Update on Spot

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SpotsMom, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

So much has been happening since Spot's pancreatitis diagnosis a few weeks ago. He had a bad week after the initial diagnosis, when he was lethargic and not eating, and clearly not himself. Then he had a good week, where he was almost back to his old self. And now, he's back to being sick again...

Starting last Wednesday, he went off his food again, which resulted in an asymptomatic hypo in the afternoon, which resulted in me reducing his dose. Well, since then I have tried increasing, decreasing, and maintaining his dose, and nothing seems to be working to get his numbers back in control. I still think 1.25u is too high, based on the 129 at +10 on Sunday morning, and then the resulting 400+ readings yesterday afternoon. I dropped his PM shot to 1u last night, which still seemed to lead to 300+ readings this morning. I briefly considered reducing to 0.75u this morning, but then chickened out and ended up going back to the 1.25u that worked before. Was that a mistake? These high numbers in my mind are either caused by a long bounce cycle, or him being ill.. if it's a bounce, I need to reduce; if its because of him being ill, I should probably increase.. I don't know what to do.. I just know I HATE all these high numbers!!

In the meantime, he's been having diarrhea and vomiting since Friday. Saturday morning at 3am, he had such a violent BM that it woke me up from a dead sleep... emergency litter box changes in the middle of the night are no fun at all. The only thing he has going for him right now is that he IS eating.. even if he's being picky about it, I'm not having to force feed! I have him on Cerenia, Pepcid & cyproheptadine and giving him fluids every day. Today I took him into the vet for another specFPL and to get some anti-diarrhea meds.

I am reaching my wits end. He just seems so miserable all the time. He's fading before my eyes, and I just don't know what to do anymore .... if anyone has any words of wisdom or encouragement, I could sure use the boost today :(

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I can't help with ProZinc dosing, but diarrhea I have dealt with a lot! What finally ended almost two years of diarrhea for my IBD girlie was s. boulardii and Slippery Elm Bark. I used the NOW brand from amazon.com, don't remember the exact doses at the moment but I'm sure it's online somewhere, or someone else here will know. It was the only thing that worked for my Candy; I think we tried everything in the book, lol! Just remember to check with your vet before starting any new med/supplement. And don't give up hope, I believe you will find the answer(s) you need for Spot. :):bighug::cat::bighug::):bighug::cat::bighug:

3. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Thank you! I'll definitely be looking into the s. boulardii and Slippery Elm Bark!
    I hope you're right about being able to find the answers... I know its a marathon and not a sprint, but I guess I always thought I was working towards something better. His numbers were looking good for a little while and I was just starting to feel like the diabetes was under control, when this pancreatitis diagnosis threw everything off all over again. I'm trying so hard not to give up hope...

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Poor you and poor Spot! :(:) Pancreatitis can be a beast and it will certainly affect BGs when they're in a flare. You might consider posting on the ProZinc forum for advice from @Djamila whose kitty, Sam, has it chronically.

5. Squalliesmom

I am so lucky that I have not had a kitty go through pancreatitis, but I know from folks here who have that it is a miserable experience for both kitty and bean. I have been in the situation, though, where BG was under decent control only to be thrown off by something and sent into a spin. I know it seems impossible now, but you will get it back under control. Patience and perseverance are the steps to this dance. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

I have been through this same battle in the last month! It is difficult to try & manage all things! Baby seemed to be doing better after being put on 5 different things for the pancreatitis. Now she’s back to diahpoo & just not acting right. I also went back to a higher carb food she likes just to get her to eat, which is bad for her! I also have tried the S. Boulardii, but she won’t touch the food it’s sprinkled on. We have an appointment with the vet tomorrow to see what’s what. I know she wants to do the gastro blood work & I’m assuming she has IBD also. Anytime I’ve ever changed a food (even very slow intro) she has bowel problems. Very stinky & light in color. I’m also at my wits end! The bg is enough to treat & now this. I hurt for her. She is laying in my closet (not normal) so I know she doesn’t feel well. @SpotsMom - hang in there & if I get any answers I will pass them along. Keep us posted on your outcome as well & sorry you’re going through all this too. Get well please Spot & Baby! Hugs for you...

SpotsMom likes this.
  7. mouse16

mouse16 Member

I'm so sorry Spotsmom, can hear your despair. I dont have any wisdom to offer as have no experience, but just hearing you and sending hope and healing for Spot.

8. Becky & Baby Girl GA

@SpotsMom - what did they give you for the diarrhea? Was it metronidazole? If you think he is in pain you could ask for some pain meds. My vet gave me 5 days of bupe, oral liquid, and that seemed to really help her. Just a suggestion... :)

Squalliesmom likes this.
  9. Squalliesmom

I believe bupe is also an anti-inflammatory, so it would be a double advantage.

10. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

@Becky & Baby Girl Kitty he’s on propectalin gel for the diarrhea. The vet gave him a bupe injection the first time around, but it was the 3 day injection and the results were not good. He was a shell of himself for 3 days.. sat in front of his food bowl staring at it but not touching it, like he didn’t remember how to eat. The vet wants to half his dose next time, but I’m a little afraid of using bupe again unless it’s dire... and he seems to not be in pain at the moment. He’s laying around a lot but sprawled out, not meatloafing...

11. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Thank you & I understand about the bupe! The 3 day would be scary as you can’t undo it. I have never heard of the propectalin but I’ll see what my vet says. I hope it works quickly for both your sakes! Sending healing thoughts & paws crossed for Spot!

Squalliesmom and SpotsMom like this.
  12. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

I posted in the Prozinc forum here for dosing advice. Thank you so much to everyone who gave advice and support here! I can't tell you how much this forum means to me :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.