UPDATE - Progress, yay!!!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jennifer block, Aug 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer block

Jennifer block Member

So, here a link to the other post.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...is-54-4-hours-after-shot.181906/#post-2017463

After not having insulin since yesterday at 520 (1.75 units). This mornings AMPS was 184, so i skipped a dose. Came home around lunch, 6 hours after eating breakfast, his sugar was 170. Dinner time, 5:30, his PMPS was 154. Decided to give him 1 unit as suggested if he was over 150. Two hours after shot, hes still holding at 154.

I plan on staying up for 2 more tests. I think we are doing great. ;);):smuggrin::smuggrin::p

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

In the dose box on your spreadsheet for this morning, you can put "NS" for "no shot".

Looking forward to seeing that +4. Hopefully it will start dropping, but a bit more gently than the past couple of days!

3. Jennifer block

Jennifer block Member

Ugh, dropped to 80. Hes eating his bedtime mean now.

4. Djamila

80 is great! It's still nice and safe and a much gentler drop than you were getting on 2 units. That's exactly what you want a cycle to look like! You could maybe grab a +5, but I don't think you'll need to stay up all the way to +6 tonight.

5. Jennifer block

Jennifer block Member

Morning... :coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

So, i did the +5, he was 84. So i went to sleep right after. Still super sleepy.

This morning was 159. So i gave him another 1 unit, ill come home at the +6 for my lunch break & see how's he doing. :):):);)

6. Jennifer block

Jennifer block Member

AND.... we have poopy un his box!!! He has had the Pet Alive Natural Moves, 1/2 capsule twice a day.

7. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great plan! 80 is a beautiful number...not too low at all. Looking forward to seeing the +6! With luck he'll be around the same number tonight so maybe you can get some more sleep. :)

8. Jennifer block

Jennifer block Member

Man, i hope so. I was extremely tired last night.

9. Djamila

You haven't been sleeping much the last few nights. Hopefully you can grab a nap after work, AND get to bed at a better time.

That was a great cycle last night. Hopefully you'll get a repeat today!

10. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Glad to hear things are going so well. :cat:

11. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of getting Natural Moves. Seems like its working well for everyone who have tried it! We've been using Miralax and its just not working like it used to. My civie has been backed up like Mufasa...hard black tootsie rolls. And I mean HARD.
    Mufasa's numbers are looking great!!!!:cat:

12. Jennifer block

Jennifer block Member

Yes, this morning he had another "Natural Move" (hahahahahahahhaahha) but, not to be TMI, was watery. He has been on it since Tuesday evening. So, I am going to hold off on another round of it for a couple days and see where that leads.

I am so very happy with his numbers. He is doing great. I will keep everyone posted on this post with his +6 number. Just so I know, what is a good number for him? The 80 something? I am always confused what is actually "normal". I am excited to take him in for a checkup as well. I can't wait for the doc to see his numbers now. She will be impressed. Should I print out the spreadsheet and show her? I know she is going to question me about why I didn't start him off at 2 units like she said, what kind of explanation should I give her? Cause you know some vets look at us like a crazy colony of crazy cat people.

13. Djamila

Ummm....I think we are a crazy colony of crazy cat people! :p:joyful:

Just tell her you weren't comfortable starting on 2u. You can print the spreadsheet, or send her a link to it. At my last appointment, I just brought it in on my tablet and we looked it over, but they have wifi at my vet.

What you're really looking for right now is those nadir numbers. You want to keep them green, and anything between 50-80 is great. So as long as the nadir is landing around there, you just hold the dose where it is. If it starts to get into those low 50's, you lower the dose a little. You also have to keep an eye on the pre-shots at the same time though, because as they start to come down, you'll need to lower the dose based on that as well. If you lower too soon, you lose a little ground. If you lower too late, you have a mild hypo. It's a bit of a dance, and you often don't know if you did the right thing until after you've done it. That's where the monitoring comes in though - you can catch a low number before it's dangerous.

One thing to clarify: 50 isn't dangerous. 50 is still safe, but it's low enough that we take action at that point to bring the number up. You don't want to go below 50 if you can help it because below 50 is where you can start to see symptoms of hypoglycemia. And in those lower 50's, your cat will often start to act really hungry, because their instinct is to bring their own numbers up, and food is how they do that. But it's not like a cat hits 50 and just falls over dead. That's sort of a safety buffer before it gets to be critical.

14. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

I'll be keeping an eye on the Natural Move movement :joyful:. My poor other civie who needs no assistance got into some of the miralax laced food. Nothing good came from it....o_O

I think what we're all aiming for are blues and greens. So if the pre-shot numbers are blue and dark greens mid cycle that is a great thing! Mufasa is already showing you that. So you can print the spreadsheet out and bring with or if you have your vet's email you can copy and paste your SS link from here and send that way.
    Proof is in the pudding, can't see why the vet would be upset with your decision on dosing. Mufasa's doing great!!!
    I know how you feel, once I talk to my vet again I'll be breaking the news that I totally ignored his starting dose direction for Beenie on Levemir! In the end we're the "parents". My vet and his staff are blown away by what I'm doing. I assume anyone working at a vet's office is an animal lover, how can you argue with someone trying to keep their pet safe and get them better. :bighug:

Djamila and Kris & Teasel like this.
  15. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Oh no! Poor thing :smuggrin:

16. Jennifer block

Jennifer block Member

AWESOME!!!

So, I went home.... 130!!!!! What a relief.

JanetNJ likes this.
  17. Jennifer block

Jennifer block Member

20170810_123613.jpg I bought these for Mufasa & his cousin Isis, and Aunts Mocha, Anna & Shadow. Anna & Shadow are my dads cats, Mocha is my moms, & Isis is my sisters. Got them at kittykickstix.com.

18. Jennifer block

Jennifer block Member

Sorry i didn't post earlier.

For dinner we had...... 132!!! A shot of 1 unit & shredded chicken, with catnip pillow on the side. Lol 20170810_175647_001.jpg 20170810_175645.jpg

19. Djamila

Is there any chance this morning was a fur shot?

That catnip pillow looks so good! Sam would go crazy for that! I'm heading to the pet store in a bit....you may have just inspired me to get him a new treat!

20. Jennifer block

Jennifer block Member

I make sure i get it in. After the shot, i usually wipe my hand where i got him. So i know if its wet, i didnt get him. There has only been one time it missed, the needle didn't go in & it bent.

Djamila likes this.
  21. Djamila

I won't even say how many times I've done a fur shot. :eek: :facepalm:

22. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

We've ALL done fur shots! We haven't all done what Rachel's done though...the time (twice!) that I tested, fed, got the shot ready....and walked out the door without giving it. Just left the syringe sitting on the table. :banghead:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.