Update on Oonagh

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Oonagh's Mom, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oonagh's Mom

Oonagh's Mom New Member

Thanks again everyone. Here is what I am doing right now. I kept reading how cats should not have carbs at all. And what did my vet prescribe? DM for my cat which of course has corn, wheat in it. :eek: I have a friend who is extremely intelligent (like goes-to-the-Tulsa-University-library-just-to-read-scientific-articles-for-fun-on-her-anniversary intelligent). She probably knows as much, if not more, than my vet about diabetes. She called me last Thursday and we talked at length. She pointed out that usually, with diabetes, the place to start is with diet, not insulin (I guess unless the patient is passing out or about to go in a coma.) Anyway, Oonagh has never lost her energy or had any type of behavior change that I would associate with diabetes (my mom has been pre-diabetic for years.) So, I decided to just try her on the cat food I'd bought for my other cat. A wet cat food--pate'. No gravy, and according to the cans, only meat. I am hoping I'm not fooling myself, but it feels like she has already re-gained some weight and I think I'm feeling a bit more flesh over her bones. She does not seem to be drinking as much water and the filler in her cat box does not seem quite so soaked.

I don't want anyone else to take this as advice for his/her own cat. This is just what I am doing. I am crossing my fingers. This does not mean I don't plan on taking her back and having her re-checked. But I am not feeling quite so panicked. I lost two cats previously in the early winter months so I think subconsciously, I was seeing Oonagh as another victim of Winter. Thank you for all your support and I will keep everyone apprised as to how she is doing.

Marta (aka Oonagh's Mom.

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Hi Marta,

Which wet cat food pate are you feeding?

You can check it on this chart here, to see what the carb content is. Third column of numbers is the carb percent. Many of the foods available in the US and Canada are on here. We have another link for European and International members.

My diabetic cat Wink eats Fancy Feast pates and some Friskies pates. He managed to get off the juice, insulin being the juice and has been diet controlled for 10 months now.

Here's hoping the diet change makes a big difference for Oonagh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.