Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Louie B

Louie B Member

sweet Louie has another UTI. Started last Friday. He was acting lethargic and sad. Went to vet and they did BW. Elevated WBC, so they gave him injectible antibiotic. He seemed better over the weekend. Then we were in ER last night bc I thought he might be blocked. He was straining so. He had fever. He wasn’t better this morning, so I took him to the regular vet. They are sending off a culture. Now he’s on pain meds and another antibiotic while we wait.
    My question is—are there any supplements I can give him to help prevent UTIs? He doesn’t like the science diet Rx food. He was on Sheba Pate but cooled on that too. He had lost 3 lbs at vet Friday, so vet said put him on lowest carb FF, which he LOVES. (For now—haha). He has kidney disease but his kidney values were good, so at least some good news!

2. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Hi sorry to hear about Louie (love his name) give him lots of :bighug::bighug:

It is usually a bit hard to get rid of a UTI in diabetic cats, they usually need various rounds of antibiotics and you will need to do another culture about 15 days after he finishes the antibiotics to make sure he's ok and at least twice more one month apart.

There is a supplement called D-mannose that has worked wonderfully for Babu and for my civies to control and avoid recurrent UTI's specially if in the culture comes out that he has e-coli (the most common result)
    Here's some very good information about it in Tanya's website

http://www.felinecrf.org/pyelonephritis_utis.htm#dmannose

3. Louie B

Louie B Member

Oh, gosh! I didn’t realize it could drag on so long! Those urine cultures are $250 each!!!!!
    Is the supplement pill form? How do you give it? I have the worst time trying to give Louie any meds!
    I saw something called HomeoPet feline for UTI on chewy. Has really good reviews—4.5 stars with 100 reviews. Seems like it has a fairly mild taste. Have you heard of it?

4. Louie B

Louie B Member

I’m just seeing in the article that it’s pleasant tasting! Yay!

5. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Yes actually it is kind of sweet in taste (none of my cats seem to really mind the flavor) but it has never raised Babu's numbers ( I know there are quite a few here that also use it ) still I do suggest you monitor the first time you use it

What I do is I dissolve 1/8 of a teaspoon in approximately 2 ml of water and I syringe feed him this water once every other day as a maintenance program but if I suspect he may be developing an infection I give it daily , when he actually has an UTI I give it to him twice a day on top of the antibiotic and I've found it helps clear the infection faster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.