Vegas ringworm Canada

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by alexanne, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexanne

alexanne Member

Sorry I haven't been on-line for a while. I was just on-line about Peachy who has diabetes.
    Peachy and Vegas are both 14 years old. They live in Canada, Mississauga.

Vegas was declared clear of ringworm - but he still has skin problem which was diagnosed as allergies in 2008 by the very first vet Peachy and Vegas ever had - call him vet number 1. Vegas also has a big problem of "thinking outside the box" - that is he does his business in inappropriate areas. This started in 2008 after vet No.1 diagnosed the allergies. I seemed to get him straighted out to using his box again by keeping him in the bathroom till he used it. This finally worked. But it has started again after he had a urine infection and was taken to vet No.2 - costs for these tests and Peachy's tests for diabetes amounted to over $2,000.

Vet No.2 was the vet in February 2010 who diagnosed the ringworm. They supplied this very expensive medication Itraconazole - $270 for 50 ml bottle. On the diabetes site I was saying that I have since changed vets again - Vet No.3 - this vet moved in across the street. He hasn't seen Vegas as yet, but I will be taking him to see this vet No.3 later but he has seen Peachy who has the diabetes.

Although this is a site for general health I was writing in the diabetes site about veterinarian costs. I had been saying that I had felt somewhat guilty in thinking of costs as opposed to the companion animal's health. However being a senior on a very limited budget the cost of vet services is very important. I would advise everybody, especially seniors on fixed incomes to shop around - most vets have web sites and you can use their contact address or simply call or drop in to the office to ask information on costs. Since changing my vet (i.e. vet No.2) in the case of Peachy - the vet No.2 had supplied insulin - 2.5 ml for $28. This vet No.3 supplied a 10ml bottle for $75 - 10ml from vet No.2 would cost $112 plus 4 fifteen minute car rides back and forth to get each bottle. That is $37 more expensive for the same item. Also my new vet No.3 charges $48 for consultation and the vet No.2 $60. I had made arrangement to have the vet No.2 demonstrate taking blood to test the Blood Glucose. It would have cost $50 for that service. Vet No.3 charged me $27.00 and this was for needles to do the testing, alcohol to swab the ear, swabs to apply the alcohol and ecaps for their skin condition - both Peachy and Vegas have dry skin. There was no consultation fee.

It may be that there are some people in the Mississauga area - Rathburn and Tomken who would like to have information on this vet No.3 Clinic. If you would send me a private e-mail I I can let you have the details.

I recommend that when looking for a vet or with your current vet if you don't already know exactly, that you be open and feel no embarrassment in asking about fees. I was very honest with the vet No.2 and this new one vet No.3 and advised that I was on a fixed income and cost was very important. Just like car mechanics if you don't know anything about it you can find yourself in the hands of an unscrupulous vendor. Not that the vet No.2 was this, he had many overheads such as 3 vets, 4/5 technicians. 4/5 receptionists and large premises. This vet No.3 has himself and one receptionist. However, in choosing a vet besides asking point blank for fee schedules you should take into account the size of the practice - the more overheads the bigger the fee. Last but not least, interview your vet and see how you"feel" - what "vibes" do you get. A good sense of humour is always a good pointer to a happier person - sullen and gruff and unresponsive is not good. I think I have very good people instincts and if you have that is a good skill in judging how dedicated a vet may be. Of course cost is important, but good service is equally important for the health, care and safety of your companion.

Thanks to all who replied on Vegas condition - I hope the above on the subject of choosing a vet, cost and good service may assist someone.

2. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting all your good advice for others here, Alexanne!

So glad that Vegas does not have ringworm.

Take care! Hope things get straightened out with Vegas and whatever allergens may be causing his skin problems.

Jean and Charcoal (GA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.