Update on Avery - Still Nauseous

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cmonmiracle, Mar 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmonmiracle

cmonmiracle Member

I took a couple days off testing her BG as she has been normal without insulin for nearly 2 weeks. I came home about half an hour before she usually eats and she vomited a small amount of hair and stomach contents. I decided to test her since this is unusual behaviour. She was at 7.1 mmol/L which is quite a bit higher than her usual 4.9-ish.

My husband fed her at her normal time and she ate some of her dinner. However, she proceeded to throw up almost immediately after. Shortly after that, she went to the litter box to have a wet poo. She's trying to eat again as I'm typing this. We'll see if she keeps it down.

I have a visit with a new vet booked for Thursday next week to retest her blood, but I'm thinking I should take her tonight if they have room... Thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  2. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

No thoughts, but hope she feels better soon :)

cmonmiracle likes this.
  3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

How is she doing now?

cmonmiracle likes this.
  4. cmonmiracle

cmonmiracle Member

I ended up taking her to the vet since she didn't keep down that food. They gave her some cerenia to help with the nausea. So far she's keeping her most recent meal down. Since we were there, we decided to get a blood test done to check her updated levels now that she's been on Felimazole for about 3 weeks. We should get the results tomorrow.

Sharon14 likes this.
  5. cmonmiracle

cmonmiracle Member

Just got a call from the vet with her lab results. Her thyroid level is low, so we'll be reducing her dose to 1.25 mg twice a day rather than 2.5 mg. I will update Avery's spreadsheet with the labs once they've been emailed to me.

She ate all of her breakfast this morning and no vomiting since before we brought her in last night.

I tested her BG after her visit last night and it was at 11.6 - likely due to the stress of the visit. This morning she's back down to 4.2.

I'm looking into getting her in for the I-131 treatment to cure her hyperthyroid. At least that would be one less thing for this poor girl to deal with.

Kris & Teasel and Sharon14 like this.
  6. cmonmiracle

cmonmiracle Member

I feel like I'm talking to myself here... haha. But there is more information to add!

I'm attaching her lab results. Yikes... her T4 was less than 6! Can anyone take a look at her results to help me understand the highlighted values (cholesterol, platelets, etc.)? Anything to be concerned about? @Marje and Gracie or @Sandy and Black Kitty, please?

I already heard back from the treatment facility and they have an opening April 28th, which is much sooner than I originally thought. Their vet will review Avery's file to see if she's a candidate. Exciting stuff!

Attached Files:

7. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I just got home but I’ll be glad to look tonight.

cmonmiracle likes this.
  8. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

You’re not talking to yourself, we’re listening!;)

Squalliesmom and cmonmiracle like this.
  9. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I'm listening, I just don't know much about I-131 so didn't feel qualified to comment, but congrats!!! Pretty exciting! :bighug:

Sharon14 and cmonmiracle like this.
  10. Marje and Gracie

Overall, her labs look pretty good. Her albumin and RBCs are likely high due to dehydration. Platelets are low due to clumping which is common when the blood is drawn.

I wouldn’t worry about the cholesterol...I often see it high in FDs.

On the hyperthyroidism, I often see vets start the felimazole dose way too high and often it can cause the kitty to get sick or have rashes, etc. I’ve looked at a lot of thyroid tests and I’m can’t recall seeing such a massive drop in the tT4 so fast.

I had I131 done on one of my kitties and I’m so glad I did. Felimazole can have long term side effects and thyroid levels can change over time and be difficult to control.

She will have to come off the felimazole to have I131. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to do a full thyroid panel...fT3, tT3, fT4, and tT4 once she’s benn off the meds for a bit.

cmonmiracle likes this.
  11. cmonmiracle

cmonmiracle Member

Thanks for taking a look! I was also shocked by how quickly it dropped from 133 to 6 in just under 3 weeks! I'm going to take a break from the tapazole for a couple of days to give her a chance to get her levels back up, then continue with her new dose.

The treatment facility said to stop meds around April 9 if she is deemed a candidate. They also said to have another blood test around then to ensure she doesn't have any underlying kidney issues - but I'm not seeing evidence of that so far on her labs.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  12. Marje and Gracie

The high thyroid levels can make the kidneys look like they are normal. Her thyroid levels are really low. You might want to talk to the vet about whether you even want to put her back on just to take her off.

cmonmiracle likes this.
  13. cmonmiracle

cmonmiracle Member

So, cerenia has worn off and she seems nauseous again.

Last night I gave her meal in small portions. Lucky I did because she threw up the first portion. There was a small hairball inside so I was thinking that could be the culprit. She asked for more food later and I obliged. She kept it all down.

This morning, she was very reluctant to eat. She did eventually eat it all, but I can't be 100% certain she didn't throw up because my civvie, Hugo, may have helped himself while I was at work.

I offered her a treat and she did not eat it. This is extremely unusual as she has always been food driven, even before her illnesses. She eats dinner at 6:30 (little over 2 hours from now). I hope she'll eat then.

I have no idea why she's feeling so icky still... :(

14. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Is she still getting tapizole? It can make some kitties feel ill, lose their appetite, etc.

15. cmonmiracle

cmonmiracle Member

No, I stopped after getting the labs back. I was going to start again tomorrow.

16. cmonmiracle

cmonmiracle Member

She threw up again this morning before breakfast. I didn't give her tapazole yet.

17. cmonmiracle

cmonmiracle Member

Throwing up all day.... What should I do?

18. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Do you have any more Cerenia to give her? I'd call the vet clinic for advice. You don't want her to get too dehydrated or go too long without eating. Have you checked her BG?

19. cmonmiracle

cmonmiracle Member

I called them this morning. They gave us some cerenia tablets to try out, but when my husband tried to give her some, she vomited shortly after. So I'm not sure any was absorbed.

I gave her some tuna juice about 10 mins ago and it seems to be staying down. She also drank a bit of water on her own.

I just took her BG and she's at 6.2 (112).

Kris & Teasel and Magic Johnson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.