? Update on Salem need advice ASAP next Dose coming up at 7pm

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tina and Salem, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Tina and Salem

Tina and Salem Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on should we increase on his Pmps? Should i increase to 1.25 or 1.50 hes still eating good but seems very tired hes sleeping alot today poor baby he was so happy to get home yesterday i think he over did it lol i bet he didnt get much sleep sleeping in a strange place been poked at so much with lots of big dogs barking ! Salem couldnt wait to get in my arms when the intern brought him to me . He was scrambling, ready to go home ! Worried hes so tired i went and got him some different flavors he loves beef so mommie splurged and got him fancy fest . He loved hes hearty beef in gravy in 9 lives but was too many carbs hasnt had it in while im hoping hes got more energy tomorrow ? Hes never been so tired and seems sad this afternoon ? But loves me holding him while looking into his eyes talking to him . I hate seeing salem so low . Hes always been full of energy . Havent been able ti catch him peeing ti check his ketones im working on it lost my chances when he came out of the litter box . Worried hes not drinking much water he was hanging over the water bowel earlier this morning when it was 508 got a turkey baster lol and forced him to slowly drink bottled water . Dnt want him dehydrated again ! Dnt understand why hes hanging his head over the water bowel but not drinking it ? Sandis been alot of help im learning alot . Im so thankful for her helping me ! Tomorrow will be day 3 on insulin Sandi tells me day three i will see the full effect of the insulin vets said in 1 week 7 days lol . Glad she told me ! She helped me realized how they dnt know as much on diabetes as yall have much experience in it . I have been corrected on many things they told me im glad Sandis been here for us ! Shes correct in everything shes adviced me had they say was wrong . Thank God ! Things i hope will look up soon i know salems got a way to go to get back to himself i cnt sleep myself worrying abt him possibly turning for the worse i know hes not out of the woods yet but i got faith he will be ok ! Has anyone every heard of these drops ? Blood sugar Gold seems to have very good results ? https://www.petwellbeing.com/produc...MIz_H_ov-q5QIVAm6GCh2U-QMTEAQYASABEgIHNfD_BwE

AMPS 508 1 unit
    +3 453
    +6 345
    Testing every 4 hrs

Next T/F @ + 10
    PMPS 7pm T/F/S units ? 1 unit or 1.25 or 1.5 units ?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi. You don’t have much data. Did you just start home testing? I’m also confused as to why you have jumped from 2 units to one unit. Which method are you going to use?

3. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Tina and Salem likes this.
  4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Here's the post Sandi did yesterday. We always put the link to the prior days post into our new one so it's easy for people to quickly go back and see what's been going on. She also posted one today. You two need to decide who's going to post....LOL (It should be you of course Tina)

Save your money. When China was first diagnosed I looked into this too and was impressed by all the positive reviews....then I looked deeper into the reviews and found that most of them had changed to a low carb food and started insulin about the same time. THAT'S what worked, not the BSG.

It's a little early to know for sure, but considering Salem's weight, I think going up to 1.5 is probably a good idea. Let's see where he's at closer to PMPS

5. Tina and Salem

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You're seeing a bounce off of those blue numbers from yesterday. I would stick with the current dose unless you've tested for ketones and got a result that's greater than trace.

7. Tina and Salem

I put the strip in his urine today it didnt change colors its just beige negative i guess according to the color codes what do you mean a bounce off of the blue numbers

8. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi all.

Tina was testing Salem before he went into DKA, but he was not getting insulin. We didn’t take the time to backload any of that data (we ran out of time last night, and I didn’t know how relevant it would be anyway).

So he first got insulin, fast acting, at the hospital, on 10/26, and he didn’t get Lantus until Tuesday PM 10/29, and no, we don’t have those BG readings.

So no we don’t have much data, but this is where we are and we need to be cognizant of coming out of DKA...and note that I don’t have DKA experience directly. Because of the DKA, I think that the Tight Regulation (TR) protocol is in order, he is on only wet food and Tina is home all day.

We dropped to one unit because we didn’t have much data, and we saw a drop between +8 and +11 and I was just not comfortable with 2. That might have been a mistake, but no one was around in time and we didn’t know for sure how well Salem was going to be eating his first night home.

Yes, Tina could have just put her question in the post that I started for today, sorry for the confusion. Tomorrow Tina will be handling everything herself and starting a new post.

I think that covers everything. If there is anything else that I can try to clear up, let me know. I appreciate you all checking in with Tina and Salem!

Reason for edit: Added TR info
  9. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Tina, a bounce is when a cat goes into numbers that they aren’t used to (or they drop very quickly) and their bodies try to protect themselves by generating a kind of sugar to bring their own blood glucose up. That results in higher numbers for a little while.

10. Tina and Salem

Sorry im learning everyone im new at this Sandis doing a good job keeping me straight i will make mistakes lol but i will correct them . Its the only way im going to learn . I will learn from my mistakes . :p But i will not risk salems health or life learning .Trying to be very cautious Thanks for everyones help .

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

No need to apologize. The front end of this learning curve is overwhelming. Please ask questions!! The people here are very generous with their time and knowledge.

12. Nan & Amber (GA)

You're doing great Tina-- FD is a tremendously steep learning curve all on its own, and adding just coming out of DKA must be overwhelming.

As for Salem's seeming sad, DKA takes a lot out of them. Many caregivers report that it takes weeks before they regain their previous energy. That's why it's so important to keep testing ketones in these early stages, to give you an objective measure of trouble brewing (as opposed to just him needing more time to rest and recover). You're doing all the right things for him by testing BG (and ketones, when you get a chance), and being very proactive with the insulin dose.

And don't forget to take some time for yourself. The level of caregiving you've taken on can be exhausting, so make sure you are taking care of yourself, too. :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

13. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Welcome to the group Tina! Salem is gorgeous and I'm so sorry for what you've both been through with the DKA! I hope you and he can both catch up on your rest now that he's home.

As for the Blood Sugar Gold - I agree with Chris - wasted my money on that - made no difference whatsoever in Luci's progress or lack thereof.

Take care and have a good evening. Keep talking to Salem :)

14. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Ok, so we now have test results from Tina through +10 and we are actually at +11 right now but I don't know that another test will change our mind. See http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...dka-amps-508-3-453-6-345-8-403-10-371.221102/

The votes so far are: Stay at 1.0, 1.25 and 1.5

Tina is doing a great job testing. How many strips do you have left, @Tina and Salem ? Because that will make a difference. You have the 3 cans of FF gravy food and the honey that I left you. If you are willing to test 2 and 4 hours after the shot tonight (9pm and 11 pm at the very least) and want to try to shoot higher, I can see the case for 1.5 units. Are you comfortable with that? If he goes low, we will just go through thesteps for handling low numbers....testing, giving gravy or honey, repeat, and if not me, there should be someone on line to help you through it. And I drew you that large picture so you know where 1.5 units would be, just adjust that sample syringe to 1.5, and then draw up the real syringe to match it.

@Tina and Salem What do you think you are comfortable with? We will all help support you.

15. Tina and Salem

16. Tina and Salem

I been thinking abt it all day lets try 1.5 units ? Do you think its safe ? Hes sugar been high all day but i know you said until day three til it has reached its full effect that will be tomorrow evening right ? :bighug::bighug:

17. Tina and Salem

I think he will be ok ?

18. Nan & Amber (GA)

What's the PM pre-shot blood glucose?

19. Tina and Salem

Yes i can check him every two hrs throughout the nite no problem

20. Tina and Salem

Getting ready to recheck it, at 5 pm it was 371

21. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

YesTina, please test again now and fill in the PMPS in your spreadsheet and let us know here what it is.

Then as long as you have test strips and can test at 9pm (+2) and 11pm (+4), and you are willing to stay up longer if needed, it is your call to make but I think it is ok to try 1.5 but no higher .

But test now and let us know.

22. Tina and Salem

23. Tina and Salem

I think its safe 1.50 getting ready to T/F/S

24. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Agreed. As long as he is still eating, let’s try 1.5. I assume you are confident where 1.5 is? Just one more little tick down on the left side.

Then yes, go ahead and feed and shoot now. You are right on time.

25. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Post back here at +2 (9pm) and I’ll watch for you.

26. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

And thanks again everyone for your input, we both really appreciate it!

27. Tina and Salem

Its done yes we got it daniel helped me see the lines lol plus we looked at the picture you brought last night with the lines on the needle . Hes eating loves the different food I got today. Hes ate really good today . Just wish he would drink more water . Hes drinking but not as much as i would like him too especially after being dehrydrated plus read fluids help get rid of the ketones . But if my strip was right hes negative for ketones . I will be sure to retest that again with only urine tomorrow i found an old spoon i can use like you explained last night lol it will be easier to get under him while hes urinating . Thanks !

28. Tina and Salem

Yes thanks everyone for taking the time to give your advice and information !!!! So blessed to be apart of this board !!! And DCIN !!! And to have a new friend Sandi and whisper

29. Nan & Amber (GA)

30. Tina and Salem

Where did you say is the best place to put ketones results ?

31. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

You could try to see if he would lick slightly warmed low sodium chicken broth to keep hydrated.

32. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You can also make your own bone broth...you don't have to buy a whole chicken, you can use drumsticks, thighs and/or wings. That way you also know it's absolutely no sodium at all.

33. Tina and Salem

Thanks !! I do that all the time making chicken and rice ! We are going to spoil him too much !

34. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

You can either write "ketone negative" in the actual cell of the spreadsheet at the time it was taken, or you can just type it on the very right hand side in the REMARKS column. Put the time and "ketone negative", but in this case you might also want to note that you actually pressed it against fresh urine actually in the litter, since we don't know if that affected the results.

35. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Tina is officially a test-aholic now! Welcome to the Club! :)

She couldn't wait for +2 so she tested at +1 instead, and then will get a +3 (which is in about 35 minutes at 10pm ET). Then we'll make a decision from there on whether you need to test again, or just have everyone get a good rest :bighug:

PMPS: 431 (1.5U given)
    +1 : 434

36. Tina and Salem

Lol yeah so worried abt my baby

37. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Tina you are doing great. I think you'll be able to get some rest tonight.