Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmorelli413

jmorelli413 New Member

I live in Murray Utah and have a kitty that has feline diabetes, I am not happy with my current vet and was woundering if anyone could help me find one that maybe specializes in diabetes or can help me with home testing etc. she had an attack last night (disoriented and not using her back legs) I gave her K. syrup like I have read to do them some food and she was acting much better but when I took her into the vet this morning I felt like they were blaming me for not giving her insulin right. I have an alram that goes off at 6:30am and 6:30pm and I am religous about giving it to her 7 unit each time I will even be late going places so I don't miss a dose. I'm at a loss here and really would appricate some help from someone.
    Thanks
    Me an Emma Lee

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Hi there :)

It sounds like your kitty was overdosed, which is a very scary thing. Could you please tell us how you reached a dose of 7 units twice a day? That is a high dose for most cats....dependent of course on the cat, what food you feed, etc. Are you testing blood glucose levels at home?

Could you please tell us also how she was diagnosed, what insulin you were giving, what food you are feeding, other medical conditions, etc? That will help us out a lot, plus I strongly recommend reading the fdmb faq at viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2502

Finally, after this episode, are you continuing to give 7 units?

Jen

3. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

It would help to know what insulin you are using.

4. jmorelli413

jmorelli413 New Member

I reached the dose after my vet diagnosed her, we started at one unit and went up from there each week until her glucose level reached 100 I should mention that one time it was as high as 600. I feed her Hill's Diet "rd" dry (she will not eat soft) and no I am not testing but would really like to learn I asked the vet today about it and she really didn't give me much info. I use Vetsulin Insulin and yes I am still giving 7 units, I called my vet last night (after her incident) and they told me not to give her shots that night or the next morning, when I took her in this morning she was already at 270 so they told me to continue with the 7 units. I will look at the site you sent me and appricate any help.

5. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Ok a couple of things but am on my blackberry so pls excuse if brief...

1. Rd is a really poor food and high in carbs. If you must feed dry there are better alternatives. Dry will incr insulin requirements and can cause or excerbate kidney and urinary issues

2 insulin dose should not be based on one measurement but on trends thru the day

3 insulin should be reduced for longer period post hypo and why did your vet not question whether dose is too much?

Please read the faq and yes get ready to jump into hometesting...

6. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Here is a direct link to the FAQ people have mentioned. If you'll go down to the "Monitoring your cat" section, there appear to be some links to pictures and videos.

http://binkyspage.tripod.com/faq.html
    4. MONITORING YOUR CAT -- GLUCOSE

It's very easy once you get used to it; the cats actually don't mind at all (especially because they ALWAYS get a treat after their poke). Walmart sells the ReliOn Micro, which uses a tiny speck of blood.

Hang in there - diabetes is very treatable once you get better information. This site is FULL of information - I would read everything you can find around here and the main page.

7. jmorelli413

jmorelli413 New Member

Thanks everyone for your help, I will look around and post if I have anymore questions (which I'm sure I will). I feel like I'm flying blind and scared to death!!

8. Mary and Jolly

Mary and Jolly Member

Hi there,
    I know you must feel very scared and confused. Most of us were there at some point.
    Just from what you have said, I have the feeling your kitty is getting too much insulin. Unless your cat has been diagnosed with another medical condition or is insulin resistant, 7 units is a very large dose for a fast acting and short duration insulin.
    Most vets will prescribed the dose of Vetsulin or Humulin N like based on weight like they do for dogs. However cats metabolise differently and should start on a low dose and slowly increase while being tested to be sure how the insulin is effecting your cat's Blood glucose levels.
    I am certainly not a vet, but can share my own personal experience using Caninsulin (canadian version of vetsulin), as well as viewing others having good results on smaller doses.
    Just remember every cat is different.
    Please read the sticky on Vetsulin if that is what your administering to your cat at present. Here is the link.

Vetsulin User Guide

9. ceil99

ceil99 Member

7u twice a day is very, very, very, very high dose. WOW nailbite_smile

If you are feeding dry and sounds like she may have hypo and gotten too much insulin is really something. The dry will usually prevent hypo, so I believe you are DEFINITELY giving too much insulin..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.