911 Urgent help: Poncho Ketones Moderate Range

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by christoph, Mar 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christoph

christoph Member

Thought we were near the end.
    Update: Old vet called, gave me a guideline for doing his version of a curve (which is identical to this forum's) and wants me to keep him updated, so I cancelled the "grim reaper" appt. and will give this a try. Poncho has perked up some. At least his pancreas has healed.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Here is a link to Poncho's thread on the Prozinc board.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/end-of-the-road-for-poncho.134488/

Poncho is throwing ketones. Here is the opening post from the above thread:

(no replies to above as at 20:56 GMT).

3. Critter Mom

Chris,

I strongly recommend that you keep this request for help here on the main Feline Health board because more people visit here than the Prozinc board.

Go to the opening post on this thread then click the Thread Tools option on the right hand side of the screen. Choose "Edit Title" then use the 911 prefix and change the title to something like "Urgent Help: Poncho Ketones in Moderate Range".

('ll go to the other thread and post a link to direct people here.)

4. christoph

christoph Member

Thank you Aine. I cancelled the mobile vet and my old vet called and is going to guide me with doing a curve. Now I recently fed Poncho and he just threw it up, even tho he's on the ondansetron. The present vet did give him a strong dose of oral Bupren so hopefully that's why he threw up. Looking back last few days he was on the Bupren and lost his appetite.

5. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Oh no not again. Well you got poncho through this before and so I am more than hopeful you can again.

It's the same drill as before. Vet being the best place to deal with ketones but if that not possible or wanted then it is fluids, water and insulin as before.

@Meya14 @Elizabeth and Bertie @Carl & Polly & Bob (GA) and whoever helped before.

Christoph can you go back and review you older ketone thread? It might have some helpful tips

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. christoph

christoph Member

Yes, I'll review that thread if I can find it. Last time the ketones were stronger. I'm going to test again in case of a false read.

7. phlika29

I searched your threads and I think it was this one

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/poncho-diagnosed-diabetic-1-15.132642/

@BJM helped a lot before.

As the prozinc doesn't seem to be getting poncho blood glucose under control I wonder what you old vet thinks of lantus or levemir.

In the meantime do you have sub q's still at home if not I would go back to the oral syringe and assist feed as before. Make sure the ondansteron is in the system beforehand and give food and water little and often

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

I posted over in the other thread. But I second the lantus/levemir idea. You need a basal insulin for a cat who gets ketones, and I think it'd help regulate him. The prozinc is wearing off too fast, that's why you can't find a happy dose.

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. christoph

christoph Member

I still have sub qs and will continue to syringe feed often. Next ondansetron due in 4 hrs. He had a strong dose of bupren so I think has some nausea from that.

10. phlika29

What was the painkiller for? Pancreatitis?

11. christoph

christoph Member

I think you are probably right. I'll ask my old vet tomorrow when I report Poncho's nadir. Thanks.

12. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

Also, if he is eating anything on his own, when Max was really sick and first started eating again I made a soup/slurry out of wet food (kind with gravy), smashed up dry kibble, and water. This seemed to be much more palatable when he had nausea. Remember, carbs aren't bad when ketones are present, so feed him whatever he'll eat.

Critter Mom likes this.
  13. christoph

christoph Member

I had him on the pain med the last few days because I thought his pancreas was in pain.....then the vet informed me his test showed his pancreas is ok now.

14. christoph

christoph Member

Will try that. Need to go pick up some high carb food now. Be back.....

15. phlika29

If you need to give pain relief then try smaller amounts three time a day. I would find that remi's symptoms never quite tied up with the test results so you might be right. What were the symptoms ?

Meya also mentioned testing for things like low potassium as this can cause weakness and lack of movement (which you interpreted as pain??).

16. christoph

christoph Member

Symptoms were lethargy weakness esp hind legs. He's supposed to have potassium in his fluids, but maybe they forgot to infuse this batch.

17. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Your goals for managing the ketones will be:
    - Keeping food going in
    - Keeping him hydrated; be sure to check if the potassium is in those fluids
    - Keeping the glucose between 200-300-ish on a pet glucometer; you may need to dose every 8 hours to do this, as you were before.

18. christoph

christoph Member

• Thanks BJM. I've gotten about 110 ml of food in him today so far. I've been giving him 75ml fluids twice daily. The fluids do have potassium. Somehow I have to convince the present vet to still give supportive meds while I try a different method of trying to regulate via my old vet. I guess my old vet could do that but by law he might have to see Poncho before prescribing anything. I'll know tomorrow. I told him about the ketones and he said keep doing what I'm doing. As far as insulin, to give 1 unit tonight, then 1 in am unless BG is under 200, then test mid cycle and call him with the number. He bases dose on the mid cycle number and tries to stick with that dose for a bit before trying ti increase/decrease. I'm going to ask him about a longer lasting insulin also.

Critter Mom likes this.
  19. christoph

christoph Member

Haven't checked ketones yet. Last night pre shot BG470 (same as am).
    This am BG 206 gave 1 unit and will feed 25-30ml AD/test every 2 hrs,
    +2 BG 179
    +4BG 156
    +6BG 156
    +12BG 99 ???!!!! No smile here!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  20. phlika29

You are doing great so far Chris.

I think you can just buy potassium supplements without a prescription (tumil k) but not sure how much you would need if you are also giving potassium in the fluid.

Would the vet you are with now not consider changing poncho over to lantus?

21. christoph

christoph Member

Hi Sarah,
    I'll bring up the idea to my former vet of switching insulin later today. I still need the present vet so I have to be careful not to let her know another vet is advising me. I guess I'll also ask former vet if he can prescribe from 250 miles away. Poor Poncho's back legs are so weak it's hard to watch him walk. He might need more potassium. I have an appt with present vet tomorrow so will bring up potassium. I know this vet thing is confusing. Present vet is the one I've been using for a month, old or former vet is the one I used for 20 years when I lived in St Louis (moved from there to Kansas City, MO 2011). He treated Poncho's sister's diabetes very well and she was on same dose Prozinc for several years with no BG rechecks. She also had an enlarged heart and she passed away from complications with heart meds and diabetes.

22. phlika29

Are you also giving a MethylCobalamin supplement as it could be diabetic neuropathy if ponchos number have been high but yes would definitely check out the levels of potassium with the new vet.

Will the new vet not consider switching the insulin (not mentioning the old vet to them)?

23. Critter Mom

I'd strongly recommend discussing everything to do with potassium levels with your vet. From what I've read here, both too much and too little can both cause problems.

24. christoph

christoph Member

I didn't know about MethylCobalamin but will ask about getting him on it and will ask about potassium level. Just did +4 test/feeding (post #19). +6 coming up 1 1/2 hrs....that's the one my former vet wants. I wonder if I'm feeding too frequently (@2 hrs) or too much (25ml) per feeding for this curve.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  25. christoph

christoph Member

I'll ask....guess she'll have to take a blood sample to analyze.

26. christoph

christoph Member

Do you think I'm feeding too frequently (every 2 hrs) or too much per feeding (25 ml) for this curve? At 12 hrs he will have had about a full 5.5 oz can, then the next 12 hrs much less (overnight) so less resistance to the insulin. Should I save a feeding or two for late night before bed time? Given the ketones I guess I shouldn't be too concerned.....right?

27. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

Feed as much as you both can tolerate (at least 1 x 5.5 oz can per day). You are right, you should space out the feedings in AM and PM cycles to keep his BS steady.

28. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes Christoph, she'll have to do bloodwork to tell potassium level but you'll have lots of other information from that same blood draw too - it'll be worth it.

Critter Mom likes this.
  29. phlika29

30. christoph

christoph Member

Thank you!

31. christoph

christoph Member

Thanks for the link Sarah. She is going to give a b12 injection tomorrow and give me some potassium pills. Did Remi suffer from neuropathy?

32. phlika29

Remi was suffering from low potassium and it made him weak so it looked similar to neuropathy but not sure if that is the correct name for it if the cause is potassium. I bought the zobaline but never gave it as the potassium supplement seemed to do the trick. A word of warning the supplements can cause nausea and I found slowly increasing the amount given helped to over come this.

As critter mom said you really want to double check potassium levels with a quick blood test before you give supplements to check it is low.

Here is a link to Tayna's ckd page on potassium
    http://www.felinecrf.org/potassium.htm

Critter Mom likes this.
  33. christoph

christoph Member

What the heck? +12 pre shot (no shot) BG 99 (Alphatrak) 62 (Relion) Started new thread so more people can see. What is going on?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.