Update on grieving now lonely diabetic Simba!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ann & Scatcats, May 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Gustav died March 21st, and Simba was due to go for his annual health check up around then, but I postponed for many reasons. However, last Monday, Simba went to see the doctor, and with what happened with Gustav in fresh memory, I wanted to check ALL of Simba out, so he had quiet some tough day.

We started with taking blood pressure. It was too high on 180. Then he was sedated because he can be so aggressive there, and we took fructosamine blood test, fPLI blood test, T4 blood test and the normal large blood test showing all other values.

Then we moved on into the ultrasound scan room, and first we scanned his organs and stomach - the kidneys, the gallbladder, the liver, the pancrea and everything else, looking for any suspected growth changes and over all statues. All was fine but the pancrea was still swollen at 1 centimeter big.

After having scanned that, we also scanned his heart so we also knew in what state that was in.

I'm waiting for the fPLI blood test reply, if its result can shed light why the pancrea is so swollen.

But apart from that all other tests looked fine - all but T4 - Simba has developed Hyper-T.

2. hmjohnston

hmjohnston Well-Known Member

Poor Simba- it sounds like a long, hard day. Hopefully he wasn't too grumpy when he woke up.

I don't know much about Hyper-T, but I shall say ((hugs)) to you. You've had a hard day, too.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

{{hugs}}

It can be simple to treat the hyper-T. I had a kitty with hyper-T for over 5 years until she passed from a stroke ... at age 19! I was able to dissolve her methimazole (aka Tapazole) in a bit of food, put it down, and she'd gobble it up. Others just give the pill. And some get it compounded into an ointment which may be rubbed inside the ear (wear gloves!).

4. lynda and scruffy (GA)

lynda and scruffy (GA) Member

Hi, Ann.

Well, at least you have the comfort of actually knowing all that other stuff is okay, right? This has been such a hard time for you and Simba. Maybe the hyperthyroid treatment will help him get to feeling like his old self again....

Hugs to you and scritches to Simba.

5. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

Hi Ann,

I was thinking the same as Lynda, that it would be a comfort to know that everything else is okay now. It's very common for older cats to develop thyroid problems. Calli was always almost on the edge of high normal as she grew older. Luckily it is easy to treat. I hope the FPLI comes back negative as well.

I'm so sorry about Gustav. It's a very hard adjustment for them to make. It took Racci quite a few months to get over losing Calli. Simba just needs some time and extra attention now. I'm sure the thyroid medicine will make him feel a lot better also. Thyroid problems can make you feel really sick but luckily they are also easy to fix with meds.

Melanie & Racci

6. nwnews

nwnews Member

HI Ann, it can definitely take kitties a while to get over the loss of a friend. I had two sister cats and when we lost one to lymphoma it put Sitka into a depression. HyperT is a common disease among older cats and can be managed with medication. There is also radioactive iodine treatment that is considered a "cure" but I don't think its done much in Europe. Many vets have a tendancy to start with too high a dose of methmizole and that causes cats to have the same kind of crash as when they get too much insulin. With methmizole its better to start low, hold the dose for a few weeks, and then increase as needed. There is a hypert yahoo group that is very active and a great place for information (much like this one is for diabetes). Hugs to you and Simba. Jan

7. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Ann, Sending you and Simba all my best.
    jeanne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.