her diet from FF as she refused it. So I went through the process of trying many, many, MANY different brands and flavors of low carb foods. She seemed to enjoy Pro Plan but as soon as i thought we had a winner and bought a couple of cases she turned her nose up at it. I have tried everything but raw which i can not afford or tolerate. I am more than frustrated and I did something I never do. I got angry at her for not eating anything. This situation is beyond stressful. I don't drive anymore and had to pay people to take me to the pet food store. I can not keep doing this.Can anyone help? I feel like not dealing with my cat anymore. I am not too well to begin with and have multiple health issues myself. I love this cat but I can't stand what she is doing to herself. She has always had a healthy appetite and has always eaten her food. She also always ate wet food so it isn't because she is on a canned food diet now. She loved her FF. I have reached the end of my rope. Any support, suggestions, help would be appreciated.

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Re: Morgaine will not eat. Please help!

It may be time for a visit to the vet because not eating is a bad thing.
    There could well be a medical reason for refusing to eat.

3. skybar22

She is not sick. She gobbled up the last of the FF TB earlier but she refuses to eat any and all of the cat food flavors I have here and I have tried more than I can count. I know she is not sick yet but there is nothing else to try and if she keeps this up she will get sick. Are there any behavioral techniques to try to get them to eat foods that you know they like somewhat? she was eating the Pro Plan, happily until yesterday. Now she won't touch it, any of flavors she was okay with. Like I said, she did eat the last can of FF old flavor so I know she is not sick. I had saved one can and it was my last resort last night. Would it be wise to not try to feed her anything for a set amount of time and let her get good and hungry. I really have never experienced this before. She always ate her FF.

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

As a last resort have you tried dry?

6. skybar22

Does anyone know if Forti-Flora is safe to feed regularly? I mixed it in some food and sprinkled some on the top and she ate some of it. I have given this to her before and she really likes the taste. I know she was hungry as she was hanging around the kitchen. A little is better than nothing. Also, is there a place to buy Forti-Flora in bulk as it is very pricey?

7. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I've heard of warming the food in a microwave to get it smelly. Or crushing treats and sprinkle on top of food?

8. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I think I have read that ebay has the best prices for Forti Flora. And I think people do use it daily with no problems.

9. Mom2Missy

Mom2Missy Member

Forti Flora is a probiotic and I've read that it is to be given daily. I bought some over the weekend to try to entice Missy to eat. I've used about 1/2 a packet, and it seemed to work well. She seemed drawn to the food more than usual. I've stopped using it because she developed diarrhea her second day using it. Luckily, she's finally eating on her own. I have 29 unused packets if you (or anyone else) is interested in using it.

10. skybar22

Larry, thank you for suggesting this. I went out and got her some Evo grain free low carb dry today and she ate some. She does seem to like it. I also got her some Pro Plan fish flavors and she ate that too. My cat loves fish but i have stayed away from it as I think she had developed an allergy to it years ago. I will see what happens now but won't be feeding fish for long.

I have decided to cook my own food for her and add the supplements to make it a balanced diet. Any suggestions of recipes and resources or other info will be greatly appreciated. I did start a thread here for that. Sorry about all these threads. I have been a tad obssessed over it all and got rescued from the house today by my friend. Of course we went food shopping for Morgaine amongst other things.

So, for now I have her eating Evo dry low carb, pro plan fish flavors, some Whiskas tubs filet mignon and as soon as I get the supplements I will make her some chicken. She also seems to like Forti-Flora so I will give her that as well to help her digestive track adapt to all these new foods. Meanwhile several cans of high quality cat food sit in my cupboards and perhaps she will one day try them and like them. All the FF and other foods I got were returned to PetsMart. This past week was quite an ordeal.

Thanks to all who responded with ideas and support. Means a great deal to me.

11. Sue and Oliver (GA)

For making your own catfood, Dr. Lisa has lots of info on her site: http://www.catinfo.org

Glad Morgaine is eating!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.