UTI infection in 11 year old diabetic cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ann & Maggie11 (GA), May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My cat, Maggie, was diagnosed with Dabetes Mellitus January 4 of this year and is on Lantus insulin and doing very well. It was suggested by someone on LL that I post here with a question on urine testing. She has an E-coli bacterial infection in her urinary tract. She is on Amox/Clauvulante every 12 hours. Her first dose was this past Saturday. I have her scheduled to return in 10 days to the Vet for a repeat urine sample to test whether the antibiotic is doing its job with ridding the infection. Is ten days too soon for a urine test? I believe the Vet said two weeks and then in another sentence mentioned 10 days. I wonder if I should reschedule to make it 14 days from the start day of taking the antibiotic? I will also call the Vet again to clarify his answer.

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Ann, I would keep her on the antibiotics and wait 14 days.....Diabetics can take longer to clear up. My one diabetic also had an E-coli infection and she was on the abs for a month. We then waited a few days after the abs were stopped and did another culture to make sure it had cleared up.

3. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Many thanks Hope. This is what I was thinking that 10 days might be too soon. The Vet is not always clear with me and rushes off the phone before I can ask more questions. I appreciate the feedback. I hope your kitty is doing okay. Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.