? Urine Sample

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Squalliesmom, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I want to collect a urine sample to take in to my vet at tomorrow's appointment. It's easier to get Squallie to "pee on demand" late at night than it is in the morning. Can I refrigerate a sample overnight and still have it be viable for testing the next day?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Fresh is best, but if it's the best you can do, I've held samples overnight in my refrigerator

Squalliesmom and Critter Mom like this.
  3. Bama

Bama Member

I usually collect one the day before and refrigerate it. If I have the opportunity to collect a fresh sample in the morning, great! On the morning of a vet appointment leave it to a cat to either avoid the litter box entirely or wait for the one moment you aren't paying attention to pee. I swear Bama turns into a silent super stealth litter ninja whenever there is a timetable for collection.

Critter Mom and Squalliesmom like this.
  4. Squalliesmom

Out of 5 litter boxes, I have one that Squallie never uses. I have discovered - to my great delight!- that if I pick him up and place him in this box, he will immediately squat and pee! I have only ever tried it at night, though, don't know if it will work in the AM, lol. I have no idea why he does this bizarre thing, but it sure makes collecting samples and testing for ketones a whole lot easier!

Critter Mom and Sharon14 like this.
  5. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Bandit HATES baths. HATES, HATES, HATES them. So whenever I needed to get a urine sample from him (fortunately, we haven't needed to get one at home in many years), I would put a small, clean, empty litter box in end of the bath tub, put him in it, and turn on the water. Instant pee sample.

Of course, this method started to not be so pleasant once he started peeing ON me before I could get him in the tub all the way. I don't miss doing ketone tests, let me tell you!

6. Squalliesmom

That's a great idea! Except for the "anticipitory" pee, I can see where that would not be much fun, lol.

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Squalliesmom

BTW, I tried it this morning and it works in the daytime, too, lol! :D It's so funny to watch him, because it's just so immediate-no sniffing, no scratching, no finding the perfect spot, just drop-and-pee. A small ladle or a large cooking spoon, and Bob's-your-Uncle!

Olive & Paula and Critter Mom like this.
  8. Bama

Bama Member

How funny! I can't get Bama to pee on command like that. Sometimes when she is holding out on me I try putting on her holiday collar with jingle bells so I don't have to watch her like a hawk.

9. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

@Bama - I like your thinking. A lot.

:D

Squalliesmom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.