Vegas ringwormCanada

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by alexanne, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexanne

alexanne Member

I am in Mississauga Canada - I have Peachy the diabetic cat - I also have Vegas - the ringworm and allergy cat. Both are 14 years old and Vegas was diagnosed with allergies in August 2008 - He was on Medi-cal weight control food and so was Peachy. At that time I changed his food to Performatrinultra which is salmon based - most foods have chicken products as their base - I thought maybe he was allergic to chicken - that was in Aug. 2008. Both Peachy and Vegas only had the dry food Medi cal weight control - I had always thought that dry food was the best and got this from my vet who had been with me for about 30 years have taken care of my epileptic cat for 18 years before Peachy and Vegas. The vet never said anything about tinned food. For Vegas' urinary track and teeth I always thought that dry was best.

At that time of the allergies Vegas started not using the litter box and I had to put him in the bathroom with the litter box and have his bed in there only letting him out after he had appropriately used the litter box. This works and is continuing at this time. His inappropriate behavious is a problem in a small apartment carpeted throughout.

However, when he had the allergy condition I started giving him fancy feast keeping the food to fish types to avoid the chicken. This method improved the allergy condition and so it remained till two weeks ago when Peachy was diagnosed with diabetes. At that time the vet gave Peachy the DM food and tins of DM - he recommended DD food for Vegas' skin. Vegas loved the DM dry and tinned food and didn't like the DD food. I was surprised to find that he had ringworm - they are indoor cats and never come in contact with any other cats. Also I did not see any lesions as shown for ringworm. However, the vet prescribed a medication itraconazole - very expensive $270 for a very small bottle - Vegas is now taking the diabetic food dry and tinned plus the itraconazole. I found that he seemed to be getting dehydrated and not urinating. I took him off the medication and changed his food back to the original Performatrinultra and fancy feast fish - he did start to urinate. When I told the vet I had taken him off the medication he said it couldn't be that causing dehydration - I put him back on the medication and he again dried up - so at this time he is not taking the medication. I have yet to discuss this with the vet.

Between Peachy's food change and she refuses tinned food and her medication Caninsulin which I have just discovered seems to be a problem with this type of insulin and Vegas' medication and food change I am considerably confused at the moment. I have posted on the diabetes site and received helpful information. I am hoping that someone here can give some insight to ringworm, allergies and suggestions for food. There are so many brands and it is hard to know what to give them. Also I have to find some method of encouraging Peachy to have tinned food. Any suggestions!

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read all this lengthy story and for your suggestions.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I looked up the side effects for itraconazole and found nothing about urinary retention. Itraconazole is a good anti-fungal but is hard on the liver. An old treatment is dipping the cat in a solution of Lime-sulfur. The stuff stinks and and to be repeated weekly. Se the following for additional info on ringworm.
    http://www.newmanveterinary.com/Facts%2 ... gworm.html

Was the ringwoarm diagnosed via a culture (DTM) and looking at the growth under a microscope?

3. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Is there anyway you can do sulfur dips for your ringworm baby at home I know it smells bad but its the best thing in the world for ringworm and it also helps allergy skin as well
    Do Lou has allergies and gets a sulfur dip about once a month in spring/fall when he is itching really bad it makes such a big diff for him. I have fought ringworm in a young aby before but never a older cat and it was quite a learning experience it was not until one day at work(I am a vet tech) that my vet said that dipping Do Lou would help the allergies and boy did it ever. http://www.entirelypets.com/limesul...-EC27-DF11-9DA0-002219319097&mr:referralID=NA this is what I use it has to be diluted and yes it smells bad but I think it would help your girl the med you are using is a very good med but I think you could just do the dips and avoid oral meds altogether if you and the cat could put up with them

4. alexanne

alexanne Member

Hi Lisa aand Do Lou and Larry and Kitties - thanks for your help - I have no idea how they did the test to diagnose ringworm. I did see in the side effects of itraconazole that it could cause pain in urinating. The vet recommended this method as being the easiest - I can now see why - I wouldn't like to try to bathe Vegas (black male) at least 14lbs. and goes ballistic when we take him to the vet to get his nails cut. I know the smell of sulfur - I am allergic to sulfur at least internal medication. I worked in a laboratory many years ago - it was a starch works and every so often they had this horrible smell of sulfur - so I remember how awful it is. I could put up with it, but I don't think Vegas would or would certainly not let us dip him.

I certainly believe it would help those allergies of his. I am taking him in tomorrow to have him tested again and discuss this with the vet. He hasn't been urinating as often as he should.

I mentioned I am on the diabetes site getting information on my other kitty, Peachy female - also 14 years old. she has just been diagnosed with diabetes a couple of weeks ago - I am going through the learning curve of injections and will have to learn about home testing. Also she has had dry food all her life and doesn't want to eat the tinned stuff - I am having a problem in figuring out ways to get her to take the tinned stuff.

I am very glad there is this site with all this information. On the diabetes site I have found several people who are from Canada and some very close to me. So that's a big help.

Thanks to you all for replying - I'll keep you posted.

5. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes keep us posted sometimes the vet will dip your cat a a low cost do not know if this is a option either if you want to avoid oral meds we do this where I work but yes this forum is a wealth of info for diabetes I myself am still learning as well my cat is still not regulated but we have been on lantus now a week so hoping so see some improvement maybe this week time will tell let us know how you babies do with the allergies and the RW :smile:

6. alexanne

alexanne Member

Taking my babies in to the vet tomorrow - Peachy for her diabetes and Vegas for his ringworm. I'll report back on both.

7. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Hi Alexanne,

Also, while you are at the vet's, if you read this before going, ask the vet about whether he would prescribe "Phenoxabenzymine" capsules (Brand name is Dibenzyline) which have to be formulated into a certain amount for cats that have urinary spasms. I used them for years with my Rudder, who had spasming problems from FLUTD, and also I used them to help Proto, but alas, he blocked last year and I had to let him go. :(

Sometimes, also they say urinary problem cats do well on Amitryptiline (I had Proto on that, but he seemed to gain too much weight on it) or on Prozac.

The best thing for a cat with FLUTD/Cystitis is to feed them wet food only. Plus make sure he will drink water, or add water to his food, or have you tried a fountain?

Another good thing, probably the best medicine to have on hand, is Buprenex for PAIN. Cats that have Interstitial Cystitis or FLUTD and seem to strain, are usually in a lot of PAIN. Would your vet let you have any of that to bring home to have on hand in case of emergency? Or if Vegas seems to be in pain? Buprenex is a narcotic medicine that is carried only by vets, and a lot of vets in the states do not carry it. Buprenex needs to be kept somewhere in the 'dark' of a cabinet where it will not get hot. Fortunately I finally found a vet here that does carry Bupe, and I have a little bit on hand for my Ketchie when she needs it. The biggest thing with a male cat with urinary issues, is watching that they pee enough, and do not block.

Has Vegas ever had bleeding from his urinary area? If he should start going a lot in and out of the litter box, seeming to strain, that is when you really need to get him to a vet's ASAP.

Take care! I hope you will be able to get Peachy started on the Glargine (LANTUS). Keep us posted.

Hugs,
    Jean and Charcoal (GA)

8. alexanne

alexanne Member

Peachy - posted in diabetic site. Progressing well.

Vegas is another story - he had his blood test for the ringworm and when the vet called today he hadn't got that results back. He does have an inflamed urinary tract infection - and I was given a bottle of Glucosamine HCL called Ubavet Plus on the vet's label on the bottle- 2 ml a day. This he said would help his arthritis and also coat his stomach. I was given more cans of Hills DC diet this time - I had returned Purina DD which was for his skin and the second box of dermascent - The DD he wouldn't touch and the dermoscent seemed to be causing baldness at the back of his neck and some small lesions - I offered him the DC and he wouldn't touch it - I offered him the Whiskas chicken pouch and he wouldn't go for that although he did take the beef pouch the other day. He did eat a whole tin of Fancy Feast Salmon feast which he had before - I had to make sure he ate something. I also added about a quarter cup of water to the food to make sure he was getting enough water - I reported this today and the vet said just to make sure he was getting the water - Vegas has been urinating on his blanket unfortunately and because of the procedure yesterday to test the urine he was having blood in that urine on his blanket. I know this can happen after that test - I had urinary problems and after the test came home and was in pain and having bleeding for quite a while so it didn't surprise me. He is obviously so upset about yesterday and wouldn't use his box. He did use it for a bowel movement - so he is having that. I have changed his blanket three times now - the last time there was urine but I didn't see blood so at least that was something.

I am almost hand feeding him with different foods soaked in water. I think I might put some water in the syringe and feed him that way to make sure he is getting enough water. He did take the food with the water and also had some of Peachy's dry food and some sardines I had out for her.

I am going nuts with all this but will have to persevere. Not least is the huge cost - the testing of Vegas for fungus and urine problems and Peachy for the diabetes was $500 - Now a total of over $2,000 - lucky I have the line of credit which is a lower interest rate. But I hope with the major tests over the costs of future testing won't be so high. It is scary.

9. alexanne

alexanne Member

Peachy - the vet called back and I haven't arranged to start on the other insulin - I'm a bit nervous about that - the result from the current insulin is good - I have talked with him about changing and he hasn't put anything in the way of doing that - at this time he has recommended that I give 1 U at night and 2 U in the morning. I sort of instinctively feel that this is correct - her urination is down almost to normal, a bit more than it should be but not as bad as before. Her weight is up- I could tell this just by picking her up. So for the moment at least till this bottle is finished I'll continue with the Caninsulin. I'm maybe being chicken, but since I think the present results are good - I'll stay for a time on what works.

Vegas is another story - he had his blood test for the ringworm and when the vet called today he hadn't got that results back. He does have an inflamed urinary tract infection - and I was given a bottle of Glucosamine HCL called Ubavet Plus on the vet's label on the bottle- 2 ml a day. This he said would help his arthritis and also coat his stomach. I was given more cans of Hills DC diet this time - I had returned Purina DD which was for his skin and the second box of dermascent - The DD he wouldn't touch and the dermoscent seemed to be causing baldness at the back of his neck and some small lesions - I offered him the DC and he wouldn't touch it - I offered him the Whiskas chicken pouch and he wouldn't go for that although he did take the beef pouch the other day. He did eat a whole tin of Fancy Feast Salmon feast which he had before - I had to make sure he ate something. I also added about a quarter cup of water to the food to make sure he was getting enough water - I reported this today and the vet said just to make sure he was getting the water - Vegas has been urinating on his blanket unfortunately and because of the procedure yesterday to test the urine he was having blood in that urine on his blanket. I know this can happen after that test - I had urinary problems and after the test came home and was in pain and having bleeding for quite a while so it didn't surprise me. He is obviously so upset about yesterday and wouldn't use his box. He did use it for a bowel movement - so he is having that. I have changed his blanket three times now - the last time there was urine but I didn't see blood so at least that was something.

I am almost hand feeding him with different foods soaked in water. I think I might put some water in the syringe and feed him that way to make sure he is getting enough water. He did take the food with the water and also had some of Peachy's dry food and some sardines I had out for her.

I am going nuts with all this but will have to persevere. Not least is the huge cost - the testing of Vegas for fungus and urine problems and Peachy for the diabetes was $500 - Now a total of over $2,000 - lucky I have the line of credit which is a lower interest rate. But I hope with the major tests over the costs of future testing won't be so high. It is scary.

10. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Hi Alexanne,

Thanks for the update. Did you ask the vet about pain meds to have on hand for Vegas? I sure hope things get settled down for you soon with the two cats. The costs add up so quickly when going for tests, etc. It is hard enough just buying food and litter, that's for sure.

Take care and hang in there! Hopefully everything will get sorted out eventually for both kitties!

Hugs,
    Jean and Charcoal (GA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.