Update on Amy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tim & Chris, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim & Chris

Tim & Chris Member

We saw the oncologist this morning. The news wasn't good. She thinks that there isn't really anything we can do for Amy because the cancer has spread so much. She'd be willing to do chemo but Amy would have to be on a feeding tube for 3-4 days first. Her reg vet told me that feeding tubes for terminal cats are cruel. I can't put her through that. There is only a very small chance it would help her and in the mean time the possible side effects would make her last few weeks miserable. It could make her appetite even worse. In the end it would only buy her a short amount of time. So I will continue to make her as comfortable as possible until I can get my head (heart) around what ultimately must be done and let her go. Logically I know it is best for her but I will miss my girl so much. She's such a sweet girl. It just seems so unfair for her. It is heartbreaking.

They gave her fluids at the vets today...enough so I don't have to give them until Friday. That's the other concsideration.
    She hates getting pills and fluids and dragged to the vets. I just don't think it's fair for me to put her through anymore.
    The oncologist told me that it is not likely that she will just die suddenly...like I'd come home and find her gone. It's more likely that she will just continue to go down hill.

Thank you for all your prayers and advice. Please pray that i will have the strength to do what's best for my girl.

Chris

2. fourcatsmama

fourcatsmama Member

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. It is heart breaking, but you know you'll be giving her a great gift when it is time to let her go.

3. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

As much as this hurts you, you're doing right by her. It wouldn't be fair to put her through all of that. I am so very sorry :cry:

(((Chris))) (((Amy)))

4. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

I'm so sorry to hear this news. I'm glad, though, that you have the information now to make the best decisions for your little girl, and it sounds like you're working with an oncologist who truly has Amy's interests at heart. Please keep us posted, we're here for you Chris.

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I'm saddened by Amy's prognosis. There is only so much we can/want to do.

6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending many prayers your way. Prayers for strength, guidance and courage. You ARE doing right by your little girl.
    Jeanne

7. Carol & Yoshi

Carol & Yoshi Well-Known Member

(((Chris))) So sorry to hear about Amy. Being brave at times like this is the hardest part and you are being brave and kind to Amy to give her the best quality of life possible for as long as you can. It helps to know, I think, even if we can stop or reverse it. Please take care and we're here for you.

8. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

(((((((hugs))))))) Give her lots of hugs & love & treats. Sending good wishes your way for her to be comfortable and for you both to feel at peace.

9. Gina & Yittle (GA)

Gina & Yittle (GA) Member

I'm so sorry to hear the news about your beloved Amy. Its so difficult, but the last greatest gift we give our dearest companions is to make the sacrifice to voluntarily give them up a little sooner so that we can spare them what might happen otherwise. We take on more pain so that they can have less, and its a tribute to the depths of our love for them that we suffer for them. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

10. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

((((((((( chris )))))))))))))
    ((((((((( amy )))))))))))))

I'm so sad to hear of this report. I think it's good that you went to see this vet though, now you know you have done everything you could do for her.
    I know it feels like crap........ to put it mildly .
    I want to repeat what I said to you before -- she got a huge break in her life when she got you. She has love.

If you feel she is in pain ( and cancer is painful) you might ask for some buprenorphine as a palliative measure.
    good to keep her comfy and happy until it is time to say goodbye.

anything I can do? please let me know.

11. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Chris, prayers coming .......for more time with Amy.......to know when it is time to let her go.........and for you for emotional strength.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.