Update on Francis (Mom's cat) now on Lantus

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Traci and Boomer, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hi!
    Francis is doing better, thanks to the support my Mom has gotten from all of you! She says to say thank you. She can't believe how helpful the people here have been to her!

Recap-Francis used to be on PZI for about 4-5 months and wasn't regulated. His BG's were sky high and/or all over the place. After I found this board in November I began to tell her what I learned and mail her all the "stickies" that are on here. Then I convinced her to try Lantus because there is so much support here for Lantus users and it's really helped Boomer.

After a bumpy start - an overdose (shot twice after she thought she missed) which led to a hypo situation, he is now doing better. He was on 3 units of PZI and is on .5 of Lantus. He's also got an infection (bladder) which is in the process of clearing up, so we're keeping his dose low. Today his AM and PMPS were in the low to mid 200's which is MUCH better than what he's been. He used to have a V curve and very high pre and post shot mumbers.

Until Mom can do another curve (this weekend) she's going to continue shooting .5. Sounds like a plan to me. We both get a little break.

2. Sherri & Stash (GA)

Sherri & Stash (GA) Member

Yea for Team Francis!!!

Just remember... Lantus is dosed on nadir... not preshot! That was so hard for me to wrap my head around after leaving Vetsulin for Lantus.

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Sounds good and at least with .5 it's a safe amount to shoot, especially after hypo and when building data.

Ask mom to get in as many tests as she can throughout day/night, this will help build the data and give everyone something more to go by.

4. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

This note is just for anyone who is reading this and drawing a conclusion about PZI, it also should be dosed on peak/nadir values. It works best when started at a low dose, with lots of spotchecks, and the dose moved up incrementally.

I'm glad the Lantus is working so well for Francis, but there's no reason to believe the PZI couldn't have worked equally well with some fine tuning.

5. Sherri & Stash (GA)

Sherri & Stash (GA) Member

Terri, thank you for the clarification. I did not realize PZI worked on nadir.

6. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

Good news. :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.