Urine collection

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kris & Rasmus, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris & Rasmus

Kris & Rasmus Member

Hi again,

I want to start checking for ketones but Rasmus is a cat that does his business outside. If I let him use a litter tray inside, it would be no problem but what do I do? How do I collect urine once a day? What do you use in the litter tray? Can it be rinsed off and reused? How do you dry it etc, etc.?

Thank you!

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Kris, there are a number of ways to catch a pee sample.

It's possible to buy non-absorbent litter from your vet and online. But it comes in tiny weeny quantities. Or, washed aquarium gravel would do the same job, possibly cheaper. Both can be rinsed, dried, and re-used.

In my experience crumpling clingfilm loosely over the cat litter is often a good way to catch a sample (the pee catches in the creases and you only need a drop or two.) But this technique tends to work better if the cat is already used to the litter tray.

Or...if you use clumping litter you may be able to just stick the end of the test strip into a freshly wet pee clump, if you can catch him in the act, or soon after.

With my new diabetic kitty I'm finding that just having a really shallow layer of cat litter seems to work quite well with her. It slows down the rate at which the pee gets absorbed, and there is sometimes a nice little pool on the bottom of the tray.

If your cat isn't too private about his toilet habits, you may, as some do here, be able to stick a spoon under your cat's bum while he's peeing. :smuggrin:
    Some people have also done this outdoors (much to the amusement of their neighbours, I expect), but you need to be able to pretty good at stalking your cat. If he tends to pee in the same place though, you could maybe wait in ambush...

Do you know if Rasmus will use a litter tray? Has he done so before? It may be that he relishes the opportunity to use it. In which case, that's good news (especially since you are moving house soon?)
    But if he is reluctant to give it a go you could try to encourage him by sprinkling a little garden soil onto the tray (something that smells familiar). Or - and this is something you won't often see posted on a forum - if you know where he poops you can pop one of those onto the litter tray so that he associates one with t'other, just to give him the idea... :rolleyes:

Given Rasmus is well over the 'renal threshold' it's likely he will want to pee a lot. So, hopefully you will have opportunities to catch some pee very soon.

Edited to add: Unless he's been diagnosed with ketones you shouldn't need to test the pee that often unless he seems unwell or off his food. In which case testing is very important. Occasional tests when you can get them should hopefully be fine (every week or so, for example in the beginning). If you find it fairly easy to do though then by all means test as much as you want to, it's always good to have the reassurance of a 'negative' result.

Anything above a 'trace' ketone result is a reason to talk to your vet ASAP. Ketones can get out of hand very quickly.

Eliz

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Kris & Rasmus likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I use a blood ketone meter to test ketones. Much more convenient.

4. Kris & Rasmus

Kris & Rasmus Member

Yes, this would be ideal. I was looking at trying to get the Precision Xtra but cannot find it in the UK :(

5. Kris & Rasmus

Kris & Rasmus Member

Yes, he will use one if he's given the opportunity, he can be quite lazy :) I have some new fish gravel which I will rinse off to make sure it's clean and then give it a try. Just not sure the best way to dry it. Hahaha. House move has been postponed for a few weeks - issues at the bottom of the chain. I was waiting for that to happen before I started testing for ketones (two birds with one stone) but I'll dig out the litter tray today. It's under the moving boxes :(

6. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Kris, there are other ketone meters in the UK. Here's one from Wellnostics, for example. And I think they do a couple of others also. The test strips are expensive, so you may want to factor that into the cost of whichever you choose..
    https://wellnostics.com/products/glucorx-hct-ketone-monitoring-system

Kris & Rasmus likes this.
  7. Kris & Rasmus

Kris & Rasmus Member

Fantastic! I'll get me one of those for emergencies, but I'll probably use the ketostix on a weekly basis.

JanetNJ and Elizabeth and Bertie like this.
  8. Sapphire Skye

Sapphire Skye Member

What brand is this Ketone meter? I would be interested in obtaining one. My Safie has had trace amt in her urine and I cant seem to get to it in time to test it regularly.

9. JanetNJ

This is the one I use
    KETO-MOJO Blood Ketone and Glucose Testing Kit, Monitor Your Ketogenic Diet, 1 Meter, 1 Lancing Device, 10 Lancets, 10 Ketone Test Strips, 10 Glucose Test Strips, Carrying Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0789G8KTG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZTBRCbG1SVN4A

Get extra strips right away. 10 won't last long

10. Sapphire Skye

Sapphire Skye Member

The glucose strips are considerably less expensive than Alpha Trak but keto strips are equally as pricey as the AT test strips :( But good to know they exist.

11. JanetNJ

Yes but you don't typically test ketones as often as glucose. I bout this kit 10 months ago and still have the same vial of strips.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.